2011 an Otway Odyssey

HUTCHY77

Likes Bikes
stevob, I seen you heading down into sledgehammer. The Redline wasn't quick enough this year. Called out but you were in 3 man chain and moving well down the slick rutts. What a race..

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
stevob, I seen you heading down into sledgehammer. The Redline wasn't quick enough this year. Called out but you were in 3 man chain and moving well down the slick rutts. What a race..
Didn't hear you Hutchy, but that was awesome fun from the top of that hill. Must admit though, that I got off and walked the last steep and deep ruts before the bottom, but that was probably because the two riders in front slowed too much for me to get a clean line (well that's what I'm saying anyway :eek: ).

Mark S

Likes Dirt
Depends on the photo. I did many races before I saw one I liked in last year's Dirt Works - photos of myself and my son in the exact same spot (if you know what I mean).

I do like one from this year's OO and will probably purchase (actually seems cheaper than Dirt Works but my memory might be failing me).

Beej1

99 bucks? for 4 pics, 3 of which are crossing the finish...bargain
But wait ... there's more! Buy them individually at $18.95 (for a digital file) and you'll save a whopping $24 and change for your 4 photos, 3 of which are crossing the finish!

I'm sure when I bought some Sportograf photos one year from the Scott 24hr, they were much more competitively priced (and better).

Rambler

Likes Dirt
But wait ... there's more! Buy them individually at $18.95 (for a digital file) and you'll save a whopping $24 and change for your 4 photos, 3 of which are crossing the finish!

I'm sure when I bought some Sportograf photos one year from the Scott 24hr, they were much more competitively priced (and better).
Yep-sportograph photos were $34.95 for as many photos as was taken of you. Other photo businesses are a little more expensive than this although all are within sight of this mark. Loved the Otway event and would of liked something to remember that epic race. This photo price, however, is just a rip off. I don't see why anyone would buy at that price! Maybe one for $18.95.

Win

Likes Dirt
$10 and send them electronically to save the enviroment, people would go for that
At $18.95, you still have to get it printed:eek:

Beej1

They'd sell way more than 50% more I reckon at just under $10 a pop. That's the sliding scale I was envisaging in my head. It's like they've gone down the path of "We're not going to sell many, so just price them high enough so that the few we do sell cover the costs". Rather than "Price them competitively so that we sell heaps - with the possibility of potentially not covering costs if we don't sell heaps"

Having said that, by the looks of things the photographers were positioned in a grand total of roughly 10 places, so it doesn't offer a huge array of original shots. But then you only want the ones of yourself, so I guess it doesn't matter too much that every other rider has one in the same spot (Sportograf seemed to roam constantly over the 24hrs looking for unique places to get an action shot - some of the results looking like you belong on the cover of a magazine)

But as Rambler said, I'd like something to remember the race by (other than the average T-shirt and bag full of advertising). Will maybe buy a couple.

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
What are you going to do? If you want a momento then you gotta pony up the cash. I'm buying one as proof I was there and finished in a half decent time @ $18.95, it isn't cheap. Next time I'm bringing my own photographers - leave the kids overnight in the bush with some cameras??? On second though that might get me in trouble. Better leave them with some food too.
P

Rambler

Likes Dirt
What are you going to do? If you want a momento then you gotta pony up the cash. I'm buying one as proof I was there and finished in a half decent time @ $18.95, it isn't cheap. Next time I'm bringing my own photographers - leave the kids overnight in the bush with some cameras??? On second though that might get me in trouble. Better leave them with some food too.
P
I bet you pony photographers don't charge that much!

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
P
Gold!

The prices are steep but I dont think we are paying for the quality, we are paying for the Photog to have had to pick a posi in advance, get up waay earlier than any of us did and sit around in the bush all day snapping pictures of wannabe heros and then leaving later than any of us! (except for the finish line dude, easy gig).

So, next time you pass a photog in the middle of nowhere blinding you with his flash...give him a chuckle by stacking it in front of him.

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
don't mind paying for pictures, but all they are of me just riding - kinda boring, the woodend 100k picture I use for my avatar was just after a log jump, I launched the big wheeler off thinking will I crash it with a camera on me?

Camera guy yelled out, wow what a picture (probably said that to everyone), anyway I bought it.

mella060

Likes Dirt
$10 and send them electronically to save the enviroment, people would go for that
At $18.95, you still have to get it printed:eek:
Yes, in this day and age we really need to be doing our best to reduce our carbon footprint...

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm just wondering whether the red background on the number plates has anything to do with the lack of different shots. Maybe it made the numbers hard to read. In any case, I think last year that there was a link to the photog's website where we could browse them.

Anyone got a link for this year? I haven't seen one, but I'll try and dig up last year's.

edit: found the photos for this year, now browsing through approximately 8,000 photos to find little old me.:eek:

edit again: and after all that, none of me other than the finish line.:(

Last edited: