2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Based on most recent info, my understanding is
a) we can run our own heater provided it is 1m away, door open, etc YES
b) we can run our own heater in our own tents provided above YES
Do we have the fire rating of the hired marquee/tents on offer?
The Marquee hiring company confirms they meet the AS1530.3

Can we run our own equipment in our tents if we have power?
Technically, yes, but if you have your own tent in the pit row you cannot connect into the Stromlo mains power and there are no generators allowed for the world solo pit row. That leaves a battery and an inverter, which you are allowed to have, but it must be ELB or RCD protected.

rangie

Likes Dirt
Fab.

Thanks Russ, thats awesome !

This will save a lot of folks a motza and in the event its cold, keep a few warm as well :)

Its official, Solo Worlds/Scott24 is go go go

rangie

Likes Dirt
Other items

Given the relaxing of regs, is it feasible for the organisers to now provide
1. 240v power, l
2. tables
3. chairs
4. gas heaters, bottles
5. lights

the rationale being, now that the marquee used does not appear to be an issue with running heaters etc as above., it need not be linked to rental.

i suspect this will bring the rental company some money they otherwise would not get given the high cost of marquees locking out many folks. this will obviously depend on pricing being competitive...for example a few $$ gets tables, chairs and $60 or so appears to get a heater with large bottle etc.

just another random thought from the house of muck, ok bck to work...

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Given the relaxing of regs, is it feasible for the organisers to now provide
1. 240v power
Perhaps see:

Technically, yes, but if you have your own tent in the pit row you cannot connect into the Stromlo mains power and there are no generators allowed for the world solo pit row. That leaves a battery and an inverter, which you are allowed to have, but it must be ELB or RCD protected.
Cheers
Spoonie

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
So looking forward to this years champs. Will be so much easier to get there... sooooo much cheaper, and I've no doubt will be at least as well run!
Last years effort cost us I think about $7k+ in total... that's not including the spending sprees on that liquid cheese! Liquid Cheese... Argggghhhhhh!

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
I concur Norm, bring on the fast flowing Aussie trails, the venue in our backyard (I can literally see it from my house as I type this, does it get any easier than that!) and 300 of our finest Aussie mates (with 2000 more mates in the teams area), and this will be the best Worlds yet, can't wait!

Last year I got in one practice lap, the day before the race, so I am looking forward to plenty of practice laps over the next 12 weekends, talk about spoilt :)

rangie

Likes Dirt
Perhaps see:
Cheers
Spoonie
IMHO this is no longer relevant given the revised info. There is nothing I can see stopping corc/organisers renting this capability as well as the other items.

One would assume its much better for as much of the equiment to come from the organisers for both logistics, cost, safety control etc.

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
Merida 24 / CSC / Wallace / Team Canada

Hello Australia...

1) Good Luck to all those participating at the Last Australian Qualifier Merida 24. http://www.tailwindpromotions.com.au/index.html

2) Good luck as well to all the solo riders participating at the Canadian Solo Championships in Canmore this coming weekend. #wsc24

3) Cory Wallace (4th @ WSC 2008 - top Canadian) looked very strong this weekend at the Canadian XC Championships, 7th overall.

4) Team Canada http://teamcanada24.blogspot.com

Cheers

jt_vic

Likes Bikes
So looking forward to this years champs. Will be so much easier to get there... sooooo much cheaper, and I've no doubt will be at least as well run!
Last years effort cost us I think about $7k+ in total... that's not including the spending sprees on that liquid cheese! Liquid Cheese... Argggghhhhhh!
Yeah, but you had a good time taking the Canadians for a ride (no pun intended); referring to your jibes about the Canadian Rockies.

UKmatt

Likes Bikes
darkness hours?

Is anyone able to give me an idea of how much darkness there will be and a rough idea of when lights become mandatory?

In the UK it tends to be roughly 1hr prior to official sunset time, but changes depending on weather conditions and light levels.

Need to know how many lights/batteries will be required.

Smiker

Likes Dirt
Matt,

It's pretty much as you would expect, lights become mandatory when heading out on a lap about an hour before sunset. Normally this will have you doing a lap where you don't think you'll need the light.

Sunrise at that time of year is about 5 - 5:30am. Probably the biggest thing for stromlo to consider is dust (rain dependant of course) and cold. At that time of year, we've had snow, -8deg overnight, but roasting in the day. Canberra is at about 800m, and it gets big temp variations.

Smiker

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Info for International Riders

Is anyone able to give me an idea of how much darkness there will be and a rough idea of when lights become mandatory? In the UK it tends to be roughly 1hr prior to official sunset time, but changes depending on weather conditions and light levels.

Need to know how many lights/batteries will be required.
Matt,

We will be making it mandatory to have lights fitted to your bike for those starting a lap from about 2 hours prior to sunset. While this seems a bit long, we need to allow for a rider who gets into trouble on the course and takes a long time to complete that lap. There will be two times announced in the race brief; one from when you must have lights fitted, and one from which you must have them switched on. Of course, you can fit/use them earlier if you wish.

I was talking with some of the international riders last weekend in Canada. There is already a section on hints for international riders on the link from the CORC website, but after some questions I got last weekend I will be adding some more info in the next few days, specifically:

Lights

For those of you used to competing in northern latitudes in your summer, you only have about 5 or 6 hours of darkness in some of your races. You need to be prepared for up to 12 hours of darkness during the world champs in Australia. You will be required to have lights fitted to your bike up to 2 hours prior to sunset to allow for a mechanical which might make your lap a long one.

Temperature

Be prepared for cold weather at night. It may get down to freezing in the very early morning.

Quarantine

Australia has strict quarantine laws. When you arrive in Australia, make sure that your bike is clean and that all mud, dirt and especially grass seeds have been removed. You will also need to have cleaned your bike tires very well before departing form your home country. Make sure to remember to clean the soles and cleats of your bike shoes too.

Driving from Sydney Airport to Canberra

A document is available to guide you through this 3 hour drive, for those riders who plan on staying in Sydney for a few days, or hiring their car/van in Sydney and driving to Canberra.

I have attached the Sydney to Canberra driving guide,

View attachment Road Directions Syd_Cbr_small.pdf

plus it is also available near the front of this information album, as 4 separate "photos" (photos 3 to 6).

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Sunrise / sunset times for the 'bra during the worlds.

Date Sunrise Sunset Sunshine This day Difference Time Altitude Distance
9 Oct 2010 6:30 AM 7:13 PM 12h 43m 11s + 2m 12s 12:51 PM 60.9° 149.446
10 Oct 2010 6:28 AM 7:14 PM 12h 45m 23s + 2m 11s 12:51 PM 61.3° 149.402

Thanks for all the additional information Russ and ebuk. Good thing I like riding in the dark.

With regards to entering Australia with bike gear, should we be expecting any issues if we bring energy/electrolyte drink mix?

Thanks,
Solo Steve

*rach*

Likes Bikes
With regards to entering Australia with bike gear, should we be expecting any issues if we bring energy/electrolyte drink mix?

Thanks,
Solo Steve
Probably depends what is in it...

I bought about 4.5kgs of eload back from canmore last year (it's hard to get here!!).
Not a guarantee, but I had no problems.