12K Full carbon, Full Dura-Ace w/ Ksyrium SL from...... MalvernStar

Trizender

Likes Dirt
Just had a browse through the site. They look attractive and seem like pretty good value too. $2000 for a carbon frame with a 10speed groupset sounds good to me (I'm no roadie). The MTB range although small looks damn good value as well, $800 for 9speed groupset with Avid hydros.

I'm thinking of getting a roadie next year and hadn't even consider Malvern star but now I am.

tom_burford_orr

Likes Dirt
Love to here how they ride. It would make me a happy chappy to see Malvern Star back in the spot light after their latest bikes over the last few years.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Got them at work at the moment. I would test-ride them, but they are all 53cm, and I need a 63cm! Ill let you guys know how they ride when I get a bigger one in stock.

Incredibly good value. Puts everything else to shame really.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
is it exactly the same carbon frame as all the other lower brand, high spec'd carbon roadies out there??
eg, the cell's under 2k for full ultegra., and the MBC's own brand of bikes very similar to the cell bike in price.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
is it exactly the same carbon frame as all the other lower brand, high spec'd carbon roadies out there??
eg, the cell's under 2k for full ultegra., and the MBC's own brand of bikes very similar to the cell bike in price.
That would be a negative.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nothing special really, I guess value will be it's main selling point.

toby

Likes Dirt
Issue 41 of RIDE Cycling Review is out next week and we have a full review of the Oppy - Le Mauco - Dura-Ace.

Great value bike, hard to fault for the money....

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
whats the difference between this "lower end" carbon frame vs "higher end" besides brand name.

Is it heavier ? weaker ? ... combination of both ... lower grade ... etc etc. Therefore shorter life span, higher fatigue etc etc.

Looking forward to the review ^^^ as this would be exactly what I was looking for ... being an out of touch past roadie ... that wouldn't mind getting back in ... was scared of CELL ... and doesn't want to spend bazillions or be laughed at too much ... although, I'll have MTB shoes, Lid with peak and spds... which is cause for laughter enough I guess.

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
whats the difference between this "lower end" carbon frame vs "higher end" besides brand name.

Is it heavier ? weaker ? ... combination of both ... lower grade ... etc etc. Therefore shorter life span, higher fatigue etc etc.
absolutely everything you just mentioned. there is no doubt the bike is good value, but it is by no means in any way comparable to a quality carbon road bike. having said that, id would probably ride quite nicely as cheaper heavier carbon frames (emc2) have extra carbon (~150-200g of the stuff) which adds a damping quality to the bike. overall, i wouldnt buy one, $4k can be spent much more wisely....stretch it to $4.3k and you are laughing;)

:p

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
Carbon

I thought that most carbon frames originate from only a few factories in Taiwan, and the things that separate the frames in quality was the carbon fibre used in the mould.
I'll be very interested to see how these ride.

No need to laugh about guys with MTB shoes and helmets mixing with roadies. I used to live with a guy who came out on his MTB on bunch rides (running shorts, hairy legs, and sneakers) and would give us (A and B grade club riders) a serious run for our money. If memory serves me correctly, it was a certain Cadel Evans who used to string- out the 'hell ride' bunch in St Kilda back in the 90's on his MTB, no less.

toby

Likes Dirt
absolutely everything you just mentioned. there is no doubt the bike is good value, but it is by no means in any way comparable to a quality carbon road bike. having said that, id would probably ride quite nicely as cheaper heavier carbon frames (emc2) have extra carbon (~150-200g of the stuff) which adds a damping quality to the bike. overall, i wouldnt buy one, $4k can be spent much more wisely....stretch it to $4.3k and you are laughing;)

:p

This bike has full Dura-Ace.. and Premium SLs, FSA finishing kit... I mean its serious bloody value. What's your definition of quality.. I can't tell you but this the frame is actually excactly the same as a large italian manufacturer uses for their bike that costs a lot lot more (with a small change at the back).
Yeah sure its not going to set my world onfire...and compared to the other bikes being tested (Z4, SL2 etc) it didn't set my world on fire. But you wouldn't believe the number of people who were interested in it... I think it will do well. And there is a market for bikes like this..

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This bike has full Dura-Ace.. and Premium SLs, FSA finishing kit... I mean its serious bloody value. What's your definition of quality.. I can't tell you but this the frame is actually excactly the same as a large italian manufacturer uses for their bike that costs a lot lot more (with a small change at the back).
Yeah sure its not going to set my world onfire...and compared to the other bikes being tested (Z4, SL2 etc) it didn't set my world on fire. But you wouldn't believe the number of people who were interested in it... I think it will do well. And there is a market for bikes like this..
is the big italian manufacturer your talking about bianchi by any chance? everyone knows theyre chinese poo. :p