120mm+ Hardtails?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i just grabbed a wiggle brand x frame, 120, but i’ll run it at 130 as that is the fork i have, it’s 27.5 though, not 29 - still in transit, have enough bits lying around to build it up so i thought why not

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I am happy with a Chameleon but 140 mm fork is too much for steep uphill switcbacks .
Will reduce travel to 120 -130 mm as duallies are better for big travel rocky technical conditions.

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
I’ll vouch for the fuse, it’s lovely but currently out of stock. My mate is the Specialized dealer and can’t get one for himself! i also have a Taiwan made Chromag Stylus and it’s a awesome!

PJO

in me vL comy
What about a Norco torrent with a 120-130mm fork? The BB is pretty high on the frame when spec. with the 150mm fork so should be fine with a shorter fork. Also head angle will still be pretty slack even at a shorter travel.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I’m really liking the look of the Fuse and Honzo, but the price is pretty steep when you consider what else is about for less money. Suppose it depends on local support.
I’d like to learn to build bikes myself as I’ve never worked on my roadie and mountain bikes look waaaaay more forgiving!

Rorschach

What about a Norco torrent with a 120-130mm fork? The BB is pretty high on the frame when spec. with the 150mm fork so should be fine with a shorter fork. Also head angle will still be pretty slack even at a shorter travel.
Yeah, had a nosey at those too. It’s on the pile!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
You can always install volume reducers in a longer travel fork of you want it to effectively shorten the travel and get a bit more midstroke support but preserve the overall geo of the bike.

Rorschach

You can always install volume reducers in a longer travel fork of you want it to effectively shorten the travel and get a bit more midstroke support but preserve the overall geo of the bike.
Honestly not something I’m that up on, will do some research. Weren’t really a thing I was up on last time I was into mtbs, which was admittedly years ago..,

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Honestly not something I’m that up on, will do some research. Weren’t really a thing I was up on last time I was into mtbs, which was admittedly years ago..,
In simple terms, on most air-sprung forks - you can remove the top cap of the air side of the fork (Remove the air pressure first! Otherwise it'll want to turn itself into a projectile...), clip or screw on the appropriate spacer, and reinstall the top cap and pump the fork back up. The spacers reduce the internal volume of the fork, so as the fork compresses the air pressure ramps up faster. ie: Adding spacers makes the air pressure rise faster as the fork compresses, so it it harder to bottom the fork out.

Rorschach

In simple terms, on most air-sprung forks - you can remove the top cap of the air side of the fork (Remove the air pressure first! Otherwise it'll want to turn itself into a projectile...), clip or screw on the appropriate spacer, and reinstall the top cap and pump the fork back up. The spacers reduce the internal volume of the fork, so as the fork compresses the air pressure ramps up faster. ie: Adding spacers makes the air pressure rise faster as the fork compresses, so it it harder to bottom the fork out.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I’m really liking the look of the Fuse and Honzo, but the price is pretty steep when you consider what else is about for less money. Suppose it depends on local support.
I’d like to learn to build bikes myself as I’ve never worked on my roadie and mountain bikes look waaaaay more forgiving!
Remember Honzo is steel so it will ride much better than an aluminium frame. You pay a bit more for it but it really makes that much difference.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get on this, great paintjob

I've got a Banshee Paradox hardtail and really rate it, more fun than a hard tail has any right to be and still fast enough for XC stuff. Hard to get in Australia and the RRP is a joke, I was luck enough to get it off here.