2010/2011 vic state cross country series

serowe

Likes Dirt
If you're coming from the west side of the city, make sure you allow yourself plenty of extra time then with traffic for the GP coming in as well.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
+1 is a 30-something female who would like to enter..... took a look at the entry form and it has categories of "Expert", "Sport" and "Vets 30+" (which I guess is open to people aged over 30?!)

newbie question, but whats the difference between "Expert" and "Sport", or does she enter "Vets 30+"?

emty

Likes Dirt
If it's your first race you might want to enter sport, as this is the less serious catagory. Expert are pretty fast racers. If you are over 30 that vets is the catagory if you want to see how you compare to people of your own age.

But enjoy the race.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
If it's your first race you might want to enter sport, as this is the less serious catagory. Expert are pretty fast racers. If you are over 30 that vets is the catagory if you want to see how you compare to people of your own age.

But enjoy the race.
emty - thanks for clearing that up! With that info, I'll let +1 decide what she wants to do :)

riderideride

Likes Dirt
I will also be racing as a 30+ female and was going to enter Vets. Get her to enter Vets! last year I did Sports and there was hardly ever anyone else racing. I think for women there should just be "Elite" and "Non-Elite" cause there just isnt enough people entering! not so much fun when you are racing yourself all the time. Either that or just let us race against the Sport Men :D

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I will also be racing as a 30+ female and was going to enter Vets. Get her to enter Vets! last year I did Sports and there was hardly ever anyone else racing. I think for women there should just be "Elite" and "Non-Elite" cause there just isnt enough people entering! not so much fun when you are racing yourself all the time. Either that or just let us race against the Sport Men :D
Sweet as! Looks like she's in Vet 30+ then!

raunchy

Squid
start time

Hi Guys,
start time is 10:30AM, we will have a kids ride beforehand, Oh and if your not doing anything, a working bee the day before for some track cleaning and work.

Regards
Ray

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
r/cleeshoy,
Typically in the past Expert women has been pretty random as to whether or not it's even offered at rounds. My advice is pick what you believe is the most truthful to your abilities and stick with it throughout the series.
Under the 2011 rules the Expert men target race duration is the still same as Elite, but reduced (1:30-1:45, reduced from 2:00-2:15), however Expert is expected to cover at least one lap less in a similar period of time. All other male senior categories are now 1:15-1:30 (incl. Sport) under the 2011 rules, with all junior categories (U19/U17/U15) being a target of 1:00-1:15.

Womens target race times are now 1:00-1:15, with the exception of Elite, which is 1:30-1:45, and Veteran, which is 1:15-1:30.
I hope that's straightforward enough to make sense.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
My advice is pick what you believe is the most truthful to your abilities and stick with it throughout the series.

<very useful stuff snipped>

Womens target race times are now 1:00-1:15, with the exception of Elite, which is 1:30-1:45, and Veteran, which is 1:15-1:30.
I hope that's straightforward enough to make sense.
thanks akashra - very good information to know! :)

adaib

Likes Dirt
Any ideas of the distances each category needs to ride?
And are we using the new rock garden?
Also, (i may be pushing it though) does anyone have any garmin data on the loop being used ?

Cheers

akashra

Eats Squid
It's been $40 since November 2009 (the first round at Bendigo that year was run as $35, but the decision applied to every event after that), but what confuses me is why Juniors has gone up - there's never been any discussion whatsoever of it going up from $20, which is what had been decided and published all along.
A 'please explain' would be in order, I think... along with the day license fee being listed as $15 not $20.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Forrest Withdraws

Some updated information, all tentative, but I like people to see that's there's a little bit of progress

(Updated with correct days, the calendar in my brain was one day out for pretty much all the dates posted here this morning)
Round 1 - March 27 - Dirt Riders
Round 2 - May 8 - FTF, venue TBC. (corrected - May 8 is the second Sunday in May, 14th was the second Saturday)
Round 3 - June 12 - FGP, Lysterfield. This is a big TBC due to the state of Lysterfield currently, and it may be moved or canceled.
Round 4 - August 14 - GMBC@You Yangs (XCT/XCC)
Round 5 - September 11 - Tentative Mansfield/Mt-Buller @ Mansfield
Round 6 - October 9 (TBC) - Forrest

State champs - Nov 13, TBA. There are a number of clubs interested in this, and one has even claimed they are hosting it. This has not been approved by any club yet, and as such be very cautious of anything you hear or read until it is properly confirmed.
Just to confirm for all rotoburn'ers

The committee of Forrest MTB & Cycling Club have withdrawn our support for the 2011 Victorian State Series. As a result we will not be holding a round in 2011.

We look forward to a robust plan being put in place for 2012 and beyond, and will support a joint effort by the 40 MTBA affiliated bodies in this state, most of which are much larger and have many more resources than we do, to ensuring the Victorian State Series XC returns to it rightful place as a quality XC competition in the state.

We recognise that it is our own club juniors who will be most disadvantaged by our decision, and trust all readers understand that we did not come to this conclusion lightly.

Regards

Roland Eck
Secretary, Forrest MTB & Cycling Club Inc

With the post from Forrest it appears that rigor mortis may quickly be settling in on the 2011 State XC Series.

The rumor-mill hears that this is only the first in a line of defections being announced and that maybe the State Series will only be left with two or three rounds staying in the series.

Obviously the clubs involved have their reasons. If they share these reasons maybe the truth will be told, if not, rumors will abound.

But maybe the rumor-mill can help start this off.

For instance, is there any truth to the rumor that 3 people involved in mountain bike racing for a number of years are finding it hard to understand they no longer control the sport in victoria? in particular, do these 3 people understand that what may have been good for the sport (or appeared to be good) 4 or 5 years ago, simply doesn't work today? especially when a single person tries to decide they will allocate dates for a state championship without consulting other clubs involved in the running of that championship. and no prizes for guessing that Bendigo is up to its ears in this either - well at least one person from Bendigo and not necesarily the club itself (this is the problem with individuals thinking they are more important than there own club).

The role of the so-called MTBVic web site also needs to be questioned as it is playing a major role in the destruction of cooperation of Victorian clubs. its involvement with two respectable clubs (Dirtriders and Redhill) may well backfire on these two clubs - something those running these clubs are either completely ignorant about or complicit in what is going on.

But obviously, all of the above are only rumors - wether they are unsubstantiated rumors or not only time will tell. but as the Forest MTB club have confirmed the first part of them by pulling there support from the 2011 State XC series - who will be next to also pull their support? rumor-mill hears 3 more clubs will soon follow this withdrawal.

Watch this space closely.

Mark W.