2010/2011 vic state cross country series

Beechie

Banned
Critics

Lots of people who "volunteer" in mountain biking have a vested financial interest associated with events, trails and mountain biking in general.

The guys who are helping to organize series of XC and enduro are included in the above, as well as looking after their mates.

They are all doing a job that no one else is doing. They are "volunteering" if you don't like what they do then do it yourself or go else where. THEY ARE THE PEOPLE PREPARED TO GET THE JOB DONE. Praise them or do it yourself!

Transparency? I haven't seen their overseas trip schedule or new BMWs. Those who put
on events and organize em are entitled to commercial confidentiality.

Only when there is a body (legal entity) doing the stuff can accountability to some where or some one be seen to be done.

Last edited:

krusty66

Likes Dirt
In the words of one club rep 'if this is correct (ie GoldCross being named the series sponsor) we have had no say in it and hve no idea how it will benefit us as a club'.
I think it should be more around how does benefit all clubs and the sport?

I have a few ideas, increased promotion of races to a wider range of riders using website, monthly EDM's and instore promotional material. Good prize money attracting better riders which brings more media attention.

The sport needs to grow and this is a step in the right direction.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Don't get me wrong - I agree that a proper series sponsor is beneficial.

Prize money - as John said before - is usually only paid to the elites so a sponsor for the elites only is, well - there's a National Series for them :)

johndh

Likes Dirt
It is great to have a series sponsor (Goldcross) that is willing to put their $$ into the series along with the important sponsors that support local clubs with product and services, both are important to both series.

jane

Squid
Does anyone know anything about the next State round in officer? That's why i bumped this thread up...
details for next round:
VSS News: Round 2 is now being hosted on Saturday 11th June at Officer Scout Camp

VSS News: Round 2 is now being hosted on Saturday 11th June at Officer Scout Camp
What better way to start your long weekend than with Round 2 of the Goldcross Victorian State Series. The Officer scout camp has never failed as one of Victorias top racing venues. Track conditions are pretty damn good with hardly a puddle to be seen.
Location: GWS Andersons Scout Camp, Dickey Rd, Officer Click here for google map
Registration Opens 8am - All Racing starts at 10:30

Goldcross Cycles VSS Round #2 Course Map

Just back from marking out the course for the 2nd round of the Goldcross Cycles Victoria State Series at Officer.
Its a 4.8km loop with 200m of climbing per lap.
We were very nice on the climbing side of things keeping skipping in some of the higher sections to keep the track both fast and short.
We expect sub 20min laps for the Elite so looking at:
Elite - 6 Laps
Expert, Vets, Under 19, Elite Women - 5 Laps
Sport, Masters, Super Masters Under 17 - 4 Laps
Other classes 3 laps.
This may all change as I just made those laps up but I'm sure that some tweaking may be required. In general though those laps numbers will mean Elite doing less than 2 hrs. With enough bribes we could set it less!

So as for MUD. The course today was 95% dry. There are 4 small (10m) sections where you cross gullies and they had water and will become soup. But everything else was dry and hard pack and will stay that way.

Weather Forecast is for Scattered showers all week and same on Sat. Top of 14.

Don't Forget Race is SATURDAY 11TH
All Entries are on the day only.
Registration 8am to 10am
Racing for all categories – 10:30
Race Entry $40
MTBA day License if your not a member $20
Memberships available on the day or you can renew / buy your membership online from the MTBA website

adaib

Likes Dirt
Does the course include the steep rocky downhill section that runs along the main road, coming from the west?
That's a sick section of trail, and if its not included, you should, because it'll sort the men from the boys and the boys from the roadies. And i'll LOVE it!

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$40 to race a state Xc round dang last time raced (2006) it cost me $25.

I better get myself a decent job and start riding my bike again.

Last edited:

adaib

Likes Dirt
Hmm yeah that its a bit shit for a race where you only ride 30k max...
Oh well, i guess that's the price for racing a race in an 'official' series. Its not the club who sets the price

Oh well, i guess that's the price for racing a race in an 'official' series. Its not the club who sets the price
Actually it is the club that sets entry fees. just ask some of the clubs who refused to go with a collective agreement on enduro series entry fees for this year (bendigo for one)
or maybe its just the price to pay for having a so-called major sponsor.

Actually it is the club that sets entry fees. just ask some of the clubs who refused to go with a collective agreement on enduro series entry fees for this year (bendigo for one)
or maybe its just the price to pay for having a so-called major sponsor.
Not sure what effect the sponsorship had on the entry fee. I mean surely any support of the series would be beneficial to the series, why would the price be any different. Also if you bothered to read the thread, you would know that the entry price has been planned to be $40 before the series being sponsored.
Entry fee will be $20 for U19s, and $40 for all other categories.
It seems like people just want to blame Goldcross for trying to help. How is the series going to progress any further than where it is now if we don't let one of the bigger bike retailers in Victoria sponsor the series?

akashra

Eats Squid
lachstar2, while I agree with you, all I can say is that it's utter BS how the current organisers have treated the title sponsorship issue considering a similar (actually much better for the sport) offer was on the table last year and was knocked back, yet this year it's been rammed through without consultation of the host clubs. I can't really say a lot more than that (here). Johns comments here, however, I find totally two-faced considering the history of this - seriously John, *what the fuck*.
Not to mention that certain people bitched and moaned about me putting event info out there on here, yet those same people are now doing exactly the same thing.

As for bitching about Bendigo, let's be fair and not single them out. Not a single club could agree on anything being standard for 2011, and wanted to be able to run things the way they thought best for their invididual event, rather than being required to standardise on things like entry fees, cutoffs, entries on the day, categories, prizemoney etc etc.

FWIW, prices for VSS were:
$25 in 2006/2007
$30 in 2007/2008
$40 in 2009/2010, with the exception of Bendigo, which charged $35 because of a combination of them thinking $40 was too high, and them publishing the $35 before the $40 was agreed on in November 2009.

If the price being asked is a barrier to entry, that feedback needs to be heard. If you think it's too high, make sure you send that feedback to the organisers, and I certainly recommend making a noise about it here if those concerns aren't listened to - if enough people disagree with you, you'll get told to stfu :) I must admit however, I've heard it from riders it much rarer than other concerns. I haven't collected any survey data for VSS, but I can certainly tell you that for VES while $50 was in an acceptable range wrt responses, people seriously wanted a reduced-price series entry.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
God and I thought road riders were the whingers! :)

If you want to race pay the $. If you can't afford to race but want to, then prioritise your finances - its pretty $#@$ simple.

Three

Three issues raised.
1/ as long as the money goes to clubs and they use it for good MTB purposes who cares.
2/ the costs of running events is great AND is about to get much higher!!!!!!!!!
3/ entry fees may and I say may be more reasonable IF more people enter, a bit of economies of scale.

What does it cost to go to the footy these days? Yep $45 - plus a $10 pie with sauce and car parking and beer.......

Doh take a look at the cost of your bike and all the riding gear and how many hours you ride..............if you can afford that cost then $40 is cheap.

Of course how about a multi entry discount OR a discount for the first three races you enter as a newbie?