2010/2011 vic state cross country series

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Well it was a good day. The humble pie didn`t taste too bad.
Watching Alex and Jack fight it out for 5 laps wheel to wheel in the Elite men was great, right up until Jack`s front wheel washed out and Alex crashed over the top of him. Both riders up and going again but the damage was done, Alex had the break and continued on for the win.
Congratulations to all who took part.
Hey Red Gum, have you fixed that damn derailleur yet?
As for the suggestions about what to do with my clapper...... Hmmm
Cheers
MH

adaib

Likes Dirt
As for the suggestions about what to do with my clapper...... Hmmm
YOU!!! HAha
Your at every race i go to with that dam thing. In your nice warm car, right at the top of the biggest windyest hill on the course. You make me wanna be a marshel

red gum

Likes Dirt
l would like to thank John Harvey and the bendgio club for helping us with setting up and the timing gear could not have done it with out you.Madder Hatter had a very bent hanger have fixed it now l hope will see when l go dookie on sunday and do another 3 laps try to beat my time want be hard if a goes well (ruby says hello)

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
YOU!!! HAha
Your at every race i go to with that dam thing. In your nice warm car, right at the top of the biggest windyest hill on the course. You make me wanna be a marshel
It got a tad cold up there on top. So cold I had to start the engine to get the heater going. I even had to wind up the window to keep the drizzle out!

Does anybody know how the rider who went OTB at the start ended up? Freak accident. Hope he is OK.
(For those that missed, a rider completed a warm up lap and was returning to the start area when his front wheel came out and rolled down the hill as he bunny hopped the bunting. QR must have come loose while on the hill. Not pretty. A good argument for through axles.)
Cheers
MH

adaib

Likes Dirt
He went to hospital with concussion and head injuries.
Haven't heard anything about how he's recovering

great race guys
huge feild in u17 mens, compared to most races; 7 of us.

just a clarification: does being lapped make you an automatic DNF and if so do you reseive points?
i noticed in the round 2 results that i have been listed as a DNF, but i was lapped by my category leader and told i couldnt complete the last alocated lap. surely i have finished the race, just a lap down?
it was worth a 4th place which is points, will i reseive the points?

morgy

Likes Bikes
great race apart from half the track being hill climbing, and it sucked on my last lap i hit the wall with one 1km left, but walked the rest of it

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
great race guys

just a clarification: does being lapped make you an automatic DNF and if so do you reseive points?
i noticed in the round 2 results that i have been listed as a DNF, but i was lapped by my category leader and told i couldnt complete the last alocated lap. surely i have finished the race, just a lap down?
no idea but your spelling sucks.....seriously, you can't spell "receive"??!! Is our education system that bad?

Mind you, I am interested in a response to your question :) Is there even a points table kept? I know I have raced 1 out of 3 so I assume I have at least one point :p

adaib

Likes Dirt
great race guys

I'm not sure why you were listed as a DNF, its probably something you should contact that specific race director to clarify. As for points, according to the VSS webpage on the mtbv website, a DNF is still worth 1 point in the series. it mentions nothing about instant DNF-ing once lapped.

hope that helps

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
I was asked this very question by a rider while standing on top of the hill. They had already been lapped by the leader in their class and still had another lap to go. He continued and completed his full race distance, but if there was an answer available he may have opted to stop as the track was getting very slippery and the weather was closing in fast.
In most sporting events, once the leader has finished then every other competitor gets a negative time as they finish or a notation of how many laps down they were, as long they actually cross the line. Maybe it`s different with when you have so many classes doing a different number of laps to each other.
Cheers
MH

serowe

Likes Dirt
I was asked this very question by a rider while standing on top of the hill. They had already been lapped by the leader in their class and still had another lap to go. He continued and completed his full race distance, but if there was an answer available he may have opted to stop as the track was getting very slippery and the weather was closing in fast.
In most sporting events, once the leader has finished then every other competitor gets a negative time as they finish or a notation of how many laps down they were, as long they actually cross the line. Maybe it`s different with when you have so many classes doing a different number of laps to each other.
Cheers
MH
Strictly speaking it isn't a 'negative time' but an indication of the time behind the leader/winner in that class. Once either the time has elapsed (timed events such as Enduro's) or number of laps completed by the first rider (XC) then all riders are supposed to be permitted to complete the lap they are on but NOT start another lap. So if Joe Boggs completes 6 laps in 1 hr 20 min 25 secs and the second placed rider in 1 hr 25 min 30 secs he (the 2nd placed rider) *should* be shown as being 2nd and down by 10 min 5 sec. Similarly if a rider is a lap down although in this case only the difference in completed laps is usually shown.

If they are not permitting lapped riders to go out again then this should be indicated somewhere - either in rider briefing packs/notes available when registering or at the very least, mentioned at riders briefing. If it isn't then a) all riders should be permitted to continue until the race leader has finished and/or b) the organisation, well the best way to say it is 'isn't aware of what they are doing'.

akashra

Eats Squid
By the rules, they should finish a lap down. This has happened to me twice - once at Bendigo when we had the atrocious weather, when they made me complete the extra lap. When I read that they were helping with the timing, seeing this didn't surprise me. The other time (same year) I wasn't made to continue.
Hey, if you think that's bad, I've been made to lose a position in an enduro when someone started a new lap *after being timed after the 6hr mark*! (eg, him: 6:03, me: 6:04, him: 6:41) - now that's an amusing following of the rules :)

cleeshoy, the points table can be found in the MTBA technical regs, but off the top of my head it's 80, 65, 55, 48, 43, 38, 33, 29, 25, 22, 20, 19, 18, 17...5x5,5x4,5x3,5x2,...1 Feel free to correct me is I got this wrong (like I said, OTOMH).

Edit: Blergh. Decided to just grab the rule wording for you.

7.4.2. Lapped riders can be pulled out of the competition by the lead motorcycle (if
used) and reported to the Chief Commissaire. Lapped riders should complete the
lap on which they were lapped and then exit the competition in a designated
finish lane set prior to the start of the finish straight. They will be listed in the
results in order of finish plus number of laps down
It starts off by saying what the official 'Can' do, but then goes on to say what the *rider* 'Should' do - lol. Definitely a rule that needs updating of wording in the next revision.

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
cleeshoy, the points table can be found in the MTBA technical regs, but off the top of my head it's 80, 65, 55, 48, 43, 38, 33, 29, 25, 22, 20, 19, 18, 17...5x5,5x4,5x3,5x2,...1 Feel free to correct me is I got this wrong (like I said, OTOMH).
MTBA tech regs? Whats that? I was more thinking of a URL link :)

akashra

Eats Squid
heh, oh, yeah, uhh... good luck with that :(
I generally just calculate them myself, you get them quicker that way. Just pull the VES points spreadsheet and change the data might be the easiest way.

Fun side story: I've heard around the traps that [a particular] someone has been telling people I didn't publish any points for the VES last year (at all)... even though they went to media agencies and on the website after every round from round 2 onwards with both the pre- and post-race press releases. Amusing how pathetic some have become :(

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
heh, oh, yeah, uhh... good luck with that :(
I generally just calculate them myself, you get them quicker that way. Just pull the VES points spreadsheet and change the data might be the easiest way.(

Whoa steady on cowboy, I don't have a graduate working for me right now - when I do I will assign them that task :)
They better be excel literate or there will be hell to pay!

yeah thanks everyone for there contributions but ive ended up further confused. hahaha aw well. see everyone next race, ill clear up the issue with a mtbv rep then