2009 Giant ATX Frame on eBay??

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I came across a 2009 Giant ATX frame on eBay for $276, and want opinions if i should get it.

I have a 08 XTC2, with a 21" frame, which is a bit big, but this is a 19", and looks very nice in blue. The only problem with it is transfering the components from one frame to another, i wouldn't trust myself doing it, but could convince the LBS to do it for a fee. Less than $300 for that frame seems too cheap to me as well.

Thanks for any input guys.
PS, was going to post eBay link, but i have less than 5 posts so the forum won't let me

Attachments

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$100 is fine, i wouldn't mind that. With the smaller frame having a smaller head tube length, do i need spacers as well? Or would the Bike shop deal with that too?

'Ross

Eats Squid
^^^You could get spacers or cut the steerer tube down.

Things to look for is if it uses the same style of headset? If it uses the same seatpost size? Same bottom bracket? Im assuming these will be the same but its worth checking before you commit to a purchase.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm pretty sure you'll find that all Giants are the same for tubing, seat post and headset sizes. The whole lot should transfer easily, although I'm not going to guarantee it! :)

I'd say the steerer tube should be very similar in size, so you should be OK

Those frames are on the net all the time. They seem to come out of China or Taiwan and probably are had at "mates rates". I rode with a dude today that had a Lapierre that he got for around the same price and he was really happy with it. I say go for it. If it doesn't work out you can still transfer everything back to the 2008 ;)

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I came across a 2009 Giant ATX frame on eBay for $276, and want opinions if i should get it.

I have a 08 XTC2, with a 21" frame, which is a bit big, but this is a 19", and looks very nice in blue. The only problem with it is transfering the components from one frame to another, i wouldn't trust myself doing it, but could convince the LBS to do it for a fee. Less than $300 for that frame seems too cheap to me as well.

Thanks for any input guys.
PS, was going to post eBay link, but i have less than 5 posts so the forum won't let me
Where abouts are you located? Some members here are always keen for a build day, provided beer and choc teddy bears are supplied, as well as a substantial test ride after ;)

As Miko said, those frames literally come straight out of the back door of the assembly plant. Share practially the same geo and tube dia. as the XtC line.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think im going to do this. Headset is the same, bottom bracket and seatpost diameters are the same. The only confusing thing is an 08 XTC2 frame like mine is on there for US$350, and these ATX Pro ones are only US$180. But there are heaps of the ATXs and only one XTC, so it everyone might be in competition with each other?

I'm in Newcastle btw

c0de

Likes Bikes
i think im going to do this. Headset is the same, bottom bracket and seatpost diameters are the same. The only confusing thing is an 08 XTC2 frame like mine is on there for US$350, and these ATX Pro ones are only US$180. But there are heaps of the ATXs and only one XTC, so it everyone might be in competition with each other?

I'm in Newcastle btw
which one is better, atx or xtc? im thinking about a new frame too, they seem pretty cheap! only thing is that it has the V brake mounts which are probably stuck on (i use discs only)

Ive just done something similar. going from a XTC 17" to a 19" in a newer model.

You will need spacers for the headset, but they are only a few dollars. Check the seatpost diameter, some of the giants have really large tubes, and come with a seatpost shim (spacer) from new. Check the frame comes with this if its not a standard seatpost size as the shims are a bit of a hassle to find/buy separately.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shim is a good point. I thought all new Giants had a 30.9 seat post size though. Maybe I'm wrong. Older ones seemed to have 31.6 and then used a shim and came with a 27.2 post.

As far as the ATX vs XTC, I doubt there's much difference. They may use different aluminium though, it might be worth checking out what they are made from.

It should be solid either way, one might be lighter. However, depending on the model level the difference might just be the paint job!

V brake bosses usually can be removed, but the lug will still be there.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I received the frame yesterday, was very happy with it initially, looks good, nice and light. Then i realised that the frame is a 17", not the 19" that i ordered. Have not stopped fuming. It is going to be such a hassle to get a 19" now from the seller :mad:

Apparently Paypal has protection for issues like this, but the guy is not going to be happy to pay delivery for the 19", and receive a 17" that is not nicely wrapped up anymore

Isildur

The Real Pedant
That's the good thing about Paypal though. As long as the Auction you bought from states 19" clearly, the seller either has to change the frame over, or you get a full refund on the goods.

Plus, none of the big eBay sellers like negative feedback if they can avoid it, so I think you'll find it'll work out OK (although not necessarily entirely quickly).

Slowman

Likes Dirt
which one is better, atx or xtc? im thinking about a new frame too, they seem pretty cheap! only thing is that it has the V brake mounts which are probably stuck on (i use discs only)
I bought one of these "ATX" frames, the 2008 red one, they are in fact the XTC. For some reason they call them ATX in the Asian market. It cost me about $200 delivered...can you say bargain?

I received the frame yesterday, was very happy with it initially, looks good, nice and light. Then i realised that the frame is a 17", not the 19" that i ordered. Have not stopped fuming. It is going to be such a hassle to get a 19" now from the seller :mad:

Apparently Paypal has protection for issues like this, but the guy is not going to be happy to pay delivery for the 19", and receive a 17" that is not nicely wrapped up anymore
Bad luck. This has happened to me a couple of times and what I have done is used the cost of the return freight to bargain for a partial refund and then I've sold it or in one case built it up and found it was OK anyway - just a longer seat post and stem (but also add the cost of the stem and seatpost too). It usually works out way better than trying to return ship and reship the correct size for the seller so they are usually willing to negotiate. They have been in the 2 instances where I've had it happen.

Last edited:

Napalm73

Likes Bikes

Hi,

Did you get the frame sorted? Those frames look great value given the Aussie dollar at the moment.

Cheers,