LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Here is why unprotected lithium polymer is silly. It has produced gas byproducts due to a non catastrophic failure, thank god it didn't ignite.

This pack had done 400+ cycles. Never taken below 3.6v per cell. Always charged at 1amp with balanced chargers. 3800mAh high quality pack that is 8 years old. Didn't loose capacity, but was confused why I couldn't get it out of the enclosure

Moving to protected 18650 lion very soon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451816653.483591.jpg

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So ordered a solarstorm before Christmas and it's turned up today, after seeing the hoverboard recalls I'm not sure i want this in my house? Is it possible to make these safe without bulk money? Any advice welcome I'm not really knowledgeable with these..

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Are the batteries protected? I assume its come with a 4x 18650 cell battery pack?

If you have the equipment id just double check the charger is cutting out / finishing charging at the correct voltage and the current output is within spec.

The cheap chinese cells are generally speaking way under their specified capacity but they do the job, odds are they will be fine but dont expect the run times as advertised.

If you want to be safe / cautious then id suggest you dont charge them while your not around to keep an eye on things (ie dont put them on charge then go to bed). While they are charging you can feel them every now and again to make sure they arent getting hot.

Should you wish to maxamise safety and also gain significent run times the best thing to do would be to make your own battery pack using protected Panasonic 18650 cells made in Japan but it really isnt crucial, again the ones you have should be fine.

Travis.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Modes-So...ery-Charger-/161890656992?txnId=1351476732006

This is what I got.

I've read about a couple going up while charging but also of other lipos catching on fire while at idle. I'm not sure i can risk it. I don't really have a suitable area to limit a fire if one was to happen. Carport is probably best i can do...

Doubtful the cells are individually protected in the pack, just a charging controller. I would not charge inside a house, outside would be wise, or inside a surplus ammunition box from Aussie disposals with an electrical connector mounted on the box so you can close the lid.

or a Lipo bag.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable...416753?hash=item5b1ed6c9b1:g:7OUAAOSwKtlWj1K-

Last edited:

si618

Likes Dirt
Just thought I'd share my current set up as it's working well, and most came from posts scattered throughout this thread, thanks guys!

Links are to the buyers I purchased from.

Lights: 2x Solar Storm x2 *
Batteries: 2x Panasonic 18650
Case: Nitefire **
Charger: Nitecore D4

All my batteries get stored in the fridge in this bag when not in use.

* The batteries it came with are hit and miss. One pack is still ok(ish) after a year, and used as backup. The other is kaput. One of my lights also stopped working but it was just a broken connection and a 5 minute job to open up and solder.
** I wrapped electrical tape around the usb and other connector to keep them together and for a bit of waterproofing on the usb socket, which makes for a nice power bank.

Last edited:

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
Just thought I'd share my current commuter setup as it's working a treat, and most of it came from posts scattered throughout this thread, thanks guys!

All my batteries get stored in the fridge in this bag when not in use.
really....? whats the deal there? i havent heard of the bags/fridge thing...?

ive got the solarstorm x2 and have been running it for about 3 years...still really happy with its performance & its an excellent value light. got my battery pack last year with 6x 18650 / 7200mAh for ultra long use time...charger from the same ebay seller (domitronic)

hathill

Likes Dirt

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just thought I'd share my current set up as it's working well, and most came from posts scattered throughout this thread, thanks guys!

Links are to the buyers I purchased from.

Lights: 2x Solar Storm x2 *
Batteries: 2x Panasonic 18650
Case: Nitefire **
Charger: Nitecore D4

I've got the Mont 24 on next week and thinking of running a combo similar to this.
Does anyone if you can get a similar battery setup from local suppliers? Or a battery upgrade?
Bit hesitant to rely on the solar storm batteries as they sound very hit and miss.

cragv

Squid
Here is why unprotected lithium polymer is silly. It has produced gas byproducts due to a non catastrophic failure, thank god it didn't ignite.

This pack had done 400+ cycles. Never taken below 3.6v per cell. Always charged at 1amp with balanced chargers. 3800mAh high quality pack that is 8 years old. Didn't loose capacity, but was confused why I couldn't get it out of the enclosure

Moving to protected 18650 lion very soon.
(Please excuse the thread resurrection, I found it after a mod linked from another more recent one on lights! Didn't notice until after posting!)

For what it's worth to those considering using LiPO, I have 30+ batteries of varying sizes from 1S (3.7V nominal) to 4S (14.8V nominal) and varying capacities (50mAh to 6.4A). These batteries have been subjected to huge G forces, impacts at over 100km/h in model vehicles, operating in sub-zero to 60+ degrees C ambient. They're charged and balanced using good equipment and are charged and stored safely. These batteries have been cycled many times and sometimes for periods of years. They are run to about 3.2v/cell regularly and some of these have over 250 cycles.

To the point: I've had 3 batteries 'puff' on me as pictured. Two times were due to my negligence in fully charging them and then in not using them within a week or so. (The secret to using LiPO batteries safely is to use a proper charger to store rather than charge them unless you're ready to use them. If they're charged and not used, they puff like this.

The time the third battery puffed: this was a 3S 6400mAh battery that sustained an awful collision in an offroad RC truck that got wrapped around the corner of a brick wall at 70-80km/h. The truck was lightly damaged as the battery took the brunt of the force. The magic smoke was emitted and you better believe I ripped that thing out of the chassis in about 3 seconds flat! It puffed seemingly at the time of the impact so I left it in a bucket of very salty water for a few weeks before safely disposing of it at my local battery facility.

So, LiPO on bike lights? It's a yes with me (I've just built one this week), but safe handling is important! Respect them and you're golden. In theory. :)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Advice on Solarstorms and question on soldering irons:

• I've been commuting on my hardtail with very stiff forks for about two months now and 75% of that commute are on pretty rough trails. 75% of the commuting is done in the dark with my lights on, rattling like fark in on the bars. My solarstorm stopped working the other day for no reason that I could tell. I took the back plate off to find that the nut on the inside that secures the power cable to back plate had rattled loose and allowed one of the cables to break free of the contact.

So the lesson is that these lights can be prone to parts rattling loose but the fix is very easy. Keep in mind that I've had these lights for over three years and this is the first issue I've had with them. At around $10 per year, that's pretty amazing value for some pretty good lights.

• I need to buy a soldering iron. I won't use it a lot but would like to have one that I can use when needed over the next 5 years, at least. I understand that soldering irons are very simple things but are there any particular issues I need to consider when I look to buy one?

Any help appreciated.

PS - No idea how to make those points list as 1 & 2.....

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Buy a quality iron like Weller . I have a butane one and its very handy with no cables or anything.

You can get different size tips, got for something smaller if doing intricate soldering.
Also, buy a solder sucker/de soldering tool and good quality solder to suit your tip.

http://www.weller-toolsus.com/soldering/irons/butane/weller-wpa2-weller-pyropen-kit.html

I'd suggest the weller WPA2 is too chunky, hand fatigue is an issue, especially for a newbie

I like the portasol irons, I use one weekly. Like all butane fuelled irons, filtered gas is critical, cheap lighter gas will clog them quickly.

Also need a brass "curly" tip cleaner. Wet sponges trash the tips coating.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Tools-&-Soldering/Soldering/Irons---Gas/Technic-Gas-Soldering-Iron/p/TS1305

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Tools-&-Soldering/Soldering/Accessories/Soldering-Iron-Tip-Cleaner/p/TS1510

Soldering cleanly is a great skill if you can master it. 8 years worth of tutorials on youtube