12V compressor for tubless?

jawry

Likes Dirt
G'day All,

Any advice or suggestions on an inexpensive compressor that is proven to be capable of popping the bead on tubeless.

My 'heavy duty' supercheap auto version does not have the flow rate required.

As I am converting all my bikes to tubless i'm after something a little better to avoid the trips to the servo and for ride day repairs etc.

A brand & model suggestion would be good - or as a minimum, what spec's in terms of litres per minute is required. I'd rather be slightly over gunned than under gunned.

Wont be required for nail guns and spray guns and must be compact and portable.

Thanks,

iain

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Ive got an ARB 12v air compressor and also an old Bushranger Black max iirc (free with a set of BFG tyres many years ago) and both would seat the beads on my old Anthem's wheels. I always struggled bigtime fitting tyres to that bike / wheelset (Giant PCXR-1C). I mean really really really struggled and felt surly not all wheels are like this these days!!!

Now i have a new bike and its beyond a joke how much easier it is to fit tyres on the wheels. (Stans Arch mk3)

Guess all im saying is if i could set the beads on that anthems wheels then i think it could work on anything!

Not sure these are what you'd call Inexpensive (well the bushranger stuff shouldnt be too bad) but they will get the job done.

Travis.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
A bushranger black max only costs $190 which is surprisingly not much more than the track pumps with integrated air tanks.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ideate

I haven't use the compressor in a while since I got an Airshot. I do occasionally have to remove the presta core get enough air flow in to pop the beads but the greatest part is I can do it the night before at 11:30pm in the house without the hum and hassle of the compressor.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With Giant making most of their Roadies tubeless straight out of the box (fuck road tubeless....), having to seat those tyres is a PIA. Compressor doesn't have the flow rate, but the Bontrager Flash Charger is what we use. Pump that chamber up to 80ish psi and it'll easily seat the tyre. Don't have to remove the valve core.

Snapcatcher

Likes Bikes
Have a look at the Thumper compressor from https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/products/air-compressors.html

I dont run tubeless so havent tried it for that, but do use it for pumping up tubes after changing flats, changing tyres ect. I've been in the 4WD scene for years and used many different compressors. The thumper is the best Ive owned and they are cheap. They dont look fancy, but are bigger in real life and have great air output. 4WD Supercentre change their prices daily so if ya watch for a few days/a week, you can get a better price or free postage ect

goobags

Likes Dirt
I have a TJM one that will seat my old giant P-TRX1 rims but can be a bit fiddly. New Easton rims can be done with a track pump with the right tyres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Tubeless needs a initial 'blast' of air, not a massive volume. Either get a tank style compressor where the compressor pressurises the tank or as said, an airshot or similar.

I hear you on the 11pm last minute stuff ! My compressor is bloody noisey... they told me.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Tubeless needs a initial 'blast' of air, not a massive volume. Either get a tank style compressor where the compressor pressurises the tank or as said, an airshot or similar.

I hear you on the 11pm last minute stuff ! My compressor is bloody noisey... they told me.
Yep and when you forget to hit the off switch and it cycles at 3am you become real popular in your street.

They told me:doh:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
With Giant making most of their Roadies tubeless straight out of the box (fuck road tubeless....), having to seat those tyres is a PIA. Compressor doesn't have the flow rate, but the Bontrager Flash Charger is what we use. Pump that chamber up to 80ish psi and it'll easily seat the tyre. Don't have to remove the valve core.
I've found they're generally properly seated out of the box, and you only strike problems if you unseat a bead to chuck the sealant in rather than injecting it through the valve stem.

We use the Giant Control Tank thing - similar concept to the Bontrager one, except if I recall correctly the Bonty has a built-in track pump, whlie the Giant tank needs a separate pump. Very effective on most tyres, but can struggle with bigger MTB tyres if the beads have kinked too much in packaging and don't sit well in the rim to start with.

While they can run out of air before seating a particularly reluctant tyre, the tank things are better than a small compressor at delivering the real sudden burst of air that you really need to get the tyre seated. And even if it runs out of grunt before the tyre is properly popped onto the beads, it gets enough of a seal that you can flick over to a track pump to finish off by hand.

Last edited:

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've found they're generally properly seated out of the box, and you only strike problems if you unseat a bead to chuck the sealant in rather than injecting it through the valve stem.

We use the Giant Control Tank thing - similar concept to the Bontrager one, except if I recall correctly the Bonty has a built-in track pump, whlie the Giant tank needs a separate pump. Very effective on most tyres, but can struggle with bigger MTB tyres if the beads have kinked too much in packaging and don't sit well in the rim to start with.

While they can run out of air before seating a particularly reluctant tyre, the tank things are better than a small compressor at delivering the real sudden burst of air that you really need to get the tyre seated. And even if it runs out of grunt before the tyre is properly popped onto the beads, it gets enough of a seal that you can flick over to a track pump to finish off by hand.
True, out of the box they are fine. I hardly do any building out of boxes anymore. Always near new bikes and repairs. I like the idea of the Giant one, just wish they integrated it into a pump like the Bontrager Flash Charger. It's hard to sell it to customers when it's just an air-tank, but I find it easier with the Bonty pump when it can replace their current floor pump as well.