2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
As the elite riders were nearly all up one end of pit row, may be a small grandstand or viewing mound at that end of the pits to allow spectators to look down the pit row and watch it unfold?
Idea, set up a "spectator alley" so people can watch the elite boys and girls pit from behind a baricade so they wont get in the way of racers. I think this would be huge boost for riders as they would be cheered on by their fans as the come through pits.
The top riders were all pretty much in the top-left of the Dyna Sys World Solo Pit Row, and spectators could look down into that area from the elevated mound near the DH finish area, and see straight down the main rows. Apart form 1800 to 2100 on Saturday, the tent up there was also available so you could look down in comfort too. This was briefed on the PA system at the event (I know, because I did it).

Not being able to hear the announcements or commentary in the pits was both a disappointment and a god send, not sure what the answer is on that one.
We thought we had the answer :) This from the Event website ... Radio. The Scott 24hr will have its own 99.5 fm radio station which will broadcast the race commentary. This will be broadcast live from Stromlo Forest Park with all the excitement of the Scott 24hr including frequent up-dates on the racing events. So make sure that you bring a radio and tune in to hear all the action whilst on site!

The whole purpose of this was so that you have your own PA System commentary anywhere in the pits (anywhere in Canberra, really) - whether it was your own Ghetto Blaster, or an iPod receving FM.

Last edited:

ebuk

Likes Dirt
The only thing I was surprised at was no toilets in the dyna-sys pit row and no second coffee van for the morning rush. Actually only having the 3 food vendors was disappointing.

Other than that kudos to all involved, especially the Race Director for being a very relaxed guy.

Raf

Likes Dirt
My pit crew tells me that at 4am there was a run off coffee cups issued with unglued bottoms to punters and they witnessed 3 cups of coffee pour out on the ground much to the surprise of the poor customers holding a now empty cup of nothing and warm shoes.

They said they pissed themselves laughing for about 45 minutes and couldnt stop laughing the whole time I was in transition. Whatever keeps them awake. ;)

Raf

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
A big thanks to QeeZee and Ebuk for the provision of visual stimulation that got me through a very low 4 hour period on the first afternoon/evening.
This one was for you boys :)

mous

Squid
Thanks Russ... it's interesting that unless a rider completed something close to 24 hours... then their "gap to leader" doesn't actually make sense. Well at least that's the way it appears to me.
Hi Norm, it can look a bit odd, let me see if I can explain. The gap depends on how many laps they've completed. Taking the top 2 Elite Women, they've both completed 20 laps, so it's the time gap at the finish- the gap Katrin needed to make up, to catch Jess.

However if they finished on a different number of laps, such as Jess & Erin (5th), we don't have a 20th lap to compare. So, we look at the total time at the end of the last lap they both completed- in this case the 19th lap- and take that gap- being the amount of time Erin needed to make up to catch Jess on the 19th lap, then assuming Erin would have maintained the same position on the 20th lap.

We're always open to other ways of presenting information to make it more useful for riders & their crew, both the way we calc gaps, as well as other info which might be useful.
Rgds, +Mark

Larabeemax

Likes Bikes
Interesting stories for the next Enduro Magazine from Worlds

Hi guys -

I am helping Enduro put together a follow up article on the Worlds. There will be a race report of course, but I am interested in hearing from people about the quirky little stories that happened inside the race. Stories like the guy who got off his bike and went over to the play the bagpipes are in the spirit of what we're after, as well as:
- Acts of bravery that you witnessed out there (the woman walking bike for 11kms was one)
- The acts of sacrifice (people who went way above call to help others who crashed, mechanicals, having bad patch)
- Funny moments or comments
- Anything else colourful that tells a story about the race that people might appreciate

I can't promise all stories will make the mag but would really appreciate it if people could PM me (and identify yourself if possible) with these anecdotes.

Thanks a lot -

zed42

Likes Bikes
Hi Norm, it can look a bit odd, let me see if I can explain. The gap depends on how many laps they've completed. Taking the top 2 Elite Women, they've both completed 20 laps, so it's the time gap at the finish- the gap Katrin needed to make up, to catch Jess.

However if they finished on a different number of laps, such as Jess & Erin (5th), we don't have a 20th lap to compare. So, we look at the total time at the end of the last lap they both completed- in this case the 19th lap- and take that gap- being the amount of time Erin needed to make up to catch Jess on the 19th lap, then assuming Erin would have maintained the same position on the 20th lap.

We're always open to other ways of presenting information to make it more useful for riders & their crew, both the way we calc gaps, as well as other info which might be useful.
Rgds, +Mark
Hi Mark,

Would it be very difficult to do a breakdown of just the men's overall and just the women's overall?

Cheers

mous

Squid
Hi Mark,

Would it be very difficult to do a breakdown of just the men's overall and just the women's overall?

Cheers
Shouldn't be, depends what you're after in the breakdown. Perhaps send me a private message with what you're thinking of in the breakdown & I'll post the result back here.

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Climbing per lap

Did anyone get an accurate measure of the amount of climbing per lap? My legs are killing me!
And a huge congratulations to all who competed and achieved their goals, whether it be to win the World Championship, get on the podium, or simply participate, you are all champions to me!
My setting lap that was used to make all the maps gave a total of 502m per lap, though I've seen some fairly significant +/- variations on that!

Cheers!
Mullet

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
yeah how cool were those people camped by the side of the road at the top of the mountain - clearly not race volunteers, but pumping out some good tunes and that women in the middle of the trees on the hill side clapping everyone on in the wee small hours of the night - must have frozen her a*s off...
The team camped up near the water tank were from Victoria apparently. They approached ANU with references and the ANU Security people ok'd them. All this I found out on Monday while handing back our gate passes. Pretty cool to see someone so organised! :D

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
I am sorry and know I am going to hurt a LOT of peoples feelings here but NO.
So many poorly organised things happened in the lead up and throughout this event but I wont list them all.
meh. We know, as do those I swore at about them (angry Mullet s'not a pretty Mullet). They will be addressed and hopefully not an issue for the next event.

Sumgy, I would appreciate you PM'ing your concerns to me, I reckon we would have matching lists come debrief time...

Cheers!
Mullet

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
meh. We know, as do those I swore at about them (angry Mullet s'not a pretty Mullet). They will be addressed and hopefully not an issue for the next event.

Sumgy, I would appreciate you PM'ing your concerns to me, I reckon we would have matching lists come debrief time...

Cheers!
Mullet
Wow.
Did not expect this response.
PM on the way.