2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wassa
There is one thing I am starting to think you are and it has nothing to do with cycling.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
No problems guys, it is something that we became aware of mid Saturday as the initial orders started coming through... so far the only way I can see to deal with it is to get you to order as many copies as you like and then I will refund the appropriate amount for P&H to your account... Wont be huge though as the main part of the P&H is the handling and is actually 'handled' elsewhere and they pass this cost onto us on a per unit basis... I will speak to these guys tomorrow and see how we can perhaps change this

I will sort out and get the purchasers of multiple copies their P&H refund as soon as things settle down here at OzDirtCast central HQ (ie. the nook between the kitchen and the loungeroom). For the moment, thank you to all who have purchased the DVD and supported this fledgling venture. I invite you all to share your comments through the feedback form on the website (www.ozdirtcast.com) so I can deal quickly and efficiently with any problems so they affect as few as possible in the future.

Did you all see the footage on Cycling Central today?
The SBS footage looked great, can't wait for my copy of the DVD to arrive. As much as I wanted to be racing against Troy it has been a fantastic asset to you guys to have him floating around the track and being able to ride behind all the solo riders is a true blessing and the footage that he came back with would not have been possible with just your average bike rider!!

quiggs

WildWassa

Banned
Wassa
There is one thing I am starting to think you are and it has nothing to do with cycling.
Mate, I went through the last Iraq invasion as a war detracting and prolific anti-Gulf War posting Forumite on several of the pro US military sites. Please do your worst.

When it comes to your opinion Smugy, I fully agree with your lame-assed attempt at my humiliation and ... I'm sure that I am what ever you feel that I am. I'm still not a Roadie though ... nor do I commute to work on cycle paths and then post on MTB sites.

Warren.

Last edited:

WildWassa

Banned
Neon, ganging up, similar to what you have now jumped onto, nor attempted humiliation, by slight or badly chosen words, doesn't worry me one iota ... now matter how brave a soul.

Now do you get it?

Warren.

Last edited:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wassa
Nobody ganged up on you.
You misread what was said from 3 seperate people and then decided to try and make out you were joking.
Then you stuck your chest out and made some lame assed comment about how you have posted on some completely irrelevant US war BS site.
I have nfi who you are but the way you post comes across more like you are the bully from some Wiggles fan site.
Grow up.
We are all cyclists here.
I dont give a rats arse whether guys here are roadies, commuters, XC racers, DH's, BMX'ers, DJ'ers or tricyclists. I still would not treat them like you have treated people here.

Again.
Grow up.

longxc

Likes Bikes
I wish someone would post a photo of some rough terrain...all I see is super smooth...and only tails of rough;)
The chances of a pic of rough stuff are low considering 95% or the course was on green trails, if you look here at the coloured coded map of the trails the only blue runs were pork barrel and roller coaster(the bit that links echidna gap to skyline).

I don't remember seeing any photographers on pork barrel except up at the rock roll over at the top of it.

P.S - I commute to work :p

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The chances of a pic of rough stuff are low considering 95% or the course was on green trails, if you look here at the coloured coded map of the trails the only blue runs were pork barrel and roller coaster(the bit that links echidna gap to skyline).

I don't remember seeing any photographers on pork barrel except up at the rock roll over at the top of it.

P.S - I commute to work :p
That can't be right, 30% of the track isnt marked on the Stromlo maps - those rocky firetrails/ random stretches of baby head sized rocks across the dark side of the mountain were plenty bumby enough for me anyway!

Now picture what we'd all look like if luge wasnt smooth!

zed42

Likes Bikes
None of that firetrail was anywhere near as technical as something like Pork Barrel though. A bit of a slog up the hills yes, but not technical.

Last edited:

Win

Likes Dirt
Too many photographers have NFI
Some do get out there to where the real action is and that's what people want to see, show the folks back home....look at what I had to ride over for 24hr

Beechie

Banned
Rough

Easier to try and think where it wasn't rough IMO. The real effort over 24 hours is how much standing on the pedals was necessary on what should have been a rest down hill. And how short time wise the skyline and luge are. Time flies when you are having fun.
From my 24 hour experiences and in speaking to a few far better riders than myself all said the course was brutal. It took my riding to a higher level and will make future 24 hours seem a hellava lot easier.
It was fabulous, fantastic, fun. My life would be much poorer if I had not ridden this event.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lots of bla, bla in the last posts.
Can a photo capture 24 hours of rocks, easy but energy sucking climbs, fast decents with huge grin factor but increasing braking bumps that hurt more every lap despite the grin and then another lap and another.....
24 hour racing can't be captured in a photo, although the pic of Jess dusty faced, cracked lipped but with an inner satisfaction of a living a dream is as close as you can get.
If you rode it, you know. If not..................

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Too many photographers have NFI
Some do get out there to where the real action is and that's what people want to see, show the folks back home....look at what I had to ride over for 24hr
Too right!! there was a guy in the middle of the night taking photot over that A-line roll over on the back of the hill, with his flash set up to go off in your face when you were half way down the rock face! i gave him a few choice words about how it was a real good idea....

WildWassa

Banned
Dude, nobody cares!!

Go dribble your rubbish somewhere else.
outtacontrol, thank you.

Some of you guys will know of the rider who was injured on Pork Barrel and saw him on the ground? Late Saturday afternoon. Several of you asked me to go and find him and give him a hand, because he was in a bad way, initially.

I was the photographer that located him as he was making his way to the firetrail above O'Malley's Dam. Then helped him firstly to the closest aid station at Concrete Pipes aka Party Line. Then helped with the first aid when a young course first aider appeared to not have a clue how to deal with the level of injuries even basically, or had even opened a medical kit in anger until then it appeared. I gave advice and helped to render the first aid and then gave the assessment of the injury to the medical staff at the Hub relayed over the radio at Concrete Pipes ... I'm sure that the injured rider and other from his team will attest to this level of dribble.

Then when a vehicle was unable to be located to ferry him to the Med Station at the Hub, from Concrete Pipes ... the injured rider asked me to accompany him off the hill back to the Hub. At one stage immediately after the crash, he said that he thought that he was going to black out. Being accompanied back to the Hub was a wise move, during a bad situation. He should have had a vehicle sent to him. A vehicle had been requested a few times ... when a vehicle couldn't be located, there was no other option except to ride back. Rolling down hill on the horse trail alongside Urriarra Road, made the ride easier once we had cleared the Scott Team 24 traffic.

I also gave the injured rider my warm gear to wear back to the Hub, to avoid any chance of furthering the instance of shock.

I dribble my stuff everywhere ... even at Pork Barrel.

A bit of detail from the Pork Barrel Track.

... and don't under estimate the firetrails out on the western slopes. They were bone shakers, in parts. For the hardtail riders the firetrails would have compounded the other features and jarred ankles and feet. By 5.30pm many of the riders were off their bikes and walking parts of the fire trails.

On the WS24 course map it showed the lower parts of the double black diamond track of Slick Rock being used. A part of the course I didn't get to, so I'm not exactly sure what section of track was used there, otherwise I'd post a photo of the section.

Detail from Slick Rock. Slick Rock is an interesting but nasty track.

Warren.

Last edited:

zed42

Likes Bikes
... and don't under estimate the firetrails out on the western slopes. They were bone shakers, in parts. For the hardtail riders the firetrails would have compounded the other features and jarred ankles and feet. By 5.30pm many of the riders were off their bikes and walking parts of the fire trails.
I could hardly be underestimating those firetrails, given that I was actually riding them... on a hardtail. All the people I saw walking were singlespeeders (myself included) who didn't want to ride *up* the hill.

On the WS24 course map it showed the lower parts of the double black diamond track of Slick Rock being used. A part of the course I didn't get to, so I'm not exactly sure what section of track was used there, otherwise I'd post a photo of the section.
Slick Rock is a green track. You might be thinking of Blood Rock, which starts at the bottom of Slick Rock but wasn't used in the WS24.

WildWassa

Banned
You forgot the violins. :)
A predictable show of non-empathy for the injured bloke.

Slick Rock is a green track. You might be thinking of Blood Rock, which starts at the bottom of Slick Rock but wasn't used in the WS24.
zed42, G'day. I see two black diamonds not a green circle on the sign, has the track difficulty been regraded, recently.

CORC used to have on their site, a fantastic hand drawn coloured trail map with all the features named. I try to remember the features as they were named and located on that map, taking into account the relatively recent track changes. I now remember Blood Rock below Slick Rock, thanks. Thinking back to the old map Blood Rock was drawn in red. I wish I still had a copy of that old map. If anyone still has a copy of the old CORC map, I'd really appreciate a copy.

With the installation of the blue signposts just prior to the 2009 World MTB and Observed Trials Championships ... some of the old features have faded with my memory. I used to remember Roxi's as being Rocky's? ... or was there a gender change that I missed.

Warren.

Last edited: