2010 You Yangs - Yowie entries opens today 33km 66km 99km- SAT Oct 2nd 2010

trav

Likes Dirt
Is the course going to change much considering all the track closures around the Stockyards??
Most likely,the Boulder Track will be closed that weekend in preperation for the national round in November that MTBA are hosting.

akashra

Eats Squid
Since the womens road race only uses the circuit within Geelong, and doesn't follow the long route from Melbourne, are there any traffic issues we should be aware of on the Saturday to ensure we all get to the You Yangs on time?

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Since the womens road race only uses the circuit within Geelong, and doesn't follow the long route from Melbourne, are there any traffic issues we should be aware of on the Saturday to ensure we all get to the You Yangs on time?
Bit premature there Tim! ;)

There's a certain Grand Final replay you'll have to contend with

Roland

tyler07

Squid
Just a guess here, but they may continue on the fire road past Boulder and turn left onto Trav's! Shall make for a good climb up to Trav's.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
pretty much as per instructions

any news on where the track will be going this year? want to make sure I have practiced the right parts :)
Looks like the track will be as per the directions earlier in this post except for a slight detour around Boulder.
And Also do you know the log jump at the end of the chainsaw track? Instead of following chainsaw to the junction of plantation track, make a hard left onto the fire road straight after the log jump. Continue up the fire road and take the 2nd fire road on the right. This then meets up with the plantation track turn right and follow it down to the junction of chainsaw and plantation turn left onto plantation and continue on as per instructions.

ps Disclaimer : the race crew reserves the right to make changes etc the above instructions are not set in stone.

Awesome effort on the weekend to get the youies in tip top shape. thanks to all that put in.
Gmbc had over 30 trail crew working at Kurrajongs on the trails, Trav had another 10 guys in his Youies crew working with heavy machines on Boulder and Parks were there with tools,utes, advise and manpower. Friends of the you yang's walking group were also doing tree planting. Well over 40 crew putting back into the youies mtb trails plus the friends group tree planting etc.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
online entries close WED this week

there will be entries on the day however there will be an additional fee.
therefore enter before WED and SAVE!!!!

Stons

Likes Dirt
Will there be a map posted prior to the race on Saturday?

If Boulder is out... I would assume it could go down track 3 (just after the clam) around track 2 towards the carpark across the quarry then on to track 6 for the ascent up to Trav's. Just my guess.

akashra

Eats Squid
Still haven't decided if I want to do the Yowie this year. The entire sole deciding factor for me is the inclusion of Travs Diamond - I just have no interest in attempting/risking riding it a few weeks before an event I want to do well at :( Guess I'll be leaving any decision until the very last second on Wednesday night, but right now 150km around local trails is looking more likely - but I'd happily do 100km around Kurrajong right about now :)

riderideride

Likes Dirt
Still haven't decided if I want to do the Yowie this year. The entire sole deciding factor for me is the inclusion of Travs Diamond - I just have no interest in attempting/risking riding it a few weeks before an event I want to do well at :( Guess I'll be leaving any decision until the very last second on Wednesday night, but right now 150km around local trails is looking more likely - but I'd happily do 100km around Kurrajong right about now :)

But you know there is nothing wrong with walking the parts you cant ride. I find each time the number of 'walking' parts gets less and less. Its a fun race :)

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
I struggle with Travs as well, having only ridden the You Yangs twice (too far from the Yarra Valley). I think it would be a better race without it, and probably attract more entrants.

Having said that, I'm still looking forward to the race. So I'll walk a couple of parts, which I don't think will really make much difference to my overall result, but at least it gets me out and forces me out of my comfort zone. And it should help prepare for the Dirtworks 100.

kwm00re

Likes Bikes
Trav's is Rad.
It's not a DH track with big gaps/drops, it's a fun little XC track which happens to be steep. It'll be the highlight of every lap for me.

Last edited:

Stons

Likes Dirt
I agree... I'm able to get down it no problems on a hardtail... I find I just have to concentrate particularly hard and I'm ok. I think the challenge will be on the 2nd lap when more fatigued and much more liklely to make a mistake or two.

at the drive in

Likes Dirt
Travs is a great peice of track and well and truly deserves a place in the yowie, everything can be rolled at a very slow pace.

Your skills wont improve if you avoid riding tracks like travs.

matt462

Likes Dirt
I love Travs aswell.
Nothing to scary there and this is a MTB event you gotta have some parts of the track that test out the roadies.

Matt

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
Please ride to your ability

Hi there mtbers.

You are never going to please everyone when setting a track. The Yowie Challenge is just that a Challenge!
Riding either one, two or three laps will challenge even the best Mt bike riders and to finish the whole race will be real achievement.
It is not the run of the mill fire road race packaged up as a Mt Bike race.
The Yowie Challenge is designed to challenge Mt. Bike Riders. Those with good mt bike skills will be rewarded in the technical sections. However there is also a long section of gravel road so those roadie type riders will be rewarded on that section, there is also large sections of great flowing single track through the Kurrajongs area.
Our number one priority is to make it clear that if there is a section that is a bit beyond your ability then just jump off and walk that section, after all it is quicker to walk than fall off.
Please ride to your ability.
Please use common sense.
Please ride at a speed that suits your ability.
Please enjoy the race and finish in good health with a great feeling of achievement.
The Technical sections are as follows. descending Trav track. A small ascent of Trav,s through the Churn, The Ascent of Cressy . Descent of Junction track.

IF you are thinking about taking on the Yowie Challenge then get in quick. It's time to commit!
Online entries at ENTRYZONE will close this Wednesday at 5pm.
You can enter on the day but it will cost you up to $20 more (except for Kids & Mini Yowie events).
See the schedule for the day here, and remember if you are under 18yrs and you want to compete in the 99km race you need written consent from your parent/ guardian.
See you all there.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just work on those skills buddy and soon you'll be riding trav's like a pro, its super easy, you just need to flow with it!