2007 Scott 24hr

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Some photos taken from the helicopter on Sunday morning (well, most of them are from the helo anyhow) are here
Fantastic shots Le Matelot:cool:

Did you go up in the Heli or are they from Sam???

I thought it was going to land on my tent at one stage :eek: looked outside and it was right next to our campsite, just off the ground. Great perspective of the course and venue. That is the first time I've seen the MTNX course and the DH bridge.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
.......just got back? Were you there all night packing up or did you go back in the morning?

Top stuff either way, it was a great 24 hours.
Some of us pretty much live out there for about 5 days :D We're still getting various bits of kit back to their rightful homes.

Le Matelot

Fantastic shots Le Matelot:cool:

Did you go up in the Heli or are they from Sam???

I thought it was going to land on my tent at one stage :eek: looked outside and it was right next to our campsite, just off the ground. Great perspective of the course and venue. That is the first time I've seen the MTNX course and the DH bridge.
Steve Hanley (CORC Vice President) took them with my camera. Sam Davies and Evan Jeffery were also up in the bird doing their own stuff.

Mick01

Likes Bikes
My 2cents worth on the event...

Good things:
  • the track. It was awesome. More variety than any previous 24hr race I have ridden
  • I've never ridden DH before but the red lap has me wanting to try it
  • the view from the top of Mt Stromlo
  • the view at night of the riders and their lights winding their way around the trail
  • the volunteers -- cheerful and friendly
  • the abundance of space to camp - the whole team was able to camp beside their car
  • the program guide - was well put together and a pretty good read
Criticisms:
  • program guide arrived after the event was over
  • 'Race leader' wankers
  • Lack of trees
  • The screens in transition were too small/too far away to read
  • no bins out on course for Gu wrappers etc
  • collection of MTBA licence fees at rego was dodgey- no proof you paid, was relying purely on honesty
  • the PA system firing up at 4am - couldn't hear what they were saying but it woke me up

Thank you to CORC, volunteers and sponsors. Had a great weekend and will definitely be back again next year

Mick

Le Matelot

the PA system firing up at 4am - couldn't hear what they were saying but it woke me up
Are you sure? The equipment was on, but the microphones we "locked away" and we didn't let one near the commentator until 0600 and that was for a race update, then the music started at 0700.

The PA is only used between 2300 and 0600 for emergency announcements and I don't recall any in that period this year (I was awake in the timing tent from 0100 Sunday).

Of course, if someone else had another wireless mic out there and had somehow jagged one of 1400 channels, then I guess its theoretically possible ;)

I suspect what you're referring to was the sound from the TV on the big screen, which flashed up around 0430 to televise the Rugby World Cup match.

program guide arrived after the event was over
Do you mean "after the event was over" or "after I got back from the event and checked the mailbox"? When did you leave to come down for the race? They arrived at addresses in Canberra on the Wednesday before the event. Yep - I agree it should have been earlier and we'll work on that.

Last edited:

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Do you mean "after the event was over" or "after I got back from the event and checked the mailbox"? When did you leave to come down for the race? They arrived at addresses in Canberra on the Wednesday before the event. Yep - I agree it should have been earlier and we'll work on that.
Yep, our entire shipment of booklets for 2 teams arrived in Thredbo yesterday, the day after we got home. The PO was checked on Friday and they weren't there.

It wasn't a problem for us, but it was a huge waste of money for CORC.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
[*]'Race leader' wankers
[*]no bins out on course for Gu wrappers etc
There was a 'bin' at the top of the red lap near the burnt out telescope but I too was a little surprised there wasn't more, like at the end of the long fire road section of the blue lap etc... Corc have had big yellow tub things out at their other races :/

the really unfortunate thing about the race leader guys was the one that passed me yelling race leader I think actually probably was given his jersey, bike, and number plate, but wasn't one of the guys I normally recognise from that team who are normally quite considerate.

Cheers
Gonz

Mick01

Likes Bikes
I suspect what you're referring to was the sound from the TV on the big screen, which flashed up around 0430 to televise the Rugby World Cup match.
That must have been it... I was camped a few hundred metres behind the screen :(

Do you mean "after the event was over" or "after I got back from the event and checked the mailbox"? When did you leave to come down for the race?
I left Friday morning but did check the mailbox before leaving.

They arrived at addresses in Canberra on the Wednesday before the event. Yep - I agree it should have been earlier and we'll work on that.
Yeah, I think a minimum of 1 week before the event would be good. And it wouldn't have mattered if the guide was crap... it was the fact the guide was quite good that had me thinking, wish this had arrived sooner.

Mick

Gnarly one

Likes Bikes
Event program guides

Russ - My event booklets were in my mail box in Newcastle once I arrived home too. They were not there when I left for work Friday morning (I drove to Canberra Friday evening after work...)

Other than that though, I thought the organisation was done very well, and much appreciated!

morgs

morgs
Goo bins on track...hmmm, I knew there was something missing, sorry about that, it was all a bit of a blur in the end. Well, all the way through actually, bins are now on the checklist.
Having said that, I only picked up eight inner tubes and two small garbage bags of rubbish from the course yesterday, that's pretty damn good, thanks to 99% of you all.

I think Bill got his dates mixed up, he was doing the Red lap yesterday when he passed me at Triple Treat....

tired morgs

morto1980

Likes Dirt
Morgs - seems like the only thing people were really upset about with the track were the lack of Gu bins, IMHO that means you guys set a ripper course!

To be honest, I've never really been a fan of Stromlo before (GASP!) but that track was really really fun. The new traverse was ace and going down bits of the DH course on the red was genius! A lot of people I talked to didn't like the blue lap much but I think it was my fave. That's the best thing about 2 distinct laps - horses for courses! :-D

I remember talk about a different descent wanting to be used for the Red but it was too soft/powdery - it would have to have been good to be better than what we ended up with. Will it be opened eventually?

I've just discovered the biggest downer for me on the weekend - I managed to misplace (lose?) my wedding ring! . I can't remember if I had it on when I got home because I was in a zombie-like state - I'm hoping I've just put it somewhere strange when I was out of it. There is a photo of me coming in from my last lap with it on, but that's as much memory as I have. Sh*thouse :(

RichJS

Likes Dirt
the microphones we "locked away" and we didn't let one near the commentator until 0600
Is it true that Stu is capable of talking underwater? :p

Whoever is running that big screen needs to spend $100 on a Digital STB. Not that I was interested in the Rugby, but it looked terrible.

Suggestion for the transition area "next time": A large red and blue inflatable thing in the respective waiting areas to remind brain-dead riders where they're sposed to be.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Re the red blue inflatable things...

I went to the wrong lane at the start because they said something about red and blue flags????

In the Red Lap start there were Blue Kona flags on a tent, in the Blue Start area there were some other redflags!!!! I got thoroughly bamboozled when I couldn't find our riders, then I noticed the sign that said BLUE start lap ;) :eek: :p :rolleyes:

We didn't get our laps confused, but the kids easily could have if they didn't know what lap the previous rider went out on... I was at every transition, so I knew where the expect the rider to come in. The kids had it figured out about 14 hours into the race... It helped them learn to pay attention to what was going on ;) that's always a good thing :D

bbp

Squid
Thanks Russ, thanks CORC, thanks everyone. My first mtb race and I loved it. Managed to squeeze in eight laps and had an absolute ball. Even if I do feel like I've been raped by a Fizik Aliante.
That red descent was awesome. The night laps were heaven, I even managed to do my fastest blue lap at night. The vibe and attitude of people on (and off) the track was great. I get the feeling I'll be buying less 23c tyres in the future.
One complaint- can you turn that bloody headwind down a notch next year? ;)
Even though I didn't really get caught short 'cause I snuck in to the ladies once when I really needed to, an extra mens loo block certainly wouldn't hurt.
Oh yeah and if anyone with a number resembling 4348 is missing a lap around 4am, that's where it went. The number was attached to a bike, but as far as I can figure out it didn't do a lap, and looks too clean to have done one, even mistakenly.
One more thing. Let's see some photos boys and girls!