1x10 without a chainguide

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got my Trek Remedy setup 1x10 with a XTR clutch derailleur, XT cranks and a Straightline silent guide. Was thinking of losing the guide and just running it without.

Did a abit of digging through MTBR forums and stumbled across this. Chainrings for normal cranks in the XX1 style.
http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/products/104-bcd-chainrings

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with running Shimano without a guide or with these rings?

Cheers

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
Im also interested to hear about these chain rings. considering going 1x10 with this or a mrp bling ring

So from my understanding these rings are like the xx1 ring but for 10 speed chains?

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
Raceface is bringing out a chain ring in similar style to the XX1 ring too - NW (stands for narrow wide)

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So from my understanding these rings are like the xx1 ring but for 10 speed chains?
XX1 works for 10spd as well, but these chainrings are designed so you can use them on almost any crank. Since XX1 chainrings have a unique 76BCD you can't use their chainring on any other crankset.

Rotor need to make a Q-ring one for me :frusty:

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
i'm running 1x10 without a guide with a shadow+ der and a regular blackspire ring. will definately be upgrading to one of the alternating tooth rings once funds allow but for now it's been great, dropped maybe 2 chains in 4 months. (and even then, only when i crashed. never while riding)

important note: make sure that the gear ratios you use most end up in the middle of the casette to keep your chainline good. i run a 34t ring with an 11-36 cassette and i'm in 5-6-7-8 most of the time offroad which is almost a dead straight chainline. if you go too small on the chainring you'll run into problems from a combination of insufficient chain tension and the chain trying to shift itself into your leg.

important note 2: strengthen your right thumb and run the clutch as tight as you can while still being able to shift from 2-1. makes a huge difference if the chainline is spot on

important note 3: be really careful with the clutch cover if you have an xt der. it is a metal screw going into plastic and therefore extremely easy to strip the threads

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a wolf spiderless on the way to run XX1, posted the same day as ordered and quick reply to emails too.

If the wolf rings work well for 11speed it will make XX1 a lot more affordable as they make rings to suit most cranks.

From what I can see the XX1 crank is rebadged X0 with a different spider.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Crankin will have these Works Components alternating teeth chain rings very shortly. 32, 34 and 36 tooth in many different colours.
969558_542580865788147_1009640500_n.jpg

chonox

Likes Dirt
That works components chain ring looks mint - any idea on pricing and as mentioned ETA? If pricing is right I'd be happy to put a pre-order through :biggrin1:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Just ordered a wolftooth 32 ring. I sent them an email with a few questions and they replied promptly.
Shipping is free to Australia, 2 - 4 weeks for delivery.

Once up and running I will let you know how it performs. Much, much cheaper option than using a XX1 crankset. Plus you can use your existing crank.

Reading through the mtbr forum, it seems to get good reviews

adaib

Likes Dirt
Bodged up someones bike a couple of months ago with XX1 crank (and ring) with 10spd XO everything else. No guide.

Reports within the first month were that its works well in most cases, however misses the easier gears.

When the SRAM rep dropped by during the normal bike shop rounds, I quizzed him about it. He said all warranties on his drive line are voided for that person and he said that in all other bodge cases, the driveline will wear out faster than usual. :shocked: uh oh...

As expected, within the next month, old mate came back with a broken chain and complaints of dropping the chain on the front ring.

Do as you like folks, I know how much people like to fork out on chainrings! How bad is a chain guide for 1x10 (not xx1 bodge) anyway???.....

novomongoose

Likes Bikes
I've got my Trek Remedy setup 1x10 with a XTR clutch derailleur, XT cranks and a Straightline silent guide. Was thinking of losing the guide and just running it without.

Did a abit of digging through MTBR forums and stumbled across this. Chainrings for normal cranks in the XX1 style.
http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/products/104-bcd-chainrings

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with running Shimano without a guide or with these rings?

Cheers
I am running 1 x 10 with no chain guide and no dramas?!?

XT 10 speed cluster, Zee rear derailleur, SLX Crankset with a 32 chainring (9 speed)

Rob(ert)

peterr

Cannon Fodder
remedy 9 1x10

My single pivot remedy doesn't suffer much chain growth, but no luck keeping the chain on with a Zee derailler (clutch cranked up and chain tight), 11-36xt cassette and a 32 renthal ring up front. Chain always falls off riding hard on big rock gardens :(
So I got a Blackspire einfachx top guide to help ?...trying it out now...chain needs to sit right in the middle of the guide to stop it falling off - so I bent the guide towards the frame (to centre guide over the chain) instead of adding bottom bracket spacers to move the chainset out and increase (worsen) the chainline.

may have to get a wolftooth or workscomponents ring aswell.

FYI: Specialized enduro s works 2013 runs XX1 11 speed groupo and a top chain guide....enough said.

colesy01

Likes Bikes
Question for those of you running 1x10, what is the main benefit? How much weight is saved by dropping two chainrings and a front derailleur?

I am thinking of converting the 29er race bike for the weight saving.