1x10 without a chainguide

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
Sorry if it's already buried in this thread somewhere but has anyone tried instead of dumping the 17 off a 11-36 to add a 42, perhaps drop the 15 and 17 and slot in a 16? Results?
One-up now include a 16t free? With the 40's & 42's. I have one and find the shifting generally good across the whole range. Not quite as good as a std 11-36, but dam close.
And with the 16t i don't notice any big jumps

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One-up now include a 16t free? With the 40's & 42's. I have one and find the shifting generally good across the whole range. Not quite as good as a std 11-36, but dam close.
And with the 16t i don't notice any big jumps

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Good to know, cheers.
Going to give the one above a go though now.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Ok then. Just purchased.
Cheers.

(better be good) ;) haha.
I'm sure you'll be happy ;-)
11-13-15-18-21-24-27-32-36-40 Spacing and only 296grams.
If you ride in the big aluminum rings only I'm not sure how long they'll last, but if your chain ring is correctly sized they should last well. No different to any other aluminum cassettes, smaller sprockets getting the most wear due to their small size are steel for durability, middle titanium, all materials are balanced to wear at a similar rate based on how many teeth they have.

Last edited:

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
I did before switching to a wolf tooth for no other reason than colour coordination. Worked fine, no dropped chains, nothing. Mine is a 32t sram mount. I still have it if you want it?

Danny B

Likes Dirt
I did before switching to a wolf tooth for no other reason than colour coordination. Worked fine, no dropped chains, nothing. Mine is a 32t sram mount. I still have it if you want it?
Thats what I imagined. Nah, I've already got one myself but thanks for the offer. :)

- Danny

indica

Serial flasher
Lost a chain for the first time.
Mind you the dérailleur is fucked and a few rides ago I had to bend it back into shape and it was a several metres longs rock garden.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sure you'll be happy ;-)
11-13-15-18-21-24-27-32-36-40 Spacing and only 296grams.
If you ride in the big aluminum rings only I'm not sure how long they'll last, but if your chain ring is correctly sized they should last well. No different to any other aluminum cassettes, smaller sprockets getting the most wear due to their small size are steel for durability, middle titanium, all materials are balanced to wear at a similar rate based on how many teeth they have.
Cheers. Only been running 1x10 for several rides now but have only needed 32 and 36 on a couple of short steep climbs after the legs give out, spend majority of the time on the bottom 3rd of the cassette. The 40 will be good just as an option for if I'm really struggling.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
How long until Shimano offer an 11-38 or 11-40 cassette do you think? They aren't on the 1x11 train just yet, maybe there's a chance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matty_moo85

Likes Bikes
sram type 2

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has had any experiance with there type 2 rear derailleur getting stuck and losing chain tension at all. If I am in the biggest or second biggest gear and the rear suspension compresses the derailer mores forward and gets stuck this leads to dropping the chain. Im thinking it must be some kind of clutch issue. The derailleur is quite new and this was not the case when first installed.
I added a couple of photos for reference
Any help would be great

Attachments

mitchy_

Llama calmer
theres no dirt or anything causing the cage to jam? or even the cage lock button to slightly protrude and catch the cage?

Matty_moo85

Likes Bikes
theres no dirt or anything causing the cage to jam? or even the cage lock button to slightly protrude and catch the cage?
Not that I can see but might hit of a power spray and a little lube.
Haha nah the cage lock basically does nothing because when you push it past where the cage lock button is it doesn't spring back anyway

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Not that I can see but might hit of a power spray and a little lube.
Haha nah the cage lock basically does nothing because when you push it past where the cage lock button is it doesn't spring back anyway
yep, but there may be dirt holding the lock out slightly?
lube 'er up and see how she goes.

Yeah, 10x. Why wouldn't they? Untapped market pretty much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shimano have only just introduced 11-40 in 11 speed due to cadence/low ratio changes. no chance will they offer it in 10 speed.