Search results

1. M

Races for beginners?

+1 for this. I am an unfit MTB hack and joint WSMTB a few years ago and they are friendly helpful and the races are great fun on a good track.
  2. M

Alkaline Diet

THanks for the valuable feedback. I have a list of alkalising foods from the net, so it includes foods which are acidic but have an alkalising effect such as lemons & limes. Meat, beer & Diet Coke are going to be hardest to weed out,
  3. M

Alkaline Diet

Anyone know anything about this? It seems to make sense but it also looks a bit like a bit too obvious, if it was authentic, surely everyone would have been onto it years ago?
  4. M

Hazard Reduction Burn in Royal National Park Loftus Trails -COMPLETED-trails are OPEN

Bugger...I have never ridden Loftus or RNP and I have a half days work in Sutherland tomorrow and had planned to duck over there for a ride afterwards. I assume it would be off limits tomorrow?
  5. M

Rider etiquette sticky?

Dumb Question I know Here is a bit of a dumb question I am sure. I seem to be a perpetual beginner, racing XC with WSMTB, I used to generally finish at the rear of D grade. Lots of fun, not much fitness or skill. As a result I am VERY well versed at getting out of the road of faster riders 95%...
  6. M

Events, racing etc. How to get started?

+1 I am hopeless and unfit and at my local races (WSMTB) people couldnt be more welcoming and inclusive. At my first "race" one guy in B grade sped past me and gave me his name and asked me to see him after the race. When I did he told me that he could see that I was new and then went on to give...
  7. M

Spin Bikes - What model do you have and would you recommend it?

Another vote/suggestion here to use a trainer rather than a spin bike. I use a JetBlack fluid trainer with my MTB and I find it really good to use, it is easy and quick taking it off/putting it on. Resistance is as simple as changing gears. It feel svery similar to riding on the road. I...
  8. M

Giant Anthem X2 or suggest alternatives?

Thanks to all for the fantastic info
  9. M

Giant Anthem X2 or suggest alternatives?

I have had a great introduction to MTB over the last say 3 years. Absolutely loving it, getting a lot fitter and racing XC occassionally out at WSMTB. I am 43, getting fitter and generally tooling around at the back of the pack in D grade at WSMTB. I have been riding my first bike being a 2006...
  10. M

WSMTB Club XC round 6 - 11th September Blue Gum Lodge

Great day What a great day...I really enjoyed it. As always WSMTB put on a great event and the track was fantastic. I was really dreading it because for one reason or another I havent been on a bike for a month.Predictably I went badly with my lungs blowing out early. I came second last in D...
  11. M

WSMTB Club XC round 6 - 11th September Blue Gum Lodge

This rain will make the Palletive Care section interesting....
  12. M

WSMTB Blue Gum on Sunday

Ahhhh! Ahhh! dammit I just checked the calendar and realise that its at Yellomundee this week and Blue gum next month......sshoulda checked before posting. Did it change?
  13. M

WSMTB Blue Gum on Sunday

I have been looking forward to getting back to Blue Gum this year for the WSMTB round. I have mixed feelings now because a) I havent ridden/trained enough and b) the thought of "Palletive Care" in the wet does my head in. What effect is this rain going to have for Sunday?
  14. M

Advice: 2011 Giant Anthem x2, Giant Trance x2 or Scott Spark 50.

Loving this thread I am a very low level rider (race D grade at WSMTB) and unfortunately (due to divorce) I am about to come into a little money and will be looking into upgrading from my poor old Giant Yukon. This thread has been a great resource as i am looking at spending around AUD$2K on...
  15. M

Technique: Holding my breath/grips

I'm a novice and really trying to improve (with the limited track time I get) but I have noticed that I steer with my feet a LOT. I assume this is a bad thing? When I started I used to just tear into a corner, lean in and go for it. Until one dry day and I had the front wash out under me...
  16. M

Mt Annan

I only rode two laps and yes I was by myself. YOu are also correct about the unfair comparison after riding Awaba. I am riding Mt Stromlo tomorrow.
  17. M

Mt Annan

This is why I feel like a MTB snob. I think the "problem" with Mt Annan (based on only one ride) is the volume of non MTB riders riding the track. They dont really understand the sport and the green/blue/black principles, nor do they know and therefore respect the many principles of our sport...
  18. M

Social Mountain Biking Clubs in or around Sydney

I wouldnt get too hung up on the "social" or "non racing" side of things. I have found the MTB fraternity to be incredibly friendly and helpful. I regularly attend WSMTB race days and whilst it is still a race, it is also just like riding with 120 of your closest friends.
  19. M

Mt Annan

Today was the second leg of my Tour De Easter and it was my first ride of the MTB trail at Mt Annan. Let me say first up that it is great to see a new MTB facility provided in this area and it is a great resource that will give more people a taste of this great sport. Now that I have got...
  20. M

Awaba

I rode Awaba for the first time yesterday and I rode the whole first loop with a grin on my face. What a great trail. I love watching those "Ride Guide" MTB shows on foxtel of guys flowing through Canadian & US forests and riding Awaba yesterday is the closest I can imagine to that experience...