2004 Big Hit

Sic

Likes Dirt
Theres pics and an article about the 2004 big hit sporting the Marzocchi Triple 8 at nsmb.com, looks pretty crazy.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That rig is hot... Hope it comes standard with the masking tape gusseting (hahaha).
The rear triangle looks so smooth.... It looks as though it would be so good to dig in and hit the burms.
Any ideas on release date here???

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fat_Ride said:
That rig is hot... Hope it comes standard with the masking tape gusseting (hahaha).
The rear triangle looks so smooth.... It looks as though it would be so good to dig in and hit the burms.
Any ideas on release date here???
rear triangle looks smooth? i'd say complicated would best describe it... :wink:

CHEWY

Eats Squid
u cant tell that for sure, i dont think it looks anything like it, except for a hole heap of mubly jumbly shit everywhere

Ty

Eats Squid
it don't have to look like a VPP to have a virtual piviot point, have a look at the orignal outland VPP, it don't look anything like what we have today, lots of manufactures are looking into vpp style suspension systems, the giant VT1 was going to be a VPP till they ran into patent problems, the iron horse DW-link exists around the patent. all the karpiel frame are a vpp of sorts. so i don't see why speclized isn't going to step up and use there FSR with a VPP system to make a really nice (maybe complex) suspension system.

Ryan

Radministrator
Actually, there's 6 pivots in a Santa Cruz VPP design Socket
Two on each link (one at the frame, one at the swingarm) = 4
Two on the shock (one at the frame, one on the swingarm) = 2
4 + 2 = 6
mmmmmm maths
*cough*everyone else is doing it*cough*

Ty

Eats Squid
socket, not if they throw a FSR type linkage in there somewhere, hence the use of the term "vpp style" not "vpp"

S.

ex offender
Ryan said:
Actually, there's 6 pivots in a Santa Cruz VPP design Socket
Two on each link (one at the frame, one at the swingarm) = 4
Two on the shock (one at the frame, one on the swingarm) = 2
4 + 2 = 6
mmmmmm maths
*cough*everyone else is doing it*cough*
If you count it that way, that makes 6 in current FSR bikes then too. Let's count em:
- chainstay/BB area pivot
- chainstay/seatstay pivot
- seatstay/shock link pivot
- shock link/front triangle pivot
- shock link/shock pivot
- shock/front triangle pivot

1+1+1+1+1+1=6

However "pivots" for the shock generally aren't counted... for example, is a 222 a singlepivot or a triple pivot? :wink:

S.

ex offender
Ty said:
it don't have to look like a VPP to have a virtual piviot point, have a look at the orignal outland VPP, it don't look anything like what we have today, lots of manufactures are looking into vpp style suspension systems, the giant VT1 was going to be a VPP till they ran into patent problems, the iron horse DW-link exists around the patent. all the karpiel frame are a vpp of sorts. so i don't see why speclized isn't going to step up and use there FSR with a VPP system to make a really nice (maybe complex) suspension system.
I wasn't debating whether it's a VPP, I was saying that the VPP (in the case of the current crop of bikes) only have 4 pivots (see above post as to why I say 4 not 6).

Ty

Eats Squid
i never stated how may piviots the current vpp design had, i just said that it could be a 6 piviot VPP design. what would happen if you threw a hoist link in a VPP? then a second linkage to drive the shock? damn you could have 8 piviots.

S.

ex offender
Ty said:
i never stated how may piviots the current vpp design had, i just said that it could be a 6 piviot VPP design. what would happen if you threw a hoist link in a VPP? then a second linkage to drive the shock? damn you could have 8 piviots.
Ya can't have 5 pivots to the axle, you get an undefined path and lots of broken parts. You could have a double 4-bar like the old Cannondale Fulcrum tho, but that was proven to be a bit retarted.
A second linkage to drive the shock is possible but adds weight, complexity, etc etc.