09 glory dh 1 how can a make her lighter?

jackall

Likes Bikes
i believe that the 721s are about 590g????? (correct me if im wrong)

is anyone riding raiders?? recon they are strong enough bear in mind im 5'8 and only weight about 50 kg

i dunno about hubs i've got
a ringle abbah on the back which im happy with (not sure how much lighter the hope is)

and a formular on the front

recon its worth 300 bucks to loose <200grams????

jackall

Likes Bikes
cheers mate yeah the standard axle is ridiculous 200grams fark!!!!

alloy is the go might give grip a buzz tonight :)

yupp single ply minions are looking good

maybe even foldable intense?

went well on my last bike (08 stinky) found they wash-out a bit but they were on a stinky :p

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
anything from superstar in the uk is gonna lighten it up at a very low cost. the mag pedals withall the ti, 280grams a pair and about $150 inc postage, there new hubs and rims soooo light yet strong. also the lose the i beam and seat, good and strong but heay, go CF road post cut it down and any old road saddle will be much lighter or the tioga spider bmx saddles, who sits down anyhow.

you would be amazed at the weight savings a full set of ti bolts wherever you can fit them will be at not much cost(if you go to a fasteners shop and not a bike shop)

el gallo chain guide or mozartt from poland. all cheap and very light.

jackall

Likes Bikes
yeah not keen on a CF post sure they are lighter but you have to run them longer because they are weak as which basicly cancels out the weight saving

Ti bolts might be a good idea ill have a shop around

chainguide meh if i have to ill drill the lg-1 want to get the 1+ anyway not really fussed if it dies

simplesimon76

Likes Dirt
a chunked king crown for a 09' boxxer with ti bolts is 205grams!
looks like you already got a straight line stem, good choice.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
also the lose the i beam and seat, good and strong but heay, go CF road post cut it down and any old road saddle will be much lighter or the tioga spider bmx saddles, who sits down anyhow. You'd save nothing or very little here. You could get an I-Beam carbon post, but bad G for $ really. Ti Spring will save you heaps.
el gallo chain guide or mozartt from poland. all cheap and very light.
Crankin do Mozartt Guides, and other light stuff, oh and Works components angle sets if you need to slacken the ol dog out.
Chunked stem/crowns are hella cool, and light as.
823s are my pick for light but wide enough and strong enough for rims. Although ghetto 721 might suit you if your still light.
ESI grips.
KMC hollow pin chain.
STRIP the paint off the frame.
Well done getting it to 18kg.Hope you didn't blow a fortune on it.
In most cases, I'd recommend only replacing broken stuff, and save your coin for a lighter frame.

caleb

Likes Bikes
Maybe get some of the new Boxxers, or the 888 evo ti's? that should drop the weight by a good few 100 grams for sure!
Kinda costs fair bit of money though D=

smen

Likes Bikes
I've been messing around with aluminium and carbon fibre axles on my 09 Glory DH1.

The standard steel axle is a bit of a pig. I'm running a 12mm aluminium tube with an inside diameter of 10mm (can get these from bunnings) and it hasn't snapped yet!

If I were you, I'd start on the back of the bike and work forward. You'll immediately notice anything to reduce the un-sprung weight in the rear. Cassettes and axles are often overlooked on light weight builds.

My ghetto weight weenie glory, last weight in it was a shade over 18kg (on the bathroom scales):

09 Giant Glory DH1 rawed (taking the paint off has gotta save a couple of grams ;-) )
2009 Boxxer World Cups
Marzocchi Roco Air shock
WTB Freeride rims on Saint hubs
Saint 8" rotors
Juicy 3 brakes
Thomson post (cut VERY short)
WTB saddle
X9 deraileur
custom 7 speed cassette (I saved over 150 grams with this)
Truvativ Hussefelt cranks
snafu pedals
kenda nevegal 2.35 dual ply tyres
DH tube in back
standard tube up front
answer pro taper bars
ergon grips
K9 arc angleset
lg1 chainguide
custom rear axle

Attachments

Xmetal

Give this man a job, we want pics!
I have the same model Glory and fitted a titanium rear spring today - the Ti spring is 290g lighter than the standard steel spring. :) Tis a Nuke proof shockwave 400lb x 3" item. :)

Jimmy_Bend

Likes Bikes
Hi,

I've got a 09 00 Glory and just got myself these a few weeks ago http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=149_153_233_57&products_id=3900 - they're the Sunline V-1 DH wheelset and highly recommend them. Only being able to go out on one ride so far with them but noticed a huge difference in my bike. It handled so much better and just seemed so nimble. If your looking for weight these are 1960g (for the wheelset), compared to Mavic's Deemax Ultimate Wheelset which are slightly heavier at 1975g (for the wheelset).