1x10 without a chainguide

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
Just picked up a new X9 type 2 mech from my LBS, Now just trying to sell my old one to get a 36t wolf tooth ring and x9 shifter.

gummo8

Squid
Hey wondering for those who bought a wolftooth, what kind of time it took to arrive?

Ordered one on 30th May and hasn't arrived yet.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Hey wondering for those who bought a wolftooth, what kind of time it took to arrive?

Ordered one on 30th May and hasn't arrived yet.
Ordered mine on the 24th and it's not here yet.
Hey, I ordered mine on Wednesday 22nd May (prob Tuesday 21st May, U.S. time) and received it on Friday 31st May, 9-10 day turn around.
Mike from Wolftooth told me it is usually a 2 - 4 week turn around......mine must have come via carrier pigeon

Last edited:

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine took from the start of the thread till page 8 to get here. (can't be assed to check the dates)

Works well, havn't had a chain drop on my first ride around kalamunda yesterday. Are people running it with their original chainring bolts or using single ring bolts?

Mattl

Likes Dirt
I've been running a 9 speed setup with a front chain guide for a few years now & have been keen to upgrade to a clutched derailleur setup so I have just tried the mod discussed by a few other people earlier in this thread. I have replaced my 9 speed SRAM XO short cage derailleur with a 10 speed Shimano Zee clutched derailleur & the shifting is perfect with no mods to the derailleur using a 9 speed XO grip shift. I'm waiting for an Absolute Black XX1 style chain ring to arrive but even with a standard 32t XTR chainring I have removed the chainguide & have found it impossible to drop the chain so far. It's well worth it just for the lack of chain slap these derailleurs give. The Zee derailleur is obviously a bit heavier than the XO but I'm very impressed with how low profile it's design is & if you ride technical rocky trails it would be far less likely to knock anything.

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
Has anyone tried the race face narrow wide yet?

http://www.raceface.com/components/rings/rings/single-ring-narrow-wide/

Would really like to give one a go, recently went to Zee derailleur and the whole lack of chain slap thing has me amazed! I am running a chainguide without the lower roller (kinda doesn't fit my frame right). I have only once lost the chain off my chainring and after looking, realised I had the clutch disengaged. Since flipping the lever, I've not lost the chain at all.

Being fat and unfit, I'm running a 32 tooth on the front to 11-36 cassette, the clearance means I've not yet even grazed my chainring on anything, so no bashguard equals no worries either!

Love the simplicity/neatness of the cockpit with only one shifter and seatpost lever on the handlebars too.

mitchy_

Llama calmer

Would really like to give one a go, recently went to Zee derailleur and the whole lack of chain slap thing has me amazed! I am running a chainguide without the lower roller (kinda doesn't fit my frame right). I have only once lost the chain off my chainring and after looking, realised I had the clutch disengaged. Since flipping the lever, I've not lost the chain at all.

Being fat and unfit, I'm running a 32 tooth on the front to 11-36 cassette, the clearance means I've not yet even grazed my chainring on anything, so no bashguard equals no worries either!

Love the simplicity/neatness of the cockpit with only one shifter and seatpost lever on the handlebars too.
wiggle have them for ~$55. a mate has bought one for his santa cruz solo build, but it's still a while off completion.

dasher.11

Likes Bikes

I ordered one on friday, hopefully shouldn't be too far away but uni exams are probably going to get in the way - will post my thoughts as soon as I'm out the other side.

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
I ordered one on friday, hopefully shouldn't be too far away but uni exams are probably going to get in the way - will post my thoughts as soon as I'm out the other side.
Sweet, once I get a bit of fitness back, I'm going to get a 34 tooth and give it a burl. Good luck in the exams, any more than a pass is merely overachieving, I say getting the bike sorted will bring more satisfaction and joy.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Which way to go

So reading through this post and another post - which way is the best way to go?

Run a Race Face N/W or a Wolftooth ring with a chain guide and normal rear mech? Is there much difference between these 2 rings?

or instead of installing the chain guide - replace the rear mech with a clutch type instead? I was thinking either the a SLX Shadow Plus or the Zee.