2004 Kona Stinky's

fastrider gus

super huck
you could use anything for DH.. depends how good you are.. all the other stinky's rule for DH... i think anyway.. coming from a HT they do

DOM

Eats Squid
Exactly the same as the 03 stinky frame.

I raced DH on an 03 Stinky and it went fine. .. with those forks it should go hard.

they arnt the most pedally bike though .. rear bounces a bit.

Konaman

Likes Dirt
i heard all the other stinkies are really slow dh bikes and are only gud for fr. Tho when ur paying the stinky price id say there gud dh bike for the money.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
hehehe yeh gus u're the king. *bows down t0 the king gus the king of hardtail hardc0reness*

i recokn the stinky would take downhill punishment, i reckon if u don't take downhill seriously and freeride than it woul dbe a mad bike

G

im just gonna say one thing

IM SICK OF SEEING THAT PICTURE SOCKET! SO DONT POST IT!

Rik

logged out
Just remember, a few years ago, a Stinky would've been considered ultramadcore DH-level. Just because there's 8-9" on the market doesn't mean you can't DH on less than that. Just ride within the bikes limits, it'll make you a better rider

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Too heavy and slow for me, but if you're a big unit, it'll hold upto your abuse. Can't complain at that setup for just under $3000!

toodles

Wheel size expert
How much they gonna cost? That looks like a mad fun playbike. I'd race on it no worries - Big bikes can be overkill for some courses. Anyone who complains that it doesn't have enough travel for racing is a sad case who's obviously never had to graduate to duallies from hardtails/rigids. Anyway, what the price on these things?

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
just under $3000 id imagine....

i really want to try and ride one !! see how it is....

DOM

Eats Squid
I argue that.

toodles said:
How much they gonna cost? That looks like a mad fun playbike. I'd race on it no worries - Big bikes can be overkill for some courses. Anyone who complains that it doesn't have enough travel for racing is a sad case who's obviously never had to graduate to duallies from hardtails/rigids. Anyway, what the price on these things?
Ive Actually DHed a Full ridgid many a time .. on Blackstone .. Deano's and Bardon Stairs ..

Ive also Raced a Hardtail ..

Ive also raced a Kona Stinky .. and yes they are an awesome bike .. but they are just a step ... once you race on a Stinky .. and step onto a DH bike .. youll want to throw the Stinky away.

I loved mine .. and if i had the money i would of kept it for a play bike .. but The Avanti is all over it for DH ..

but for $3000 or whatever they will be yes they are a nice bike .. but for 500 bucks more you could look to full on DH.

I thought of it as progression .. But i had heaps of fun on the Stinky.
But I ditched it .. got a DH bike and a Ghetto Hardtail.

But yeah .. you can tell it's only got 6" ... and it's only got a Vanilla Standard .. trust me you can complain about lack of travel.

As a Huck bike thats fine .. but for racing youll notice cause it's a very basic shock .. it doesnt pedal well .. so you gotta get a stiffer spring .. which will then stiffen her up for racing .. or you can keep the light spring .. which is good for taking the small hits .. but sucks for Hucking or Sprinting.

If your a new Skool rider who does the Odd trail .. or likes to throw yaself off some drops .. Id go for it.

fark it .. get a Stinky and a DH bike haha.

toodles

Wheel size expert
I've got a 8" Crafty for a race bike and while I've got the Norco125 for a play bike, I'd prefer something squishy for a bit a playbike. The 125 is good, but I guess I prefer duallies now. And that stinky looks very nice. Good travel, Nice components (except Hussafuct cranks - don't like them anymore). Not bad.