1x10 without a chainguide

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
No need to get rid of the shifter. it will work fine with any shimano derailleur.
I am aware, but if you read my previous posts you'd have found out the following information:

XT shifter will mount to my brakes to clean up my bars a little - cannot do this with Zee.

And to add to that, the XT shifter can go up 4 gears at once and can go down multiples - the Zee shifter lacks this functionality.

Plus XT will match my brakes, crank, cassette and chain. :)

#OCD

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Ezkaton, you're on a Reign right? Don't they have a fair bit of chaingrowth? Reason I ask is that I'm on an Intense TracerVP which similarily has a lot of chaingrowth (VPP) and can't run a short cage as a result. Get yourself a SLX/XT GS and quit #trending. It mightn't look as cool but it'll work better. :heh:

chaos99

Likes Bikes
I have found the same.

I am running a zee on a 2009 GT Force and the chain with suspension fully compressed on the 34 is almost too tight and unloaded on the 11 is almost too loose.

So moral of the story is even though a fr short cage der has enough wrap for a 11-34 cassette it still depends on your particular frame.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Ezkaton, you're on a Reign right? Don't they have a fair bit of chaingrowth? Reason I ask is that I'm on an Intense TracerVP which similarily has a lot of chaingrowth (VPP) and can't run a short cage as a result. Get yourself a SLX/XT GS and quit #trending. It mightn't look as cool but it'll work better. :heh:
It's a Trance, but same suspension setup really... Just an inch less travel.

I actually think the XT looks nicer than the Zee!
It will be here next week, anyhow. :)

struggles

Likes Dirt
So from reading the last few pages, don't use a Zee on a Reign?

I have a Zee on my 29er HT and just ordered an SLX Shadow+ that I was going to put on that and fit the Zee to the Reign.

Might re think that now and put the SLX on the Reign.

markgab

Likes Dirt
Raceface 30t nw
Saint m820 shifter
Saint m820 RD
XT cassette 11-36
Took out 3 links from XT chain.

Shifting is just flawless/precise/smooth
The setup 1x10 > my m780 XT 3x10 XT groupo

The saint feels smooth and shifting is very responsive.
The XT shifting has a softer feel in terms or shifting but does not have the responsiveness.

*have yet to drop my chain :)
#noregretswith1x10

takai

Eats Squid
What are people using for bash protection with their 1x? Been thinking about a Blackspire Bruiser but not sure it will fit well with the granny tabs still on the cranks.
Any other options? (No ISCG tabs on frame, BB adapter fitted)

teK--

Eats Squid
What are people using for bash protection with their 1x? Been thinking about a Blackspire Bruiser but not sure it will fit well with the granny tabs still on the cranks.
Any other options? (No ISCG tabs on frame, BB adapter fitted)
I use a Hope ring bash guard. IMHO better to transfer shock energy to the crank and BB bearings rather than risk damaging the ISCG tabs. (Especially if u have a carbon frame)

It does limit ability to use a roller guide or top guide though but some brands are compatible.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
My XT mid-cage and i-spec shifter combo arrived today... gonna get my LBS to fit it while I'm at work because I'm lazy (and terrible at adjusting derailleurs).

Hopefully it fixes my issue(s)! Will report back after it's all fitted and set up. :)

darkhorsefkn

Likes Bikes
Raceface 30t nw
Saint m820 shifter
Saint m820 RD
XT cassette 11-36
Took out 3 links from XT chain.

Shifting is just flawless/precise/smooth
The setup 1x10 > my m780 XT 3x10 XT groupo

The saint feels smooth and shifting is very responsive.
The XT shifting has a softer feel in terms or shifting but does not have the responsiveness.

*have yet to drop my chain :)
#noregretswith1x10
Don't you find that your top gear isnt high enough with this config?

static_X3

Likes Dirt
Don't you find that your top gear isnt high enough with this config?
I run a 30t front aswell. Its on my AM fun bike not an XC racer, so there's no real need to go any faster than what this setup allows.
Im used to a 24 granny to bail me out at times so this is a big step :)

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
My XT mid-cage and i-spec shifter combo arrived today... gonna get my LBS to fit it while I'm at work because I'm lazy (and terrible at adjusting derailleurs).

Hopefully it fixes my issue(s)! Will report back after it's all fitted and set up. :)
On my ride home today I dropped down to the 11t and jumped off some gutters and various other things I could find, bunnyhopping small gaps, etc... zero chain slap and everything is perfect!
The XT gear shifts super well, I actually find it feels nicer than the Zee... though this could have something to do with the new chain that went on as well.

The XT shifter is more 'crisp' than the Zee, too.
Me likey! :D

Danny B

Likes Dirt
I run a 30t front aswell. Its on my AM fun bike not an XC racer, so there's no real need to go any faster than what this setup allows.
Im used to a 24 granny to bail me out at times so this is a big step :)
What he said. On flat and straight XC trails you'll top-out with a 30T but not on flowy singletrack. The XC racers i know run 34T on the front.

I have 30T and can climb any pinch I could previously with a 2x or 3x config. You really only lose top end which you'd use on fireroads and the like.

I have a 3x10 for my 29er which I take on multi-day rides. That is the only bike that I still run a FD on.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry if it's already buried in this thread somewhere but has anyone tried instead of dumping the 17 off a 11-36 to add a 42, perhaps drop the 15 and 17 and slot in a 16? Results?