2010-2011 National Series dates and venues

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Baw Baw was originally down as DH #2 but MTBA moved the date to avoid a known clash with Newtons.

When the OP updated the Date for Baw Baw they simply forgot to change the Tassy DH to round #2.

Rent_a_crowd

Likes Dirt
Can someone please tell me how long it would take me to get from Surfers to Illinbah. Having trouble finding accommodation near the track within the budget.

Googlemaps says 1 hour but not sure if I trust Googlemaps too much.

Any help from the locals would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know what the Nerang Caravan park is like? Bit sus that they don't have a website.

Cheers

d_j1

Likes Dirt
Can someone please tell me how long it would take me to get from Surfers to Illinbah. Having trouble finding accommodation near the track within the budget.

Also, does anyone know what the Nerang Caravan park is like? Bit sus that they don't have a website.

Cheers

Depending on where exactly you're staying in Surfers it should take between 45mins to 1 hour to get there. For accommodation try having a look at Canungra. They have a caravan park there that alot of the guys use for race accommodation. It's about 15mins to the track from Canungra. Hope this helps.

iridedh

Likes Dirt
Yes agree but the tracks are out there. I know around the Illinbah area, are heaps of big mountains with big rocky sections, big roots and big drops.
Thats right, outlook, mount tamborine and even nerang!!!
i tell you what, if the kids can do the whole run in the outlook, they wont be scared of big jumps no more!!!!! rocky sections in tamborine are nice to practice too.

So for everyone out there that has a saying where the next race will be, please pick south east Qld!!!! good weather, big hills and nice parties!!!!!lol plus there is a lot of races down the country and only one up here.

thanks

iridedh

Likes Dirt

Cheers

good 45 minutes!!! if you know how to get there, if not you wont be too far from what google said!!!1\

send me a message, i will be racing and i live in broadbeach, we could go together. i probably have room for one rider and one bike in my car.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Hey guys, if anyone has accomodation at any of the national rounds, aswell as a lift from your house to the venue, PLEASE send me a PM or reply here ASAP.
I am looking at trying to get to most, if not all the rounds to get some filming done.

Nathan_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Cheers
not sure if its the same caravan park im thinking of, but there is sharps park, which is more of a camp ground, but is not far from the track, fair cheap to stay a night to, round $5, but its only a camp ground. does have all the emenities you need tho

sitrus7

Likes Bikes
I get what your saying but there are other factors in play here. The Australian Champs, Oceania's and National series are all races that help with selection into the Australian team. This year we have Adelaide for Aussie champs and maybe shep for Oceania's. These are two tracks that shouldn't be used to select riders for Australian teams. Why? The world champs next year are in Champery. Have you seen that track?. i have and let me tell you, any junior picked to race on that track is going to have to have no fear at all. Picking a team from the two aussie tracks mentioned above, is not a true indication of how these kids can ride on a "True" mountain bike track.

Take Italy 2 years ago. Our juniors were picked from the National series, Aus Champs (canberra) and Oceania's (Nelson NZ). These young men went over to Italy and some of them were scared shitless when they walked the track for the first time. They had never seen or ridden a track like it. Needless to say that were alot of crashes, with one broken bone and a bit of concussion. Even my son Rhys was worried about that track and still is now.

All I'm saying is: if we are going to pick tracks to select Australian teams from, then put these kids on bigger, more technical tracks that are equivalent to the tracks they will be racing in the world champs. Then you will get a true indication of how these kids will handle the big European tracks.

We need more tracks like Illinbah and Hobart for selecting Australian representatives and not some of the crap we are using now. No offense to the people who built or run these events but tracks like Shep should be used for local rounds and not nationals ect.

When we can produce better tracks that will give our talented juniors and elite, a better indication of what they are up against overseas, only then will we be able to get better results. For Example: Rhys had a shocker with his first year overseas. Shaun O'Connor had a bad year last year. Even young troy is finding the tracks over there challenging. They shouldn't have to spend a full season overseas getting use to "real" mountain bike tracks. Lets give them what they need here to start with.
Sorry for the grave dig. Its been a while. If Eagle Mountain Bike park and the other trails in SA aren't good preparation for riders on the world stage why do we have The junior world champ Troy Brosnan and a team of equally fast riders ready to go.

By your argument we should see Canadians dominating the world cup scene. The have hills coming out their crap holes!!

Eagle does a lot with a small hill but we didn't make it a technical nightmare to sort out the riders. Everyone rides the same track in the end, it can be fun and get the selection job done at the same time.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Steven W is on the money, you my friend are far from it...
We've got the senior and junior world champ riders currently so that does say something. Sure Hill's been on the circuit for a while now but it was Troy's first season and look how well he's done.

Having big hills help but they're not everything.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just because our hills aren't as big, doesn't mean we cant have wild tracks.
I don't think its the hill size thats a problem, there is more than enough hills in Australia to build some very hard tracks, but the whole scene is a long way behind Europe and Canada.

bikeman102

Likes Dirt
hey guys just a quick question, if i am 16 and will still be 16 at then end of the series next year am i still able to race u17? ill be turning 17 in late august

harveyp

Likes Dirt
hey guys just a quick question, if i am 16 and will still be 16 at then end of the series next year am i still able to race u17? ill be turning 17 in late august
Your age as at 31 December 2010 will determine the age category you race in for the entire series. If you turn 17 in August 2011 then you will still be eligible to race Under 17 category. If you turn 17 prior to 31 December 2010 then you race Under 19. Hope that helps you.

jon55sey

Likes Dirt
December 31 2010? That means if a rider is turning 19 on Jan 1 2011 he/she can still race U19 after he/she has turned 19?

Wouldn't the age classification be as of December 31 2011 seeing as its 2010/11 season? In 2008 Illinbah National I was 18, but wasn't able to race U19 as it was 2008/2009 season and seeing as I turned 19 in July 2009 I had to race Elite.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your age as at 31 December 2010 will determine the age category you race in for the entire series. If you turn 17 in August 2011 then you will still be eligible to race Under 17 category. If you turn 17 prior to 31 December 2010 then you race Under 19. Hope that helps you.
It can't be 31st of December because as jon55sey says if you turn 19 early next year going by that date you'd still be racing in UNDER 19s after tunring 19. I just had a quick look on the rego page to see what catergory I can nominate for as I will still be 16 by the end of the national season but it says I must either race u19 or junior hardtail so it must be go by your age at the end of 2011.

adman

Likes Dirt
We've got the senior and junior world champ riders currently so that does say something. Sure Hill's been on the circuit for a while now but it was Troy's first season and look how well he's done.

Having big hills help but they're not everything.
I don't know how Troy felt at the early races, but my guess is that it took 2 - 4 world cup rounds to get used to the difference in gradient and difficulty. Towards the end of the season he got far quicker on the European tracks and managed to take the Gold at the champs which are the last races each year.

You're point is basically invalid - sure, we have guys at the top, but there isn't much middle ground. Many people who are the top in Australia end up near the bottom on their first times on these tracks.

We need tougher, steeper and more demanding national rounds. There really isn't much of a distinction between state and national rounds at the moment.

harveyp

Likes Dirt
It can't be 31st of December because as jon55sey says if you turn 19 early next year going by that date you'd still be racing in UNDER 19s after tunring 19. I just had a quick look on the rego page to see what catergory I can nominate for as I will still be 16 by the end of the national season but it says I must either race u19 or junior hardtail so it must be go by your age at the end of 2011.
Spot on fella's, its been a long week!!!! It should have read age as at 31 December 2011 and in this case his birthday falls in August so therefore he races Under 19. Just for the record, if MTBA got their act together and published the Rider Information Booklet which contains all this vital information then we would not be having this discussion! After all, it is only 5 weeks before round 1 at Illinbah - jeez, I hope the rain pisses off:eek: