Search results

1. R

Lysterfield tracks OK?

Definitely worth a look! The tracks are awesome at the moment.
  2. R

Giant Reign 1 upgrades?

Grips yes, now using Rogues. Tyres definitely, as mentioned previously the Conti Mountain Kings are superb (not sure how easy to get in Oz, so probably not that popular due to that). The OEM stem on mine was 90mm, so I changed it for a 90mm Thomson, so no need to worry about hitting my knee on...
  3. R

Giant Reign 1 upgrades?

Not sure what OEM tyres come with it, but my Reign 0 had Hutchinson Barracuda's and they are slow as, which took some of the enjoyment out of riding uphills. I've ended up sticking Conti Mountain King 2.4s on mine and it has made the world of difference with grip, lower rolling resistance and...
  4. R

Upsell Me...

Nice work, I'm 175cm (with shorter legs) and ended up with the Small or 16" Reign, so depending on leg length either small or medium would be the go.
  5. R

Upsell Me...

I've come back into the sport after a 10 year absence, plenty of on road and bike path riding on the MTB though. Being around 95Kg and 175cm not the lightest of pilots. I instinctly went with a hardtail setup with good components and ended up with a reasonably light bike. For short sprints...
  6. R

All Mountain bike - what would you recommend?

So how did you go with the Mongoose?
  7. R

All Mountain bike - what would you recommend?

A good comprise between weight and travel that might be more freely available is the Giant Reign. With good components these are around the 12~13Kg mark and start from 6 inch travel on the back and 5.5 on the front. There are plenty of good frames/bikes out there, but you mightn't have to...
  8. R

Mavic Crossrides or Cross trails

I've got the Cross Rides on my HT and they were only $250 delivered from the UK late last year. They are a little heavy compared to some of the higher end Mavic wheels, but compared to what is fitted to lower end mountain bikes they are usually lighter. I've see a Scott bike that was over $5k...
  9. R

brakes that rock

Sounds interesting, please keep us up to date!
  10. R

upgrading components on giant yukon FX

How about some new tyres? Potential to save weight, gain control and improve climbing performance. Personally I'd stick with minimalist clip in pedals and work on your skill rather than use platform pedals. Depending on the type of riding, these can be more of a hinderance and do add some...
  11. R

Muppet that caused 60 bike pile up last year is truely a knob

More reasons to ride offroad. Breaking the law or not, I wouldn't trust the average motorist with my life.
  12. R

Any Tall Reign Riders?

Not sure if it helps you, but I'm 5' 9 and use the smallest frame. So it is certainly possible that the largest frame should be OK. I haven't changed the stem or seat post though and find it roomy enough.
  13. R

brakes that rock

I've been using various disc brake systems over the years and can't speak highly enough of the Formula ORO K18's I bought for my hardtail. The brakes feel good from the get go and I haven't really given them a moments thought in over 2 months of riding. The levers are a good length, the brake...
  14. R

Trading access FAQ

There is probably a back log...
  15. R

Post Your XC Machine

Thanks for the feedback... The paint job was $400.
  16. R

Post Your XC Machine

I will put this up again shortly. Sorry for removing it.
  17. R

Trading access FAQ

How long have you been waiting? It is definitely a little frustrating...
  18. R

How do I make a homemade chainstay protector?

Inner tube with cable tie at one end... I'm no expert, I've only been using it for a few weeks, but definitely a great idea.
  19. R

Trading access FAQ

Probably put this in the wrong place, so may as well remove it. Please feel free to remove this post from the thread as it is obviously off topic.
  20. R

Knobby Sport Crits (Eastern Suburbs Melb)

D grade seems to be about 15~20 I'd guess. Last time I was there on a Wednesday there were about 60~70 people.