2009/2010 Vic State Series info!!!

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha sounds like Jazza better move up to Elite :rolleyes:.

another track to think about for running a race at in the next few years could be Red hill/eatons cutting, some of the guys down there are pretty keen to get some racing happening. Track would need a bit of maintanence but there are some great tracks with a bit of everything.
Eaton's Cutting is technically not a sanctioned track, and while the guys are allowed to ride it, I could would think it likely that the land owners would not permiss a big race like what happens in the Vic DH series. (Just my opinion, not 100% on what the land owners think)

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I have held back on this forum as I believe there are better and far more productive places in which any ideas I might have could be aired. However, if only to generate some debate, here goes:

1) Drop 17s and Expert Qualifying.

Victoria is unique in having this arrangement and I believe there are a number of reasons why it should not continue:

> Having these riders in the finals pushes out the finish time of races. This is annoying for riders and spectators alike for obvious reasons (eg: no spectators hanging around for finals or presentation, racing in twilight, getting home late from the race event).

> Including these categories in finals dilutes the importance, prestige even, accorded to qualifiers runs. This is a serious point. People want to hang around and watch the top riders come down the hill at the end of the day. Also, and in addition, the move from 'Elite' to 'Expert' has to be incentivised. Like it or not, at state races 'Expert' is a 'fun' category - these riders have elected not to push things in the top category and therefore they should race with the rest of the field like everyone else. When such riders do wish to take their racing more seriously, the option is open to them to move up a category. Simple.

> Finally, and a point I will get back to, Downhilling needs to keep its professional image. Keeping the top riders separate at the end of the day makes the pinnacle of the sport something special, something to watch, and something for younger riders to aim for.

2) Do not have novelty prizes at racing events.

> A few people have suggested prizes for "best costume", "biggest crash" and the like. These kinds of events make downhilling into a joke sport and cheapen the whole scene. Keep it professional.

3) Communal track walk

>Some have suggested that more skills days are needed to help Victorian riders get better results nationally and internationally. No doubt this is true. These events require as much, if not more organisation than racing days. I think a happy medium may be found in having a communal walk through led by one or a number of elite riders at the end of saturday practice to show younger and less experienced riders a few lines and give tips on how to hit sections. I know this may be difficult on longer tracks, however, even if this option is reserved for shorter tracks I believe it has much utility in imparting some racing knowledge on the upcoming generation of racers with little organisational hassel.
I have to agree with everything in this post. Thanks for chipping in Link.

Has anyone though of certain a-lines being closed for certain categories. I mean people doing LG road gap in sport, seriously!!!
This would help move up some of the sand baggers, it would help reduce the injury count and make riders progress more steadly, not just balls up and injure them selfs.
Say Novice compulsory take all b-lines, sport take most of the b-lines with certain harder a-lines closed, expert and elite all lines are open if the riders wish to take them.
I am in two minds of this, firstly, I can understand your point. But, lets use me as a case in point. There are a number of A-Lines on the vic tracks that I can't do, but I don't think that closing them off will help me get better. I need to HTFU and do them. It's called progression. And saying that some of these jouniors should be hitting the A-Lines is ludicris. They NEED to be hitting hard shit young.
However, with all that said, I see some good riders in Vet's that have dropped back this season when they should have stayed in Elite or Expert. I understand their reasons why they have done it. As my riding stepped up over the off season to close the gap on last seasons winners, a new batch came in with much faster times.
What do you say to that? Honestly, I don't really care, as long as I have fun and get my moneys worth.

On making tracks easier.....DONT! Safer maybe, not easier. People might come back at me with flame throwers, but hear me out. If our race tracks where building sites for an example, OH&S would shut them down. Having poor run in or run outs of pretty big jumps is just stupid. Putting padded bags on trees and boulders will fix this issue. But more common sense needs to be taken when building tracks.
And to the dude who posted something about making armour and protective gear compulsory, stupid. Unless you want to pay for my neckbrace. I will be using one as soon as I can well, ride again and can afford to buy one. But that is my choice. Armour didn't stop my Femur being broken in 2 places.:rolleyes:

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
does anyons have any aguments against the line closing other than "people can take what risks they want"

Also ive noticed that on the home page of farkin reaults to other australian series such as the sunline series and the NSW series. I think it would be good for our series to have our results up there to. It would help increase peoples awearness of our great series.

Closing lines is not necessary for any class and I can't see how it would make any difference, it'll just create another headache. As far as people injuring themselves, well, take some responsibility for your riding and ride within your limits. Simple.

Sport and Expert will always be large categories, if Expert quals are dropped, it still will be a field of 30 plus riders. People will always enter a class they feel comfortable with and there is always going to be riders who should be in a class above and there will always be riders who should drop a class as well. There are Expert riders who only ride Expert because they have an opportunity for a second run, in a lot of cases these guys wouldn't even make the podium in Sport.

Lincoln summed it up the best. We're the only state that gives these classes a second run. We need to put more prestige and numbers back into the Elite field by allowing them and U19's a final run only, if you qualify in these fields it is an achievement and you are rewarded by being one of the last competitors down the hill in front of all the adoring fans. Those in Expert who are semi serious about their racing and want the opportunity for a second final run will step up and those that aren't will stay in Expert.

Good point about Vic results posted here. We seem to get forgotten about a bit but I would suspect that is more because it is a NSW/QLD dominated site with lots of mods who have the ability to post on the front page coming from these states, the only Mod we have down here with any remote interest in DH racing is S. I have actually asked him to put something up on the front page.

Mr King

Likes Dirt
I guess we will need to get a media contact at Rotorburn to post the VDHS results (Victorian DownHill Mountain Bike Series - long winded I know but it works as VSS is also used by the state xc boys, and we don't want to confuse xc with dh now do we!) S. is a great option but unfortunately he will be out of the country for a while. When He returns I'll be hitting him up for this role. So if there are any mods out there who would like to help... shoot me an email or PM.

In terms of making tracks safer, I am proposing that ALL tracks are bunted with flexible conduit pole (instead of deathly wooden pickets - like the one that nailed Wayne Hines of Club Mud a few years back - he actually rode to the finish line with it still impaled in his leg - what a legend!). This doesn't have any impact on making tracks easier, but makes them shit loads safer. More padding around trees and off the edges of gnarly rock gardens is also an option, like the hay bales they cover with red/orange vinyl at ski resorts. I know it would be a logistical problem for race organisers, but with foresight we can have these prepared for races.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
I guess we will need to get a media contact at Rotorburn to post the VDHS results (Victorian DownHill Mountain Bike Series - long winded I know but it works as VSS is also used by the state xc boys, and we don't want to confuse xc with dh now do we!) S. is a great option but unfortunately he will be out of the country for a while. When He returns I'll be hitting him up for this role. So if there are any mods out there who would like to help... shoot me an email or PM.
I can get this done quite easily.. There are certain easy steps you have to follow to get stuff on the front page, you dont necessarily have to be a MOD..

Kingy, i'm still in contact with JT getting him on board for the article.. I've talked to him on the phone and via email, but just waiting for the green light till everything will be put together. Looking promising though ;)

Will speak to you about this when i hear back from him again in a few days.

And for those that don't know, i'm working on some media coverage through [R]evo for you all

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
I have to agree with everything in this post. Thanks for chipping in Link.

I am in two minds of this, firstly, I can understand your point. But, lets use me as a case in point. There are a number of A-Lines on the vic tracks that I can't do, but I don't think that closing them off will help me get better. I need to HTFU and do them. It's called progression. And saying that some of these jouniors should be hitting the A-Lines is ludicris. They NEED to be hitting hard shit young.
However, with all that said, I see some good riders in Vet's that have dropped back this season when they should have stayed in Elite or Expert. I understand their reasons why they have done it. As my riding stepped up over the off season to close the gap on last seasons winners, a new batch came in with much faster times.
What do you say to that? Honestly, I don't really care, as long as I have fun and get my moneys worth.
Closing lines is not necessary for any class and I can't see how it would make any difference, it'll just create another headache. As far as people injuring themselves, well, take some responsibility for your riding and ride within your limits. Simple.

Sport and Expert will always be large categories, if Expert quals are dropped, it still will be a field of 30 plus riders. People will always enter a class they feel comfortable with and there is always going to be riders who should be in a class above and there will always be riders who should drop a class as well. There are Expert riders who only ride Expert because they have an opportunity for a second run, in a lot of cases these guys wouldn't even make the podium in Sport.

Lincoln summed it up the best. We're the only state that gives these classes a second run. We need to put more prestige and numbers back into the Elite field by allowing them and U19's a final run only, if you qualify in these fields it is an achievement and you are rewarded by being one of the last competitors down the hill in front of all the adoring fans. Those in Expert who are semi serious about their racing and want the opportunity for a second final run will step up and those that aren't will stay in Expert.

Good point about Vic results posted here. We seem to get forgotten about a bit but I would suspect that is more because it is a NSW/QLD dominated site with lots of mods who have the ability to post on the front page coming from these states, the only Mod we have down here with any remote interest in DH racing is S. I have actually asked him to put something up on the front page.
Thanks for the input guys, its exactly what I wanted to hear.

Last edited:

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and would this "Jazza" happen to be the guy whos been winning the expert class by massive margins with times that would have highly placed him in elite all the time?
In defence of Juzza, I honestly don't know where his outright speed has come from, maybe he can tell you. Half way through this season he has become another rider altogether and I'm sure he is ready to step up and ride with the big boys. Juz?

It is a series and consequently no rider should be made to step up half way through, it's up to the organisers to closely monitor the times and placings at the end of this series and make judgements on who should go up and who should stay. These descisions should be final and not at the riders discretion as too what they want to do.

I tell ya, once Expert quals are dropped, a bunch of em' will go up to Elite. As they should!

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
in defence of juzza, i honestly don't know where his outright speed has come from, maybe he can tell you. Half way through this season he has become another rider altogether and i'm sure he is ready to step up and ride with the big boys. Juz?

It is a series and consequently no rider should be made to step up half way through, it's up to the organisers to closely monitor the times and placings at the end of this series and make judgements on who should go up and who should stay. These descisions should be final and not at the riders discretion as too what they want to do.

I tell ya, once expert quals are dropped, a bunch of em' will go up to elite. As they should!
my comment has offended a fellow farkineer so i would like to apologise and remove my comment

Last edited:

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
All for party like enviroment but not over done (dont forget guys and gals, some of us have to race)

good tunes, live band/s

maybe send out some scouts to suss out more unknown tracks, and get some boys who made their own track to let use race it (use the scouts to see if it is race worthy)

random give aways are always fun

novity events, ie 16inch races down the track

but so far some great ideas. cant wait

Mr King

Likes Dirt
Class Ranking System

In regards to the 2008/2009 final series standings, I think everyone in 2009/2010 should be issued with the number plate corresponding to where they finished the previous season, as was done with the top 20 elite riders this year (so if you finished 57th in elite in 2008/2009 you get plate #57 in 2009/2010). That way you have riders in front and behind you that have similar capabilities so there isn't much chance of catching someone in your race run (big offs and crashing aside). When a new rider starts a season they start at the back of the order and have to work their way up in the class according to season final standings. This will encourage people to attend more races and improve their skills to move up a ranking in their chosen class.

If a rider moves up a class, they will therefore be given the last number available at the time in that class (if you won under 19's in 2008/2009 you will get the first available elite plate in 2009/2010....)

I know that a lot of riders will move up a class, therefore leaving a void in the race order - I guess we just retire those numbers until the next season...

Thoughts?

jimmy-dh

Likes Dirt
All for party like enviroment but not over done (dont forget guys and gals, some of us have to race)

good tunes, live band/s

maybe send out some scouts to suss out more unknown tracks, and get some boys who made their own track to let use race it (use the scouts to see if it is race worthy)

random give aways are always fun

novity events, ie 16inch races down the track

but so far some great ideas. cant wait
and how many downhill worthy 16 inches do you know of? Its a fair idea but i just dont see it.

jmurphy

Likes Dirt
Class Ranking System

In regards to the 2008/2009 final series standings, I think everyone in 2009/2010 should be issued with the number plate corresponding to where they finished the previous season, as was done with the top 20 elite riders this year (so if you finished 57th in elite in 2008/2009 you get plate #57 in 2009/2010). That way you have riders in front and behind you that have similar capabilities so there isn't much chance of catching someone in your race run (big offs and crashing aside). When a new rider starts a season they start at the back of the order and have to work their way up in the class according to season final standings. This will encourage people to attend more races and improve their skills to move up a ranking in their chosen class.

If a rider moves up a class, they will therefore be given the last number available at the time in that class (if you won under 19's in 2008/2009 you will get the first available elite plate in 2009/2010....)

I know that a lot of riders will move up a class, therefore leaving a void in the race order - I guess we just retire those numbers until the next season...

Thoughts?
I love you and all Kingy but that is pretty stupid, if you think practically! There would be to many people, there would be more people than plates, and what is the point of retireing number, what a waste of money which is spent on buying these plates! Top 20 in elite and maybe top 5 in other classes but everyone else should just get what they are given!!!

James

swanny

Likes Dirt
Did you just call Kingy stoopid??? I thought someone on here called you smart James.

Ha ha, I can hear the screach of the DUCT TAPE now.

Keep all the idea coming, like we said, good, bad STUPID, keep them coming. There will be a big get together of all the VIC clubs involved soon and we will actually be using YOUR suggestions to better this series. It will not fall on deaf ears. Plenty of good valid points and much notice is being taken..

Matt.

jmurphy

Likes Dirt
Did you just call Kingy stoopid??? I thought someone on here called you smart James.

Ha ha, I can hear the screach of the DUCT TAPE now.

Keep all the idea coming, like we said, good, bad STUPID, keep them coming. There will be a big get together of all the VIC clubs involved soon and we will actually be using YOUR suggestions to better this series. It will not fall on deaf ears. Plenty of good valid points and much notice is being taken..

Matt.
Nah I didnt call Kingy stupid, I said his Idea was stupid haha, cant you feel the love!

James

Barrett

Likes Dirt
Promo girls maybe...just putting it out there, makes us look pro and are easier on the eyes than nato

...Possibly a "walk" video of the track to be posted on U-tube? I know it helps me learn a trail a bit better when I can watch it on the PC. Especially good for interstate riders. This could be done at any race, just to give new riders an idea of the particulair terrain / features.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Promo girls maybe...just putting it out there, makes us look pro and are easier on the eyes than nato
I second this! But i doubt this will ever work if import and nato are let loose around them....

I also going to mention a change of venue for Champs again, aswell as excluding as part of the series total also..

S.

ex offender
Great to see the guts, determination and dedication as the riders flash by - some with various bits of protection, some with none.

Because everything will be ok - so long as everthing IS OK - until a tree or rock moves, there needs to be a minimum protection level applied to riders of helmet, neckbrace, pads for knees and elbows. If this cannot be applied - to save people from themselves; then there needs to be a sliding scale on the entry fee where the insurance component is concerned.

Standard protection also means that everyone is "handicapped" i.e. has movement restricted or carries additional weight, to the same degree.

Pad up and its cheaper all round - in hospital time and in the wallet and by the way, there would possibly be less downtime on clearing accidents as the injuries might be of a lesser nature.

Lets make a fabulous series even better - and safer :)
I can see where you're coming from, but I personally do NOT want to see downhill racing becoming a tightarse sport governed by something akin to WorkSafe regulations. I don't believe you have a better capacity than I do to judge what is sufficiently safe equipment for me to ride in, and so I do NOT appreciate the idea that safety equipment should be standardised any further than the bare minimum (ie a helmet). In other words, I can make my own decisions and choose what risks I take, and I think it is supremely arrogant of anyone to claim that their judgement is better than that of everyone else. The unfortunate reality is that insurance premiums aren't going to drop if more people are forced to wear more armour anyway - especially since that insurance is very rarely claimed against anyway. Forcing riders to use all that stuff also greatly pushes up the cost of the sport - it's not hard at all to drop $2000 on protective gear (I should know, because I have), you can buy the bike for less than that.

Anyway, my contribution - series overall entry, where you pay a slightly discounted rate compared to the total for paying for each round individually, and get automatically entered in all rounds. All you have to do at rego is rock up and say "yes, number 456 is racing today" and the volunteers there can tick you off on the list. Less paperwork, hopefully less confusion about multiple entries/numbers, gives the clubs/organising committees more up-front capital at the start of the season, gives the serious racers a slightly discounted rate, and encourages people to turn up to all the rounds rather than missing the odd one.