2011 an Otway Odyssey

fergo

Likes Dirt
Otway Shorty

Is it just me, or does the Otway Shorty seem to get easier every year?

I did the wet (2008) and dry(09) 50km races from Apollo Bay and they were tough. The joy was the Red Carpet all the way to the finish line. Then (2010) it was revamped to include more single track (no complaints) including Casper Black, which still made it mentally hard and some steep pinch hills at the start.

This year (after many complaints i guess) its a road climb to top of Red Carpet and then mostly single track to the end. Last years track was tough and worthy to be part of the toughest MTB race in australia, now it seems a single track cruise!!

Thoughts anyone?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it just me, or does the Otway Shorty seem to get easier every year?

I did the wet (2008) and dry(09) 50km races from Apollo Bay and they were tough. The joy was the Red Carpet all the way to the finish line. Then (2010) it was revamped to include more single track (no complaints) including Casper Black, which still made it mentally hard and some steep pinch hills at the start.

This year (after many complaints i guess) its a road climb to top of Red Carpet and then mostly single track to the end. Last years track was tough and worthy to be part of the toughest MTB race in australia, now it seems a single track cruise!!

Thoughts anyone?
It would seem that if one wants to be challenged, then they'd sign up for the 100km course.

I favor the 50 being easier and more about the singletrack. I think the race organisers are just responding to that kind of feedback.

Last edited:

Megahead

Likes Bikes
I didn't like the 50 last year - I found the first 25ks frustrating having to walk alot of the climbs mainly due to the amount of people who were also walking & the last section through the grass trees (Casper Black?) was just tedious. The only thing good about it when it was Apollo Bay to Forrest was the Red Carpet.
The course this year looks great & should be both fun and challenging. I'm looking forward to it.

bunchie34

Likes Dirt
Stayed at the park last year and while it was nice and relaxed, they basically put as many people as they could in the park. This meant there was still a line for the showers at 10pm. Recommend you have a shower at the football reserve first. Defiantely stay the Friday and Sat night and would recommend staying in Forrest, just so you dont have to worry, though Apollo Bay has more accomodation options
we camped in apollo bay last year, didn't have any dramas getting the shuttle back from forrest. guess it's just a roll of the dice if you have to wait or you get lucky!

think the best thing about staying in AB was being able to hit the beach and wade out in the icy waters to soothe the legs. got to be a plus that.

we found accomodation options in both forrest and AB filled quick, so if you're thinking about any place nice, get it booked!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how many mtb ks do people reckon they will be doing per week as part of a 12 week plan for Otway 100? I'm not talking elite level just the average rider.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how many mtb ks do people reckon they will be doing per week as part of a 12 week plan for Otway 100? I'm not talking elite level just the average rider.
2 * Strength / Core Sessions (Kettlebells etc)
1 * Long endurance ride: Building up to 4.5 - 5 hours
3 * Interval Training rides / Commute

So about 10 hrs per week give or take. MTB training is not about kms but rather T.I.T.S

bunchie34

Likes Dirt
2 * Strength / Core Sessions (Kettlebells etc)
1 * Long endurance ride: Building up to 4.5 - 5 hours
3 * Interval Training rides / Commute

So about 10 hrs per week give or take. MTB training is not about kms but rather T.I.T.S
Like many things in life, it all boils down to T.I.T.S.

evltoy

Likes Dirt
50km getting worse every year!

I so don’t understand.

2009 50km was a good challenge going from Applo Bay to Forrest. This was my first ever mtb event and I finished it and had no training. Then the promoters caved in to softc*$ks complaining it’s too hard!

2010 50km had a challenge to it for the first 20km. The last 20km of the route had no flow and was plain boring.

2011 50km. Where is the challenge if they make it softer? If they keep listening to whiners every year it’s going to end up being a flat road ride for the 50km.

100km is a little out of my range so 50km was a sweet distance, (still pushed me to my limits) but now it’s nothing to really talk about or remember.

Also what happen to the detailed timing the 50km had in 2009? 2010 felt like I was ripped off.. Paid extra but received far less.

It’s meant to be a hard a$$ event. Leave it that way or go home.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I so don’t understand.

2009 50km was a good challenge going from Applo Bay to Forrest. This was my first ever mtb event and I finished it and had no training. Then the promoters caved in to softc*$ks complaining it’s too hard!

2010 50km had a challenge to it for the first 20km. The last 20km of the route had no flow and was plain boring.

2011 50km. Where is the challenge if they make it softer? If they keep listening to whiners every year it’s going to end up being a flat road ride for the 50km.

100km is a little out of my range so 50km was a sweet distance, (still pushed me to my limits) but now it’s nothing to really talk about or remember.

Also what happen to the detailed timing the 50km had in 2009? 2010 felt like I was ripped off.. Paid extra but received far less.

It’s meant to be a hard a$$ event. Leave it that way or go home.
Just do the 100, you know you should.

evltoy

Likes Dirt
I would so love to but I dont even think I could do the 100km Woodend let alone this event.

I'm not a harda$$ yet.

They should have 100km/2 race where people can start with the 100k riders, but only do 50km to Forrest.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would so love to but I dont even think I could do the 100km Woodend let alone this event.

I'm not a harda$$ yet.

They should have 100km/2 race where people can start with the 100k riders, but only do 50km to Forrest.
They did that in the first year and people screamed in protest.

Last year 2 of my friends did the 100 without training. They took ages, and it hurt them but the point is that they finished.

The 100 hurts everyone from the first rider across the finish line to the last. JUST DO IT

evltoy

Likes Dirt
They did that in the first year and people screamed in protest.

Last year 2 of my friends did the 100 without training. They took ages, and it hurt them but the point is that they finished.

The 100 hurts everyone from the first rider across the finish line to the last. JUST DO IT
If the 100km hurts everyone.. why dont they make it easier like they do for the 50km each year?

My point being - stop making it easier and just get fitter and appreciate the 50km for what it is.

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the 100km hurts everyone.. why dont they make it easier like they do for the 50km each year?
Good question. IMHO:

The 50km is for enjoying the awesome trail network around Forrest. These days anyway. Like I mentioned the 50km used to be the 100km without any of the good stuff.

The 100km is about suffering and then bragging rights :)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah do the 100k, when you get to Forrest that's 67k done. Pull out for a beer? Or keep going, another 20k and you're back again, hmmm is that beer still cold - wasn't too bad going through Mariners Run? Now it's only 13k, ahhh might as well do it, who cares how long it takes. Going up that road on last 13k you can feel the mtb gods pushing you forward.

evltoy

Likes Dirt
Good question. IMHO:

The 50km is for enjoying the awesome trail network around Forrest. These days anyway. Like I mentioned the 50km used to be the 100km without any of the good stuff.

The 100km is about suffering and then bragging rights :)
Yes.. the 50km used to be half the 100km. And it was somehting to talk about. It was hard, but rewarding and to be proud of completing of all riders.

The whole OO was about Bragging rights weather you did the 50km or 100km.. but now its only for the 100ers

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes.. the 50km used to be half the 100km. And it was somehting to talk about. It was hard, but rewarding and to be proud of completing of all riders.

The whole OO was about Bragging rights weather you did the 50km or 100km.. but now its only for the 100ers
Fair point mate. I can understand.

Does that motivate you to try get through the 100?

evltoy

Likes Dirt
yeah do the 100k, when you get to Forrest that's 67k done. Pull out for a beer? Or keep going, another 20k and you're back again, hmmm is that beer still cold - wasn't too bad going through Mariners Run? Now it's only 13k, ahhh might as well do it, who cares how long it takes. Going up that road on last 13k you can feel the mtb gods pushing you forward.
that is really something to hear. Good on you for digging deep and completing it.

We cant say much for the 50km event. oh.. yes we can... we did a few hills.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Especially if you're naked - did you see the guy do the last 13 naked in 2009?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Especially if you're naked - did you see the guy do the last 13 naked in 2009?
I missed it.

I was hurting bad because of the cramps. Whilst in the pain cave I was also hypoglycaemic. I didn't eat a thing during the last 2 hours (thanks Shotz tablets for making me sick). In short I was an emotional mess.

The nude guy could have passed right next to me and I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

Last edited: