Search results

1. B

Protective gear for DH?

How's it go? "well, that escalated quickly"... :-) Clearly there are more and less well defined reasons for choosing different protective gear. I tossed up for ages on the brace. I'm an engineer, the idea of spending a lot of money on something that doesn't have hard evidence of efficacy is...
  2. B

Protective gear for DH?

My take on the brace is that the pros outweigh the cons, and there's at least a little bit of evidence they can help mitigate some types of catastrophic injuries (neck) though perhaps at the expense of less disastrous ones (collarbone). @Mywifesirrational, I'd be keen to see anything related...
  3. B

Protective gear for DH?

Thanks for the comments. @Mattyp: good point re. instruction; open to recommendations in the Sydney area. @pink poodle: I forgot to mention he has gloves and goggles - the two things he wants to wear. I guess it's handy being able to see where you're going... He also has shin/knee and...
  4. B

Protective gear for DH?

My now 16 yo son's been riding for a couple of years, and was hospitalised - fortunately only briefly - 2 years ago with broken vertebrae from a stack he had when he was riding his hard tail school bike down Mt Keira (NSW)... He now has a decent bike, couple of helmets (Bell 2R and a proper...
  5. B

Chain drops w/ FSA 'Megatooth' chainring - options?

Six-ish months later, not a single chain drop on the SRAM crankset. Chalk and cheese compared to the FSA. I also note that Merida have ditched the FSA on the 2016 model in favour of the SRAM.
  6. B

12 x 157mm thru axles?

The thread pitch on my axle is 1.5mm, the "X-12" at CRC is 1.0mm. Turns out 1.5mm is the "E-Thru" standard, CRC are out of stock but lo and behold Cell Bikes have a Shimano axle that ought to work: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/dt-swiss-rws-e-thru-alloy/rp-prod123930...
  7. B

12 x 157mm thru axles?

Fantastic, thanks 'c'. I measured the frame spacing, and it's indeed spot on 142mm. I'll check the thread pitch just in case (should be 1.0mm I believe), but otherwise looks good! In hindsight, I guess it makes sense that axles are 'sized' according to the frame spacing, not the actual axle...
  8. B

12 x 157mm thru axles?

My son's Merida One-Forty is fitted with DT Swiss RWS 'thru' axles, the rear I believe is 12x157. The release handle has been broken off, and I'm trying to find where I can get a replacement part, or entire axle. The "I believe" part is that we don't have any useful specs from Merida, so we...
  9. B

2015 Merida One-Forty 7.900

(duplicate post)
  10. B

2015 Merida One-Forty 7.900

My son has this bike. He's had a bit of a love-hate relationship with it. Pros: + great price for the component specs + the blue/yellow actually looks pretty nice in person, I think (way better than the usual boring black) Cons: - the FSA chainring is rubbish (chain drops are guaranteed...
  11. B

SRAM Warranty

Well, for anyone else finding this: SRAM Australia seem to have accepted the US receipt as proof of purchase, no-questions-asked. They insisted we send the shock to them via a local dealer, who simply acted as a postal middleman and charged us $20 for the service. (Unfortunately they then...
  12. B

SRAM Warranty

G'Day SM, how'd you get on with this SRAM warranty claim? I'm in the same boat - bought a shock from the US, it's failed on the second outing, and I'm trying to talk to SRAM Australia about a warranty claim.
  13. B

To close this out - we bought a SRAM GX-1400 crankset (+ bottom bracket), and so far it's been great. No chain drops on the 100% SRAM drivetrain so far, which is a huge improvement over the FSA. (sorry about not providing photos - my son had disassembled the FSA crank to check dimensions/etc...
  14. B

Clutch derailleur: yes, it's a SRAM X01 11s. Seems to be working fine incl. clutch, has been given the all-clear by two LBSs. Chain: the chain was too long out of the shop, with the derailleur actually being just slack at the end of its travel; the #2 LBS pulled a link with a confident "that'll...
  15. B

My son's Merida One-Forty 7.900 has a 1x11 setup with an FSA Afterburner 386 crank and 'megatooth' chain ring. The bike's only ~3-4 months old, and he's had issues since day one with chain drops, worsening over time as the chain ring wears. Adding a chainguard has helped a little but not solved...
  16. B

Headset bearing lifetime - 3 months?

Thanks everyone; indeed I was a bit too quick to condemn the bearings. After opening them up and a good clean with degreaser and toothbrush, etc, they have come good (not quite perfect in the hand, but they feel fine when back on the bike). My son's packed them with grease; will check them...
  17. B

[dup post]
  18. B

My son extracted the headset bearings from his ~4-month old Merida One-Forty 7.900 (2015) - and the pic below was what he found. The bearings are highly corroded, and were full of dirt, and basically stuffed. He's not been in much mud or such, and we were very surprised to find them in such poor...