2010-2011 National Series dates and venues

Sam91

Likes Bikes
I don't know how Troy felt at the early races, but my guess is that it took 2 - 4 world cup rounds to get used to the difference in gradient and difficulty. Towards the end of the season he got far quicker on the European tracks and managed to take the Gold at the champs which are the last races each year.

You're point is basically invalid - sure, we have guys at the top, but there isn't much middle ground. Many people who are the top in Australia end up near the bottom on their first times on these tracks.

We need tougher, steeper and more demanding national rounds. There really isn't much of a distinction between state and national rounds at the moment.
You can't really help it if we don't have the resources or the hills! Australia's landscape is much different to that of the likes of Cananda etc..

Considering only the minority of Australia's DH community actually compete in the the World cup series I think we are doing ok! Remember better tracks means more funding which means higher prices for racers. What would you prefer?

Why not Ask the Pro's themselves what they think of Australia's racing scene?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
There really isn't much of a distinction between state and national rounds at the moment.
I tend to agree with this line in your post.
With State and National rounds often using the same tracks, it's very hard to tell the difference. They needs to be a destict difference between Club, State, National and Oceania/International.
  • State Champs on National Level tracks.
  • National Champs on International level tracks.
But that's just my 2c worth.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I tend to agree with this line in your post.
With State and National rounds often using the same tracks, it's very hard to tell the difference. They needs to be a destict difference between Club, State, National and Oceania/International.
  • State Champs on National Level tracks.
  • National Champs on International level tracks.
But that's just my 2c worth.

I don't think there is that many tracks in Australia that have the elevation, the terrain and the speed to be at the same level as tracks on the international/WC circuit..

Theres the potential though.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
I don't think there is that many tracks in Australia that have the elevation, the terrain and the speed to be at the same level as tracks on the international/WC circuit..

Theres the potential though.
If NPWS weren't such tossers, there are plenty of locations that would be suitable for world class tracks. Take Thredbo for example, restricted to a single track because of the tight restrictions for the flora and fauna, yet perfect facilities, chairlift, enough room for pits, village right at the bottom of the track, nearby town (Jindabyne), unique landscape, and the potential for a world class bike park.
If that place could get more tracks, a slope-style/freeride park and a better 4X track, it could easily be the biggest and best facility in Australia.
Terrain is also sleep enough in some parts to have something steep put in.

Brodie10

Likes Bikes
4x nationals?

Hey, just wondering if anyone has heard updates on the 4x? Now illinbah is cancelled, there is only one race (Tassy...if thats still on??) And its getting a bit late to be able to book flights and stuff.

adman

Likes Dirt
Tassie will be on.

Tassie will always be on.

And shits gonna go down!

Nah but I'm not sure about other 4x races on the national circuit.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Adman makes a very good point about tracks.

The problem isn't that we don't have the hills, it's more that as a community there is more emphasis put on safety and catering for novice riders than the elite possible world cup riders.

Tracks get criticised every time someone gets injured, regardless of whether it was due to poor construction or rider error, then end up being changed to be made easier. Just look at all the complaints about the Mont 24 hour triple.

frenchie

Glenorchy MTB Park
As an organiser for the Glenorchy Round I can assure you it will go ahead with the same popular tracks, albeit for a few fresh tweaks to all courses.

And as the MTBA technical director for the national series I will say that an announcement in regards to more 4X racing in the series will be made very soon. We are just finalising a few things before we make an announcement so watch this space.

Burbass

Likes Bikes

The problem isn't that we don't have the hills, it's more that as a community there is more emphasis put on safety and catering for novice riders than the elite possible world cup riders.

Tracks get criticised every time someone gets injured, regardless of whether it was due to poor construction or rider error, then end up being changed to be made easier. Just look at all the complaints about the Mont 24 hour triple.
Exactly! This is so True and its a joke because it gets carried through to State and National Events, Unfortunetly there are alot of hang on and hopers these days and the minute they get hurt its because the track is too hard. You have two brakes the track is only as unsafe as you make it.

camtb

Likes Dirt

As much as I agree with what you're saying, some national tracks have sections that are just stupid, take Shepparton for example, the steep rocky section was just ridiculus along with nearly every other rock section on the track (including the B-lines)

The rock section was probably not that bad before the race, but after the first day of practice the amount of loose rocks/boulders that were carried down with riders (and not moved, no modifications to the track allowed) made it only possible for most of the top riders in Australia (it caused a fair few crashes aswell..)

The majority of the B-lines, actually looked harder, and I seen a lot of people crashing there too.

I have no idea why shepparton got oceanias and is now apparently replacing illinbah. We've went from one of the best tracks in australia, to a track that has one ridiculous rock section for ten metres, and 4 rock drops to flat or uphill, with the rest of the track being flat and easy. There are a lot of tracks that deserve rounds more than shepparton. Sorry if it offends track builders, you did the best anyone could with that hill.

Last edited:

swanny

Likes Dirt
Interesting read through this thread, and with valid comments and concerns. I too am particularly interested in what makes a great WC rider, and personally i dont think it the track, its the competition. If the WC raced all season long on tracks like You Yangs (for example) then the riders came to YY for a WC (Aaarrggghhhh) then they would still all be the same top riders winning. Look at Peaty, he has been winning on all sorts of courses for what.....17 years. And then he wins at Stromlo!!! Nico did the same, Sam Hill does it too, Minnaar, Blinky, Fairclough cant do as well, because he seems a little lazy, and he has a whinge every time the track doesnt suit him. Come on mate are you a DH RACER or not. Maybe if we Aussies stopped thinking about how our tracks compare, and start thinking about what matters.......getting-to-the-bottom-the-fastest------- DER!!!
Come on guys, we all have to race the same track on the same day, with the same level of equipment. Becoming an all round great rider is what makes the champions. Quit your bitching and start training, for what ever the racing throws at you.
Troy won worlds cos hes an amazing rider, full stop. He learnt from some of the best, went overseas to race the toughest competition (not tracks) in the world, and got great experience and learnt a lot about himself as a RACER not a rider. He can already ride just about anything a race can throw at him, then he learnt to do it fast.

Now on another note, the NEW track at Shepparton, will be much improved. At this stage it has only just been run in, but the plan is to make the track still really techo and difficult, less on the brakes all the time, much safer if you do crash, much easier to get first aid access, and an awesome flowy, jumpy finish section, oh and it will be longer. There is still more work to do, but it will be well worth the trip. And March is nowhere near as hot. Whoever said you cant do much with this hill is wrong, the hill is actually very cool, and bigger than the last track made it out to be. Stay tuned.......

Matt.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fast riding is a combination of many things and you can't just discount track design because you feel like it.

With the tracks we have we are still going to produce Sam and Troy calibre riders, just in the future they will come to the surface further apart.

stevenw

Pro Rider
Sorry for the grave dig. Its been a while. If Eagle Mountain Bike park and the other trails in SA aren't good preparation for riders on the world stage why do we have The junior world champ Troy Brosnan and a team of equally fast riders ready to go.

By your argument we should see Canadians dominating the world cup scene. The have hills coming out their crap holes!!

Eagle does a lot with a small hill but we didn't make it a technical nightmare to sort out the riders. Everyone rides the same track in the end, it can be fun and get the selection job done at the same time.
Even Troy will tell you that he struggled at the start of the WC season... The only difference is Troy didn't take all season to get use to the tracks over there.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Hey all, just need to know a couple of details for Hobart...

• what time would Sunday's racing conclude (podiums/presentations etc.)

• Would I be able to catch a 6:30 flight out from Hobart after the race (leaves at 7:30, just need to get there earlier.)
  • What kind of public transport is there to, and from the airport, and is there any transport to the venue at Mt Tolosa?
  • How long would it take from Tolosa to the airport by car?
  • Would it be worth hiring a car just to travel to and from the airport to the accommodation in Hobart and to the venue. I intend on staying at the venue both Saturday and Sunday, but is it far enough from the city as well as the airport that it would be of much use if we hired a car?
For future reference, would it be possible to organise a small information sheet on transport to and from the venue as well as within the city? Just a bit of information for people traveling interstate would be of use.

Cheers.

Last edited:

frenchie

Glenorchy MTB Park
Downhill is scheduled to finish at 4:30 and in reality with lower entry numbers it may finish earlier. Presso's may not finish until 5-5:30 if the schedule runs as planned. Even skipping the presso's, with packing up you'd be relatively tight.

There is an airport bu to Hobart City ($10 I think)

There are buses from Hobart-Glenorchy but they will not take your bike. There is some accommodation around Glenorchy within riding distance.

Tolosa to airport is around 45 min playing it safe, 30 min pinning it.

Hiring a car would be much more convenient.

As for the info sheet, we have done it in the past but it is different now MTBA manage the series. With the lag in getting the new MTBA site live this hasn't happened this year.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Downhill is scheduled to finish at 4:30 and in reality with lower entry numbers it may finish earlier. Presso's may not finish until 5-5:30 if the schedule runs as planned. Even skipping the presso's, with packing up you'd be relatively tight.

There is an airport bu to Hobart City ($10 I think)

There are buses from Hobart-Glenorchy but they will not take your bike. There is some accommodation around Glenorchy within riding distance.

Tolosa to airport is around 45 min playing it safe, 30 min pinning it.

Hiring a car would be much more convenient.

As for the info sheet, we have done it in the past but it is different now MTBA manage the series. With the lag in getting the new MTBA site live this hasn't happened this year.
Thanks for all that info, I plan on filming the whole weekend, so there's no chance I'd be riding a bike at all, just in need of filming the presentations.
Looks like it might be best to play it safe and stay in Hobart for the Sunday night and get the flight home the next morning...

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
National XCO Championships Adelaide Feb 2011

There are some cheap flights about at the moment and am wondering if the XCO U17, U19 masters finals will be on the Saturday as in 2010?

Thanks

Hope someone can reply today as fares are v low...