2011 an Otway Odyssey

stu-2

Likes Dirt
great thread

this thread has got me interested in OO so much, i have set myself a goal of being there next year, have already booked a cabin, now just have to get fit enough, a hard 12 months for a 48 year old coming up. Keep the posts coming its all info i can use especially stuff from JessD

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm interested in what to expect in terms of climbing on Contingency "B". Are there still some hills? Not all flat is it?
I've ridden that Steve, it's a long gradual climb to KangLang rd, no upsy-downsy just moderately steep all the way, getting gradually flatter.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be swapping the lycra for a wetsuit at this rate.

Putting spare pads in the camelbak tonight....

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be swapping the lycra for a wetsuit at this rate.

Putting spare pads in the camelbak tonight....
Riding in the wet with brakes that work is cheating... :)

Good idea though. I went through a set of Hope pads in 2 laps @ the CTS 3.

Has there actually been any rain yet? Looking at the BOM Observations, Cape Otway has recorded no rain fall, however this weather station is not exactly close to the course, and I heard there was a thunderstorm there last night!

I'm still agonising over running my 2.25 Racing Ralphs or switching to Nobby Nics..... Memories of the Capital Punishment are still fresh in my mind, so I may stick the Nics on.

Does switching to the wet weather course options mean less aggressive tread is required?

Thanks to everyone who's added valuable info to this thread. It's been useful for us interstaters.

Last edited:

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
I'm interested in what to expect in terms of climbing on Contingency "B". Are there still some hills? Not all flat is it?
Climbing will be less brutal. You still climb most of the way out of No.1 Spur, and then the roller coaster ride down Kaangalang Road to the top of Noonday. The difference is you don't have to make up the extra 131m elevation loss by going down Noonday.

You then rejoin the original course into the quarry through "Alice in Wonderland"

Roland

Last edited:

btothec

Likes Dirt
This is what the weather looks like on the GOR at the moment.

Photo was taken by a friend that is on there way to Apollo Bay. They said it's not raining at the moment but might bot be that far off.

At home (Colac) we've had a little bit of rain over the last 30 min but not a great deal.

According to Jess it's still quite hot & humid in Forrest but still no rain at all.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Need advice from the locals, currently have a racing ralph 2.4 up front and a 2.0 small block rear in 29 inche. I know the small block in going to be useless, off the top of my head I think the LBS only has nevegals in stock in 29 for something more aggressive how will these go over the course??????
Just my opinion only.

If they divert both section A and B, SB8's will be fine.

If section A remains the same it is completely down to luck which is better, although our 29er Nevegals weighed in at over 800g!

Roland

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
I am not questioning their ability to run an event or the changes they have made... The change was made due to wet weather (according to the website) and thats why I'm confused. If it is a weather issue, to send riders up a track that is already boggy/wet doesnt make a lot of sense to me thats all.

BTW Roland I really appreciate the contribution you have made to the thread, for a first time OO 100km rider its been very helpful and by no means am I trying to question/criticise you personally just trying to understand the decision a little better :)
No offence taken at all.

I am trying to be very careful with my words because I don't want any remarks I make to be seen as criticism of OO or Rapid Ascent.

I rode those exact sections of the course on Sunday afternoon and can fully understand the hesitation to put 1,000 riders through there.

I don't want to get into specifics other than to say I support the decision

The semantics of "is the cause weather related" are unimportant and shouldn't detract from this discussion.

Hope this helps

Roland

kv1973

Likes Dirt
Roland,

I am following this thread with great interest since I have only done the OO in the twice and can not say I know the area well. Like many, I'm pretty interested in the weather and what the revised section is like (noted that you said it was muddy and that it is a gradual climb). Is this just a fire road? How wide is it. Your local knowledge is required :)??

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Roland,

I am following this thread with great interest since I have only done the OO in the twice and can not say I know the area well. Like many, I'm pretty interested in the weather and what the revised section is like (noted that you said it was muddy and that it is a gradual climb). Is this just a fire road? How wide is it. Your local knowledge is required :)??
Six lane highway at present!

Very recent clay cap put on top - hence the pic in a previous post

Roland

Hud

Likes Dirt
Roland's pic of the muddy tyre just reminded me that my Selma has poor mud clearance. So it tipped me over into realising that the SIR9 better clearance and a 1x9 setup and 100mm of squish up front is the go. :)
It can also take a mudguard and has an Ardent 2.25 up front and a new Ralph in the rear.
Smart move considering I am only 80% over a cold and well underprepared (fitness wise.)
I am actually deciding tomorrow if I am going to do the event.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Roland's pic of the muddy tyre just reminded me that my Selma has poor mud clearance. So it tipped me over into realising that the SIR9 better clearance and a 1x9 setup and 100mm of squish up front is the go. :)
It can also take a mudguard and has an Ardent 2.25 up front and a new Ralph in the rear.
Smart move considering I am only 80% over a cold and well underprepared (fitness wise.)
soft...very soft:p

singleminded

Likes Bikes
Hud, just ride it flat-out and this will clear the mud.......or you could just give it to me and I'll show you how its done!!;)

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
Like everyone else I'm stumped on tyre choice. I'm either going to risk it and go Crossmarks and hoping it's not too bad. I rode those during the muddy Otway a few years back and it wasn't fun but was possible. Other option is a Ignitor up front and then a Racing Ralph or Crossmark on the rear.

Anyone got an update on the weather down there? Much rain today?

Cheers

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
this thread has got me interested in OO so much, i have set myself a goal of being there next year, have already booked a cabin, now just have to get fit enough, a hard 12 months for a 48 year old coming up. Keep the posts coming its all info i can use especially stuff from JessD
Is it too early to start the 2012 Otway Odyssey thread?

fergo

Likes Dirt
Like everyone else I'm stumped on tyre choice. I'm either going to risk it and go Crossmarks and hoping it's not too bad. I rode those during the muddy Otway a few years back and it wasn't fun but was possible. Other option is a Ignitor up front and then a Racing Ralph or Crossmark on the rear.

Anyone got an update on the weather down there? Much rain today?

Cheers
Dont do crossmarks unless you want to slide everywhere - both up and down. I did the Jeep 24hr and squirmed my way up every climb and slid round every corner and shut my eyes and held on on the slippery descents (esp down to the rail trail on the night lap!!)

Having ridden in the Wombat State Forest over winter with muddy bogholes wider than the road and deeper than your hubs AND the 2008 Odyssey - the MUD One - I'd ride a mud tyre specificaly. The dusty loose top will absorb the 5-10mm of rain and turn sticky and fill your tyres. They should be good at shedding mud down hills and will only fill up at the bottom and ascent.

Even JessD is doing a mud strong nobby nic on the rear (see earlier post)