Search results

1. S

The discount code thread

Cheers man! Working for me as well. New 5.10 spitfires on their way :) Pity dirtbags (lows) are hard to come by now, such a good shoe for casual and commuter duties.
  2. S

Murder or self defense?

All my bike gear is downstairs. My better half would pinch it for her arty creations if any were left lying around. Do I ride? Check out the rotor wear bro! Think you've convinced me about the gladius poodle.
  3. S

Murder or self defense?

I normally keep my old cricket bat (SS Jumbo FTW!) next to our bed, along with a 9 iron. Maybe I should add one of these to the collection? Looks like machetes are legal in SA.
  4. S

Share your top 3 MTB tips

Ride with flats, even if it's just occasionally. Try dry chain lube. RnR Gold works for me. Learn to dirt jump, even if you're an old fart. You may never be stylish or go huge, but getting air is rad, and like flat pedals, will make you a better rider. Allow your body time to recover after...
  5. S

[SA] Fox Creek Trail Works

Fundraiser for improvements to the Fox Creek trail network. If you've ever had the chance to ride at Fox Creek, you'll know what an awesome job Human Projectile do, and how good the trails are out there, so crack open the credit card and throw some dollars their way, cheers!
  6. S

Basic pedal advice needed - XC vs Trail

Give flats a decent chance before rejecting them outright. Not sure the uphill argument works out when you consider most trials riders use flats. Also this anecdotal video. After 4 or 5 years on them for all my bikes, doubt I'll ever go back to clips. Flats are more fun, more balanced...
  7. S

Need more air

Some good tips here, I've made all these mistakes :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwBDzITzpZo Unfortunately, due to a few people axing themselves on the jumps I showed before, the builders were forced to mellow them out, so they're not as good as they were :(
  8. S

Breakthrough in dynamically variable negative stiffness structures

This press release just appeared in my news feed. Might be applicable for mtb suspension in the future? I've got no idea, but the video is pretty cool.
  9. S

LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Just thought I'd share my current set up as it's working well, and most came from posts scattered throughout this thread, thanks guys! Links are to the buyers I purchased from. Lights: 2x Solar Storm x2 * Batteries: 2x Panasonic 18650 Case: Nitefire ** Charger: Nitecore D4 All my batteries...
  10. S

140mm travel frame choice advice...

Not sure what it'd cost you on import duties, but this seems like a reasonable deal. I know it's 130mm up front, but shouldn't be hard to bump to 140mm.
  11. S

New rules for cyclists in NSW - Safe passing distances, but massive fines as well....

Which is exactly what (should) happens when you get more people riding bikes. Fair enough, I'd have thought their vulnerability was about the same. I just included those to show the difference in risk between bikes and motor vehicles with respect to pedestrians. There is a huge difference...
  12. S

New rules for cyclists in NSW - Safe passing distances, but massive fines as well....

I guess it's all relative, but this study shows that in Australia: Seems like we'd be far better off focusing on reducing the risk for pedestrians from motor vehicles rather than bicyclists. A good way to do that is getting more people to ride bikes :)
  13. S

Help me build the God bike.

Holy Shit Grips.
  14. S

The "I will ride _____km in 2024" thread - commit and conquer here!!

5,000 km commuting (easy) 1,000 km trails (hard)
  15. S

Whisky!

Monkey Shoulder doing a decent job of nullifying this farkin lurgy now that BNJ is no more. No point spending squillions on an anaesthetic, but you've got to have standards.
  16. S

Which credit card?

+1. I think I've paid about $2 in interest using them over the last decade. I used to use a debit card, but my credit union added extra fees so it doesn't come out unless withdrawing from an ATM. This is also good if you have the discipline, or even interest only if you want tax advantages if...
  17. S

LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

CSA: Good price on unprotected 18650 batteries that were mentioned previously in this thread.
  18. S

Teenagers and Mobile Phone Plans ....

You can get a prepaid plan with no data, i.e. just voice and sms, which limits internet access to wifi or (bluetooth/hotspot) tethering. Will save you ~$300-400 a year easy. Of course if mobile data gets turned on, you will chew through your prepaid very quickly. fwiw, I spend ~$50-70 a year...
  19. S

Rockshox Pike RC 160mm SOLD

Year? Steerer length?
  20. S

Buying a House - Opinions needed?

Alternatively, you could buy a cheaper place, perhaps smaller, older, or further out from the CBD, which you can pay off much faster. I agree you want a decent deposit to avoid mortgage insurance, but 9 years is a long time to pay rent and miss out on capital growth. fwiw, I bought a very...