2010: An Otway Odyssey

kv1973

Likes Dirt
In my opinion the RR's looks like a great tyre hence I am waiting for my set to arrive. Certainly will provide more grip than the Xmark and good enough to run both front and rear which I hope to try out sunday week also at forrest. Last year I also ran tubeless (ignitor front and racing ralph rear) and like the reliablity of them...hence my question is rather are the RR's being very light weight will handle the OO terrain ok?

Last edited:

.stu.

Likes Dirt
aharratt..

I'd avoid using the Evo tubeless for enduro/marathon events as fatigue may result in a bad line that tears the thin sidewall, hence my choice of the Snakeskin variety for my ghetto tubeless setup.

Regarding suitability for the trails, this is my first odyssey and I've never ridden on crossmarks or rocket rons so I'll leave that for someone else.

toby

Likes Dirt
Depends how heavy you are on tires... lighter riders or those that choose good lines all the time can certainly get by without running UST tires tubeless... personally for events like this I prefer to go proper UST tires. The sidewalls are thicker and therefore provide protection against cuts etc. In two years of running UST Racing Ralphs I am yet to have an issue.

We run non_UST Rocket Rons on my girlies bike, she loves them... but then she doesnt go quite as hard as me and she is probably a more careful rider.

I ran Crossmark UST in the first OO and then went fine as well.. just love the extra bag of the Ralphs (over the Rons and the Xmarks)

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I used to run racing ralphs on my 29er(s) - there isn't a UST version so just ran em with a stans kit (on Stans rims)... I used a RR on the rear for last year's Kona 24hr and the grip was acceptable. It slipped about a bit in the 20hrs of mud but then, I don't think anything else would have been much better - it certainly wasn't the limiting factor speed wise (and it didn't seem to clog up at all - the knobs seem to shed the mud ok).

I've run ralphs at the Dirtworks (lots of rick and sharp stones) and they were fine (was glad when I got back to the fireroad though!) although I have previously had a sidewall tear up there on them which needed a tube to fix.

I have only ridden around Forrest and not the full OO course but RRalphs are (IMHO) one of the best picks for a general all-round trail tyre. Whether you decide to go the full UST version or not is personal preference - they get the weight down by reducing the thickness of the sidewall so they are a little vulnerable to incidents... I did loose the sidewall of a 26 UST racing ralph due to a errant piece of beer bottle during a road ride so not sure the UST version is a huge improvement...

I've always run stans in them (when I was using the UST version on my 26in bike).

Other options to consider are Conti Race Kings or Mountain Kings... I've switched from RRs to Race kings as my day to day tyre (rolls a little faster and not quite as pressure sensitive) and got a set opf mountain kings if it gets a little sloppy (slightly more open & agressive tread pattern)

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Racing Ralph are currently available in 4 basic flavours for 26", Evo, Snakeskin, Tubeless(UST) and Double-Defence. (weight given for 26x2.25)

Evo are the lightest with very thin sidewalls for minimum weight so greatest risk of sidewall tear. (520g)

Tubeless add the UST compatible bead to seal against UST rims, the sidewalls are reinforced with the intent to support the bead, not specifically to avoid sidewall tears. (710g)

Snakeskin has additional material across the entire carcass to resist scrubbing, ie. sidewall damage. (570g)

Double-Defence has the same additional material as the snakeskin as well as some proprietary Vectran fibres woven through the tyre to also avoid piercing damage. (610g)

Rocket Rons are not available in Snakeskin or Double-Defence.

So snakeskin seems like a reasonable compromise at only 10% heavier than the evo and without the un-wanted weight of the UST bead which makes the tubelss 40% heavier than the evo. As I run Stan's sealant anyway, I don't have problems with piercing damage from thorns etc.

The Racing Ralph is nice in that the range offers more options than just either UST or ultra-thin sidewalls.

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
I ran UST 2.1 RR's last years Otway and great. Then at the 6hr this year at Forest same again, just lowered the pressures when it was really raining, track dried up and put more pressure back in. When one section was really boggy they were sliding around but so was everyone, heaps of fun!

Not sure if this is the greatest place to ask, but I'm looking for a lift to and from Forrest from Canberra for the Oddysey - happy to share fuel costs. PM me if you can help out.

I have a twofold plan of attack for the race:
1. Bodgy tubeless racing ralphs.
(1.5. Some Nobby Nics in case it's muddy.)
2. A few months of real training.

Might bring a bike as well. We'll see how it goes.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Not sure if this is the greatest place to ask, but I'm looking for a lift to and from Forrest from Canberra for the Oddysey - happy to share fuel costs. PM me if you can help out.

I have a twofold plan of attack for the race:
1. Bodgy tubeless racing ralphs.
(1.5. Some Nobby Nics in case it's muddy.)
2. A few months of real training.

Might bring a bike as well. We'll see how it goes.
I can't help with the lift, but those tyres will definitely go better on a bike. Even in the wet. As for point two, it's not enough.

aharratt

Likes Bikes
I ran UST 2.1 RR's last years Otway and great. Then at the 6hr this year at Forest same again, just lowered the pressures when it was really raining, track dried up and put more pressure back in. When one section was really boggy they were sliding around but so was everyone, heaps of fun!
tmsl1,
were they 2.1 rocket rons non ust set up as Tubeless? on tubeless rims? Cheers Alex

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
2 x Racing Ralphs 2.1 UST on Mavic 717 rims and stans kit is what I've been running. Used to have Ignitor Front and Larsen TT rear, then back to 2 x TT's. Both were with tubes but struggled with pressures and soft side walls.

Just find the RR's quicker, grippier and I'm no whippet but can run pressures down to 32 psi or slightly below now. With OO, meant no screwing around with different tyres. If it pours like two years ago not many were riding the slop, then when you came in to Forest it drains quite well and enjoy the decent set of tyres for the good stuff.

If your at the pointy end racing for a spot on the podium, different story I guess.

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
Not long to go till the suffering begins ... 5-6 weeks to go now? Mmm should be fun.

I'll add my +1 for tubeless Ralphs, I'll be riding with mine come the Odyssey unless it's wet and then I'll go the Ignitors probably. And if it's a slopfest like a couple of years back then I'll be walking ...

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Other options to consider are Conti Race Kings or Mountain Kings... I've switched from RRs to Race kings as my day to day tyre (rolls a little faster and not quite as pressure sensitive) and got a set opf mountain kings if it gets a little sloppy (slightly more open & agressive tread pattern)
I'm keen to look at the Conti's as I really can't justify the bling for the RR's. I will be running them tubed and had a question on the size people would recommend. I like the look of the race kings as they are very similar to the Michelins Dry's I had (and loved before the b**^ards replaced them with Dry2's) and they come in a 2 and 2.2. What would people recommend size wise?

offthepace

Likes Bikes
Coaster said:
What would people recommend size wise?
Haven't used them yet, but from what I've been told the 2.2s are the ones to go for (grip) and that they seem like a different tyre to the 2.0. Just check the clearance of your frame.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
I'm keen to look at the Conti's as I really can't justify the bling for the RR's. I will be running them tubed and had a question on the size people would recommend. I like the look of the race kings as they are very similar to the Michelins Dry's I had (and loved before the b**^ards replaced them with Dry2's) and they come in a 2 and 2.2. What would people recommend size wise?
Just read a review of the conti race kings in the current MBA and they give them a pretty good wrap for the price. I think 2.2 are the go, I have been running the more expensive supersonics and they are awesome but about 5 times the price!

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't used them yet, but from what I've been told the 2.2s are the ones to go for (grip) and that they seem like a different tyre to the 2.0. Just check the clearance of your frame.
Just read a review of the conti race kings in the current MBA and they give them a pretty good wrap for the price. I think 2.2 are the go, I have been running the more expensive supersonics and they are awesome but about 5 times the price!
Thanks for responses. After a bit of a dig around the 2.2's are definately the way to go. I know this is heading into parts etc, but does anyone know if the 2.2's will fit an 08 Anthem? Looks very tight!!!