Likes Bikes
Male 60+ Podium

1 Kerry Ryan 6:37:01
2 Gerry Van Der Ploeg 7:09:57
3 Colin O'Brien 7:31:46

Great stuff!!

MTB_KAT

Likes Dirt
It sounds like a green tree snake, but I didn't think they were down in Victoria. We get them up this way (Northern NSW) - I've had to bunny hop one on a trail once.
Possibly a white-lipped snake:
Thanks, thats the closest snake I could find to the one I saw, I didn't stand there staring at it but it didn't seem to have any colouring around the mouth, most probably that one though as I don't think we have green tree snakes here either.

jjdevious

Squid
Great event, Shorty course much better than last year (while just as demanding) - many thanks Rapid Ascent and all involved, particularly the volunteers!

Couple of things - I can't seem to get the Shorty Results "Categories" and "Legs" pages to load - just keep getting the same "Overall Results" page - is it just me or is there a glitch in the site?

Also, does anyone know what happened to Murray Spink? Seems to have DNF'ed in S5 for some reason...?

Last edited:

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just curious, but does anyone know how many calories an average punter would go through doing the 100?

Second OO, beat my time so happy. God that 4th section before the first stop in Forrest does my head in. It just seems to wind in and out, up and down, and I really have to focus to keep going.

Again, great volunteers, a really well run event, and another good group of people to ride with. A really hard event but worth every minute and penny.

Congratulations to organisers, volunteers, and competitors for a great event.

Cheers,
Coaster

M12

Cannon Fodder
I enetered the 50k'er as my first mountain bike race (if you exclude mtb sections of duathlons and adventure races) and I had no idea what I was gonna be in for. I had only trained at Lysterfield which doesn't quite have hills like the we got at the start of Satruday's race and I hadn't ridden for more than 3hrs since probably October. But, I had fun, I love the feeling waking up yesterday and attempting to get out of bed.... usually sign of a good tough days work!

I found the early hills where we walked up took a bit out of me. My downhills are okay, the steeper descents aren't great, I guess I'll need to work on it. The second half wasn't too bad, less hills but we seemed to be going around in circles a lot and I have no idea where we went. I completely misjudged a jump and smacked straight into it and have a nice graze on my arm and a very sore and bruised thigh, I also hit a tree in a narrow section and my chain came off and got stuck behind the pedal, it took about 20mins or so to get it out, one rider stopped to help me and we tried to take the pedal off but neither of us had an allen key big enough, so I spent a fair bit of time trying to force the chain out with my hands, it eventually worked, but looking at it yesterday, I might need a new chain. The last 10k's went forever, you kinda have some idea of how far youve gone or what youve got left and the le last 4k's seemed to take forever. Toward the end I was fairly fatigued and some minor hills you can ride up.... I just cbf and walked a couple of them. I also had little energy to move out of the way of trees and plants that I would nick most of them. Eventually I found my way to a footy ground and I finished in 4hrs 56min which is okay I think.

Good day overall and I think I'll do it again.

toby

Likes Dirt
Just curious, but does anyone know how many calories an average punter would go through doing the 100?

Cheers,
Coaster
4000 odd for me according to mr Garmin 500

Temperature also seemed to peak between the 62 -64km mark... 38 degrees was what the Garmin said. Actually I didn't think it felt that hot but maybe I was delusional by then. Felt hotter going out on the last loop, that road just seemed to go on forever up a gradual gradient.

Fun race.. good times. Its a big trip down from Sydney and this being the third time I dunno if I will do it again. Will definately be back to ride the Forrest trails and taste the beer once the brewery opens!

Rockstar racing guys must have a problem with their bidon holders as I counted a few of their bottles lying around on the course.. i guess they would be looking for a new sponsor as they keep falling out ;) Shame as everyone else seems to manage to take theirs home with them and its pretty obvious when it says Endura Rock Star - I could even read the rider name!

Last edited:

bear the bear

Is a real bear
4000 odd for me according to mr Garmin 500

Temperature also seemed to peak between the 62 -64km mark... 38 degrees was what the Garmin said. Actually I didn't think it felt that hot but maybe I was delusional by then. Felt hotter going out on the last loop, that road just seemed to go on forever up a gradual gradient.

Fun race.. good times. Its a big trip down from Sydney and this being the third time I dunno if I will do it again. Will definately be back to ride the Forrest trails and taste the beer once the brewery opens!

Rockstar racing guys must have a problem with their bidon holders as I counted a few of their bottles lying around on the course.. i guess they would be looking for a new sponsor as they keep falling out ;) Shame as everyone else seems to manage to take theirs home with them and its pretty obvious when it says Endura Rock Star - I could even read the rider name!
What was your time and burn rate?
Also were you running a powertap or is it a Garmin guesstimate?

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
I did the 100km SS Rigid in 7hr and my HRM says that I burnt 7000Cal (30000kJ) for my 92kg body with an averagte HR of 154.

Damn that I was hoping to beat a Van De Ploeg. Missed out on beating the dad who is at least 35 years my senior.

Shall I assume that the Rock Star racing guys had guys handing out feeder bag illegally on course? I noticed a musette that was right before the rockstar brink bottle. Can someone tell me that I am wrong?

Last edited:

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
What was your time and burn rate?
Also were you running a powertap or is it a Garmin guesstimate?
Yeah, the Garmin 'guess' underestimates your effort on the MTB and over estimates it on the road. Quite annoying... but of course pairing with a powertap etc is the way to go (although even that has some limitations as it only measures 'work' and ignores the physical effort required to generate that effort - 200W when you're relatively fresh in 20'c is less calories burnt than 200W after 5hours in 30' heat)

felixmtb

Likes Dirt
It was a tough 50 that's for sure, tougher than last year? I cant really say, last year was cooler and I definitely finished a lot quicker than this year but the heat really got to me this year and slowed me down a lot, there were plenty of riders out there struggling to get through the last 25 and plenty of us running, or completely run out of water even after filling up at the footy ground, perhaps next year they need to look at more water stations along the way for both the 50 and 100? the first stop for the 100 I am told was at the 40k mark, the 100k riders I was with said they were struggling for water before the stop.
Hmmm thats why you were supposed to carry enough water with you. I had three litres in the camel back and had a drink stop at the oval and I had enough water for the full 50km.
As MTB_KAT said, it would be good to have more water stations along the track to help those less experienced riders who aren't too sure on how much water to bring, for example, the BMC 50km last year, that had ample amount of water/food stations that were well stocked. The one at the half way point in the OO only had water (correct me if I'm wrong) and you had to rely on tables and eski's that you had to set up your self before the race, which you have to go and find while riding, unlike a proper water/food station.
Also, a sweeper rider like in the Rockshoxs Golden Triangle Epic would have been good. I suggest this after a rider had difficulties out on Casper Black.

felix

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Thanks, thats the closest snake I could find to the one I saw, I didn't stand there staring at it but it didn't seem to have any colouring around the mouth, most probably that one though as I don't think we have green tree snakes here either.
Unless is was absolutely bright green, it was most likely a tiger snake.

Don't be fooled by the "but its not brown with yellow stripes."

I've passed them on several trails and one on Yo Yo was a dark green with some dark brown.

They are supposed to blend into the local environment, which they do very well.

The eaisest way to tell, not that you want to wait to find out, is by shape and movement

Roland

CJA510

Squid
As MTB_KAT said, it would be good to have more water stations along the track to help those less experienced riders who aren't too sure on how much water to bring, for example, the BMC 50km last year, that had ample amount of water/food stations that were well stocked. The one at the half way point in the OO only had water (correct me if I'm wrong) and you had to rely on tables and eski's that you had to set up your self before the race, which you have to go and find while riding, unlike a proper water/food station.
Also, a sweeper rider like in the Rockshoxs Golden Triangle Epic would have been good. I suggest this after a rider had difficulties out on Casper Black.

felix
+1 to running out of water/fluids.

About 7km to go if I recall correctly at which point I was pretty spent after cramping through 30-40km and intermittently for the rest (and many others in the latter half of the 5 hour bracket). Part of the problem on the volume was how long it took to complete the second half (way more than the first for me). Obviously the heat was a big factor with fluid loss.

The last 10km felt long because a) it was - over 12km according to my computer from the 40km marker. Or was it just mine? and b) Casper Black was not a very nice thing to include at the very end (plenty were cursing it)...

Anyway, made it, but pretty stuffed and a bit dehydrated by the end - 5 minutes slower than 2009. Was it tougher? I think so.

Thanks to all the officials and congrats to those who finished, particularly those in the 100.

Cheers,
Cam

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
According to my polar HRM, I burnt 5700cal at 156bpm ave over 6:27. Which is almost exactly what I calculated based on a estimate of 900cal per hour.

Check out Jason English's blog page also, he linked to his garmin data which shows the HR data in graph form, I think he did 5500cal in his 4:50 obviously at a much higher ave HR

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Yeah, the Garmin 'guess' underestimates your effort on the MTB and over estimates it on the road. Quite annoying... but of course pairing with a powertap etc is the way to go (although even that has some limitations as it only measures 'work' and ignores the physical effort required to generate that effort - 200W when you're relatively fresh in 20'c is less calories burnt than 200W after 5hours in 30' heat)
Huh?
Because a human is only ~ 25% efficent 1w=1kj this doesn't change whether you are fresh or not.
To argue otherwise is to ignore basic physiology....
That feeling after 5hrs is the fact that you have chewed up a large % of your gylcogen stores and have fatigued muscles.

The Bear

Mark S

Likes Dirt
Well, that's my first and last 100km MTB race. I guess my time of 10:31 will be the slowest of all forumites, but I'm still proud to have completed it. I learnt that a daily commute, round trip of 40km, will not get you through 100km without a lot of pain. No problems, I will stick to 50km races in the future.

Well done to Rapid Ascent, I thought it was brilliantly organised. There was not one point where I hesitated regarding the correct way to go.

I must admit though, I also wasn't too pleased with the Ayup Loop. After the beautiful tracks such as Follow The Dog and Red Carpet, the last 13km was very loose and by then I'd lost all concentration and fell regularly.

I also thank Rapid Ascent for keeping the timing going to the end. Even though the display was gone, my time was still registered. The last finisher was #695 and I was pretty disappoined at my fnish (only a dozen or so higher), but then I calculated 313 DNFs which made me feel a whole lot better (obviously, quite a few didn't start at all).

fergo

Likes Dirt
+1 to running out of water/fluids.

The last 10km felt long because a) it was - over 12km according to my computer from the 40km marker. Or was it just mine? and b) Casper Black was not a very nice thing to include at the very end (plenty were cursing it)...

Anyway, made it, but pretty stuffed and a bit dehydrated by the end - 5 minutes slower than 2009. Was it tougher? I think so.

Cheers,
Cam
I agree on the Shorty distance. 40km sign was 38km mark on my GPS. PRevious years was 10km downhill - Red Carpet etc and made for a fun final 10km. This year, Casper Black was very tough. Going on the halfway time split and the final time, I passed 40 riders in the second half of the race who were ahead of me at the transition. Most of them were on Casper Black and the second half of Vista. Most were walking or "surviving" to the end either mentally shot or dehydrated. Only 5 passed me

Noone said the Otway Odyssey is the easy race of the year. I definitely was challenged and also believe this year was harder than last years. My time was only 10 minutes slower.

My garmin calculated 3998cal for the 50km with 100kg rider, average heart rate 165, max 191.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Huh?
Because a human is only ~ 25% efficent 1w=1kj this doesn't change whether you are fresh or not.
To argue otherwise is to ignore basic physiology....
That feeling after 5hrs is the fact that you have chewed up a large % of your gylcogen stores and have fatigued muscles.

The Bear
At the risk of hijacking...

Agree with the basic point and all I really track is calories burnt (so if my powertap says I did 2000 kj of work then I write down 2000 cal - stuff about this is on the powertap site). But, prolonged exercise does mean that you get a bit of cardiac drift going on so are breathing harder and generally becoming less efficient... of you have fatigued muscles and are still churning out 300W on a climb... something somewhere is working hard.

Anyway, my general point was although a powertap will tell you exactly how much calories of work you did over a race based on the power it recorded... this may not be the same as the amount of calories you used cause the powertap only measures whats coming through the pedals, not the general amount of fatigue etc thats happening to the rest of your body... although if you went and got a test done to determine your efficiency (something like a VO2 max for instance) it would probably get closer...

kerno

Likes Bikes
Great event, even though it was bloody tough. Walking up steep fire trails ain't the best way to spend a weekend, but ripping down them is. I did the 50k Shorty, and like others struggled a little with hydration. It was a hot and dusty day out there. Would have liked to have seen some food at the water station, like jellies or something like that, it's not much but it helps with the motivation to keep on going. The single track was good, albeit slow, in the second 25. like most i would have loved to have seen some more of the famed flowing single track action that Forrest is famous for. Still all in all it's always a great event and well run. Congrats to the organisers and all the made the finish.

Cheers