heavyp

You heard it here first
The 2nd worst downhill bike of 2011 after the new Kona Operator

Last edited:

Tomshak

Likes Dirt
The Kona operator isn't too bad.

However the Marin doesn't look particularly attractive :p
At least they have started to make a downhill bike and from here, it can only get better :D

heavyp

You heard it here first
The Kona operator isn't too bad.

However the Marin doesn't look particularly attractive :p
At least they have started to make a downhill bike and from here, it can only get better :D
They used to have a sweet dh bike single pivot 9 inch of travel bit over kill for the time it was out around 99/00/01 im pretty sure.

Last edited:

sprocket

Likes Dirt
I like it... mind you I own a 2stage so my tastes are all over the shop... but who knows would like to see how it rides.. looks heavy and like it should be caring iroe ore in a mine somewhere.. bit like me really... LOL

Tomshak

Likes Dirt
They used to have a sweet dh bike single pivot 9 inch of travel bit over kill for the time it was out around 99/00/01 im pretty sure.
Well at least they are starting to re-produce a downhill bike again then :p

And 9 inch is probably over kill these days too

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Fuck me that is ugly, looks worse than our PM.
I'd rather ride the Marin though..

Seriously though guys I like it, looks brutal, and as for 9" being too much, how is it everyone loves the Session 88's, 8.8" is so close to it anyway, and look at peat's history on a 10" bike.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd rather ride the Marin though..

Seriously though guys I like it, looks brutal, and as for 9" being too much, how is it everyone loves the Session 88's, 8.8" is so close to it anyway, and look at peat's history on a 10" bike.
Hah, where'd you get 8.8" from?

The Session 88 and 8 are, and have always been 203mm. (8")

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont mind the bike, a little cluttered in the shock area tho not bad, much worse looking bikes out there.

what im more concerned about is that they clearly dont pay their design team all that much.....makes you wonder if they pay the R&D team a decent wage to make advances in technology.

2010 Quake 7.9

for me i like this better, seems quite a bit smaller and nimble, and with 7inch travel more than enough for most aussie DH also with a tapered head tube run a +/- rake headset and put dual crowns on it

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Hah, where'd you get 8.8" from?

The Session 88 and 8 are, and have always been 203mm. (8")
Really?!
I've always thought the 88 was 8.8" and the session 8 was 8", with the shorter shock and all. Shows my knowledge of em then.. Let's just say I meant an old glory then...

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
seriously who cares what the bike looks like.. if it works ride it..
Functionality over form!! that said the smaller travel bikes weren't light and also had some issues with the really long swing arm..

seriously kids need to get over what their bikes look like.

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
seriously who cares what the bike looks like.. if it works ride it..
Functionality over form!! that said the smaller travel bikes weren't light and also had some issues with the really long swing arm..

seriously kids need to get over what their bikes look like.
True.

But, for the amount you pay for a new DH bike, i want something that looks cool too. I'm pretty sure everyone does.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
rohan you should actually ride your bike, not strip down and replace perfectly fine bearings....and yes we know why you say who cares what it looks like...because you ride one of the most over engineered and ugly in my opinion rear ends in the DH world...DEMO

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it looks (and here comes a 90's word so look out), RADICAL!

It has that Nicolai like industrial appearance.

Comparing it to the Kona Operator is a bit insulting. That Kona looks so bleed'n woeful that if it was in the street I'd by it a bag. The Stab was a good looking machine.

Maybe my taste is just a bit weird, as I think the new Demo is absolutely fugly and they had it nailed with the 08' models where the horizontal brace on the main frame was horizontal and looked right.

Tomshak

Likes Dirt
rohan you should actually ride your bike, not strip down and replace perfectly fine bearings....and yes we know why you say who cares what it looks like...because you ride one of the most over engineered and ugly in my opinion rear ends in the DH world...DEMO
The 2010 (and before) demo's looked absolutely awesome in my opinion, but the 2011 looks a bit ugly.

Either way they still perform very strongly :D

Last edited: