2011 census

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Should Australia Sever Ties With The Mother Country or Should Australia Begin Actively Shunning The Queen, Prince Philip and The Rest of The Incestuous Royal Family then I would participate.
I don't get that argument. at the moment we have a "boss" that lives on the other side of the world who basically leaves us alone to run the shop. Once every 15 years of so she or one of her minions pops over to say hi. we know she coming so we spruke the place up a bit to show we're doing OK with out her interferance and she goes home again.

How Aussie is that? Sure if she ever started dictating what we do we'd tell her to Feck off but you'd rather have some home grown quasi-celebrity running around like he wn the place telling us how to do our job right now...

As for the census it give planners an idea of what to plan for so we can get on with the job of running the shop ourselves... It takes 10mins tops online and your personal info remains confidential. How hard is it

Cypher, re the ride to work thingie. I ride 5 days a week but drive on tuesdays. Is it then OK for me to fudge the question and say I rode?
:ambivalence:

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Cypher, re the ride to work thingie. I ride 5 days a week but drive on tuesdays. Is it then OK for me to fudge the question and say I rode?
:ambivalence:
Ah, yes. That is one of the problems with the census. It is a 'snap shot' of one day in the lives of 22 mill people once every 5 years.

It depends on how you feel as to what to put down. But I am sure that the various traffic authorities will have their traffic counters out in force today (to match their stats to the census), so if you put down that you rode, but really drove, the stats will mis-match a bit.

:) I rode, but as I live 2km away from work I have little excuse. It takes too long to find a park.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
The census is pretty simple to understand; If you put garbage in, then you will get garbage out.
Make an effort to answer the questions accurately and the results (on which services and infrastructure are planned) will be accurate. If you identify with a religion, tick the box for it; if you never talk to your god or go to your place of worship, it's a good idea to tick the no religion box. The same with riding to work, if you predominantly ride to work, then tick that box. Cat, I think you would provide a more accurate picture of your transport usage by stating you ride rather than drive to work.

thecat

Ah, yes. That is one of the problems with the census. It is a 'snap shot' of one day in the lives of 22 mill people once every 5 years.
That is the problem isn't it. Putting down that I drove is in no way indicative of my normal commuting habits and thus is kinda pointless. The question is only valid if it is back up with "Is this your normal mode of getting to work. If not what is..."

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[my involvement in this thread]

I have been riding to Uni 5 days a week lately, but had to drive in today (I had to take an f***ing 22" PC Monitor with me) I'll be marking cycle to work on the census anyways (I want better cycleways in my area!)

All these tossers write Jedi or Flying Spagetti Monsters on their census form for no real gain, so you may as well lie through your teeth to achieve something useful like better cycle facilities!

Anyhow, this is General MTB Discussion, lets drop the Godless Commies vs Religious Fanatics arguement and focus on the bikes (or have the thread moved into off topic)

[/my involvement in this thread]

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is the problem isn't it. Putting down that I drove is in no way indicative of my normal commuting habits and thus is kinda pointless. The question is only valid if it is back up with "Is this your normal mode of getting to work. If not what is..."
The other side of the coin is the number of people who specifically commuted today by bike so that they could put that they commuted by bike - even if they don't the rest of the time.

I did ride today, but would have ridden today anyhow, even if I only ride 2 days a week.

I guess the hope is that for everyone who normally rides (or catches the bus or drives) that didn't today, there will be someone else who doesn't normally, but did today.

ghostghp

Squid
Currently filling in my census form. Under dependents, who else can I include apart from; boat people, illegal immigrants, dole bludgers, public servants and useless fickin' poiticians?:very_drunk::very_drunk::decision:

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Currently filling in my census form. Under dependents, who else can I include apart from; boat people, illegal immigrants, dole bludgers, public servants and useless fickin' poiticians?:very_drunk::very_drunk::decision:
You certainly can't list any sense of compassion or an interesting sense of humour as dependants.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
f*cking hopeless...... I live 5 mins from the CBD and have not received any census form.

I got the ecensus code and it won't let me log in......if they want me to fill out this bloody thing,
a) give me a form to fill out
b) let me log in so I do it!

just my rant......

1 hour later....
okies finally managed to log in and get it done :p
Hope I remember my current address in 5 years time......

Last edited:
The whole "snapshot" of our lives is unfortunate for me.

Every time the census comes out, I am out of the country. I would like to do my bit to give some valid input as to what I do and what I need/would use throughout the year or for the 10 months on average that I am in Australia and the 7 or so months that I am actually at home (ps living out of a suitcase sucks!).

So every year the census is filled out as if I do not count. I feel left out :(

Norco Maniac

Is back!
a snapshot it is, and in that way can be no more accurate or inaccurate than any other data collecting exercise. i am annoyed that the religion box doesn't cover people like myself, who do believe in the "fairy tale" of God but don't subscribe to a particular denominational view or attend church. so "no religion" it was.

thecat

What about unoriginal bogan fuckwits whose first post to a forum is an old joke that stopped being funny about 5 years before it was first told?

Just sayin' is all

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Isn't denying the religion you were born into like denying your history of drug use?
I'm not so sure about this one. A census is supposed to be a register of what is, not what you want it to be.
Yes, AND, it's meant to be about what is, not what was, nor what other people tried to plan you to be.

I was born not knowing a language also but I will be putting down English now. Same thing...

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I participated and I must admit I feel better for having done so. TheCat, I dislike The Queen and I dislike The Royal Family. I do not like what they represent. This may be because my ancestors were French.

À mon avis, la famille royale sont tous des imbéciles et doivent être nourris aux porcs.

Last edited:
Yes, AND, it's meant to be about what is, not what was, nor what other people tried to plan you to be.

I was born not knowing a language also but I will be putting down English now. Same thing...

Still with this?

You are not born religious, you are born into religious custom. If you were religious on Tuesday, mark it as such; that's all there is to it.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Actually this country's christian history of only a few hundred years and has lore and dreamtime dating back over 40,000 years your argument is wrong.

True, and for billion of years before that the land that became Australia was Under the Divine Rule of the Great Cthulhu, Azathoth and Nyarlathotep....

Jesus loves you, Cthulhu thinks you taste like chicken...

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't read the entire thread, but...

A child cannot be born into religion. Fairy-tales are something you learn, it isn't an innate characteristic.
Well, yes and no.

Isolation studies have shown that children, with absolutely zero prior mention of religion or anti-religion in their lives, explain occurrences & situations (basically anything that can't be explained by direct vision/understanding) with something along the lines of 'it's meant to be'/'thats how it was made'. Doesn't take much to adapt that to the modern version of religion.

I've mentioned this a number of times over the past few years, first reading about the studies in New Scientist quite a while ago. Have since lost the magazine, but if you're interested I'm sure you could research it. NS edition from...2008 perhaps?

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Still with this?

You are not born religious, you are born into religious custom. If you were religious on Tuesday, mark it as such; that's all there is to it.
Yeah, we're agreeing here mate - the guy was saying if you were born into a religious custom you should mark down that religion even if you are not religious now. Which makes no sense to me... We're saying the same thing i.e. now is what counts. :)