DH 2006 Giant DH COMP

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Step one; break front spoke.
Step two; take thing apart.
Step three; ask wife really nicely if she can drop the wheel at a bike shop to be re spiked so I can go riding this weekend. :)

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
So latest news is:

- Spoke has been replaced
- While the wheel was off I cleaned and greases
- Aligned the front caliper
- Finally sorted out the brake drag on the back
- Eased the pre tension on the spring and lowered the SPV pressure as I was only getting around 20% sag and I need around 30%

All ready for this Saturday of riding. :)

Newts

Likes Dirt
my first and only DH bike is the 06 DH Comp. It handles anything that my useless riding style allows.
As much as I would love a lighter bike, I dont get out as much and it will just have to do.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Hey, I love this frame.

I was having a chat with my mate the other day about this stuff actually and we got talking about brakes.

I've got the Hayes sevens on this and he was saying they are crap and I need to upgrade.

But really, I think I have a LONG way to go in terms of upgrading the "talent" before I end up finding anything on the bike holding me back. :)

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Great day at Lysterfield today. I was supposed to head down with a mate, but he grew a vagina and didn't come out.

Really nice day for it, though I put my seat back a bit far so my rear wheel kept catching on it. Caused me to go off 3 times on follow me and only be 138th placed for that segment on Strava.

Next weekend should see an improvement. :)

Last edited:

allstar

Likes Dirt
I had a DH comp back in 2006... heres what it looked like back then

look familiar :p

I got that bike brand new, I raced it at every event going for 2yrs & Hucked it for 3 until I got a pretty bad injury and sold it... needed to regularly check the rear linkage bolt tensions but other than that it was a bullet proof bike!! and the wheels really are strong as f*ck

I did brake one linkage hacking this though :p (you can actually hear it snap when i land)
http://s55.photobucket.com/user/robbo8364/media/Riding Vids/leapoffaith-bulletMOV.flv.html

Loved that bike! would get another in a heartbeart!

Last edited:

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
I have my 03 under mums house, along with tge boxxers to suit.. really getting inspired to tidy it up, buy parts and ride the thing again.. 2013 may be the year for it

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Went out riding at Lysty today again and tried Aneurysm for a change. I enjoyed it because the jumps are more technical than Follow Me, but there is a shit tonne more pedalling which killed me.

Here are some pics and video is coming of my crappy camera work and riding. :p

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFXA813uLEo

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
So, heading out to the You Yangs with a mate tomorrow.

I decided it the other night that it would be a good idea to fix up me pedals a bit.

Before shot:

After shot:

Bit of an improvement. Plus I sharpened the knobby bits a bit as they were well rounded. :)

effarr

Likes Dirt
Step one; break front spoke.
Step two; take thing apart.
Step three; ask wife really nicely if she can drop the wheel at a bike shop to be re spiked so I can go riding this weekend. :)

Bit off track, but where did you get your work bench? :)

Nice bike by the way! I'm still riding my Faith from '06.

Cheers

Leon

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Haha. Got the work bench a couple years ago odd fleabay. Was 700 odd but really great quality. Solid wood top, everything else stainless or powder steel.

Then I just kitted it out with the bench tools.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Sooo, found these at my front door today. :)

I am expecting the service kits for the uppers and lowers to arrive this week. Hoping to still get a few years out of the forks.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt

So the start to my fork service efforts was not a great one.

There are six bolts that clamp the crowns onto the Stanchion. Five of those were don't up to the correct torque, one was done to the point I wasn't able to undo it and ended up stripping the inside of the bolt head.

2 hours later I managed to get it out.

So this Sat I will need to pop down to the bike shop, and get 6 new bolts.

Then the service continues.