2011 Mawson Marathon

Enduro Pulse

Likes Dirt
plus a hint that the course will be finishing with some of the sweet Melrose trails. I mean how could you not use them really!

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Agree on the solo option, this is no different to the gravel grinders in the US.....Good to see the Cyclocross option for this year
Well the difference is the Gravel Grinders in the states are fully self sufficient. I'm debating emailing them and posing the question. It's the week after the Sydney 12hr so the thought of being able to head down and bash it out at my own pace is kinda appealing. If you pack for full self sufficiency, take a Spot Transponder etc... I reckon you could manage the risks...

...on the other hand, the pair thing is kinda fun :)

Cheers
Spoonie

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Exciting! The changes I thought needed to be made - were made!

The solo thing, in my opinion, is not practical for this event (although I would love to try it too). It's just too remote, with too few riders coming along if something goes wrong. A bit of rain, a bit of wind, a chilly night, there's potential for a rider to die by the trail in the last couple of legs.

I'm happy that the support vehicle thing has been removed. My partner and I had one last year and it was great to have a supporter out there with us, but it makes the event logistically more difficult to get to if you want to be competitive. The cost of hiring a 4wd vehicle for three days, and getting a supporter out there with you, took it out of reach of some people who might otherwise have gone last year.

I suspect the reason they changed the support vehicle rule was not cost or logistics though... just like the one bike rule, it was to level the playing field for those abiding by the spirit of the rules. I was going to give this race a miss but with the improvements and continuation of the big dollars we might just turn up again. Make sure you beat us this time eh Spoonie?

- Joel

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Make sure you beat us this time eh Spoonie
All I can say is, I'm not sure giving up that bowl of tasty hot lasagne just so we could head out the checkpoint door at Hawker with you would have been worth it...

...the hot pasta, soup, and massages at Quorn wasn't bad either!

Cheers
Spoonie

austy

Likes Bikes
is the course do-able on a cx bike? Just watched the video from last year and a lot of it looked pretty technical and rocky.

Rode it last year and the dude on cx bike had a ball and was super quick although he was disqualified as cx bike were not allowed last year the only sections of rough stuff is day one then heaps of fire trail and black top grinding so i reckon a cx bikes the go

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
is the course do-able on a cx bike? Just watched the video from last year and a lot of it looked pretty technical and rocky.
Do-able? Yes... Smashable... hell yes!

The rocky section really isn't bad at all... I'm probably not crossing it but would be thinking something like ravens or Furious Freds are the go on the MTB...

Propagate

Likes Dirt
Did any of you guys do last years as a stage race?

My buddy and me did our very first race a couple of weeks ago and we're now itching to do something else.

I watched last years SBS doco last night and we really fancy giving it a crack.

We're not super fit, but enjoy our riding so reckon we'd be able to go the distance but at a more 'tourist' pace....hah.

I'm interested to know from anyone that used the 'deluxe' tent package and food package etc last year, as we would be coming unsupported.

The current plan is to drive form Melbourne to Adelaide and leave the car in a long term car park in Adelaide, along with some fresh clothes etc. Stay in Adelaide the night before and take the coach option to Blinman. Basically opt for the whole package, i.e. deluxe tent, meal package and coach transfers to and from Adelaide so we don't have to worry about anything through the actual event, then stay in Adelaide for another night or so afterward before collecting the car and driving back to Melbourne.

I'd love to hear from anyone that did last years as a stage, especially those that didn't have wives/girlfriends etc as support crews.

Cheers.

sidathensgold

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty excited for this as it'll be my first off road stage race. I understand costs and how it's hard to turn a profit from running a race, but what is included in the $4-500 entry fee? It's not turning me off entering but I'm just curious as to what is included. Couldn't attain much from the website.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Accommodation booked... now to enter! (whilst there was nothing wrong with the tent experience... it was a long stagger from the Mt Remarkable hotel to the tents... and its cold in SA over winter!)

Propagate

Likes Dirt
Accommodation booked... now to enter! (whilst there was nothing wrong with the tent experience... it was a long stagger from the Mt Remarkable hotel to the tents... and its cold in SA over winter!)
So, if you're unsupported and no vehicle access at the end of each stage, are there places within walking/biking distance to the stage start/end each night?

For some reason I had it in my mind that each stage finished in the arse end of nowhere and that camping was the only option?

I obviously need to research this thing a bit more.....I really fancy giving it a crack, and have no real problem with camping but the thought of a proper room each night sounds great.

Having said that, it might seem like more of an adventure if we tented it.

All the stages finnish in small towns and camping is in the local caravan park most have pubs with accom except for Rawnsley Park which you might be able to book an onsite van i think Hawkers got 1 pub and 1 motel and Quorns got 5 pubs and 2 motels and Melrose 2 pubs 1 motel, the hardest thing about the stage race last year was packing up my one man tent and bags, loading them on the transfer truck, eating breaky and having a dump to remove excess ballast prior to the 7.30 start time, so its great they have moved the start to a reasonable 9.00am.
Its great break from life and work at home as your mobile hardly works i recommend it BTW drive to melrose and park behind the town hall its free and you can leave anytime you want after youve riden dodging bullets and some of the other lovely trails in the hills around Melrose

Propagate

Likes Dirt
All the stages finnish in small towns and camping is in the local caravan park most have pubs with accom except for Rawnsley Park which you might be able to book an onsite van i think Hawkers got 1 pub and 1 motel and Quorns got 5 pubs and 2 motels and Melrose 2 pubs 1 motel, the hardest thing about the stage race last year was packing up my one man tent and bags, loading them on the transfer truck, eating breaky and having a dump to remove excess ballast prior to the 7.30 start time, so its great they have moved the start to a reasonable 9.00am.
Its great break from life and work at home as your mobile hardly works i recommend it BTW drive to melrose and park behind the town hall its free and you can leave anytime you want after youve riden dodging bullets and some of the other lovely trails in the hills around Melrose
Thats great info, thanks for that.

So the stage start and finish right in the towns then? No issues in riding from pub to start line?

I'm in two minds, I fancy staying at the pubs or motels for a warm comfy bed and a good feed, but like the idea of roughing it at the event site.

Having not done an event like this before, I kind of like the idea of having staying with the ride so to speak and taking them up on the catering package. I'd hate to go to the pub for a chow down to find they've sold out of everything thanks to an influx of starving mountain bikers!

I'll see if I can find the accommodation on the net and have a look at prices etc, then have a chin wag with my buddy about whether we want to rough it instead.

I don't fancy packing up tents and gear though, so we'd go for the event tent package. I guess we'd need to take our own sleeping bags though?

I like the idea of leaving the car at Melrose, not sure about leaving it in a public car park for 4 nights though? How would you get from Melrose to Blinman, does the event transport go via Melrose to give people that option?

Sorry for all the questions, I've just watched last years SBS coverage again and I'm really excited to give it a bash!

Cheers.

dyon

Likes Bikes
I did the stage race last year, but I also rode to the start line up the Mawson trail from Adelaide with my family in the weeks preceding it. I had no problems doing it on 35/38mm tyres with panniers and towing a toddler in the trailer behind. There are only a few km of singletrack (but it's generally wide enough to tow a trailer) and a few rocky sections where we had to manhandle the trailer through.

The majority of the race is on roads (mostly dirt but generally in good condition) and I found the stage race really ended up being a roadie stage race. I like watching road racing (on TV) but I have no real desire to participate in it and came away from the race pretty disappointed. (See my rant in last years thread). This year may be different but I won't be going to the expense and effort to see.

If you want to be competitive in the stage race you'll probably want a support crew to hand you bottles at the feed stations. I was dropped by the lead group on a couple of stages because I had to stop and get bottles while the rest of the group had someone to pass them bottles on the go. Alternatively I guess you could carry enough water for the full stage but I was already at a significant weight penalty (steel 29er w/ touring wheels) and not keen to make it worse.

I guess one other thing to note is that there is some very cool scenery between Melrose and Blinman (and further south on the Melrose trail). If you're actually racing however, you'll either be looking at your stem or the bum of the guy in front. I'd recommend spending some extra time to enjoy the scenery.

rabbitpedal

Cannon Fodder
Support offer - Drive vehicle from Blinman to Melrose

I am planning to be in Blinman for the start, and would be able to drive your vehicle back to Melrose (with support at staging points). If travelling from interstate I have a house 20 minutes from the airport for stop-over as needed.

Last year I rode from Melrose to Blinman (self-supported) then put my bike in the non-stop riders support vehicle and provided them the 24 hour support for their non-stop ride to Melrose. This year I would do the same. (The team i supported is not riding this year)

Happy to support a stage ride team or non-stop. I would move my dates to suit.

Jim
jimkes AT adam.com.au
o418 833 786

biketart

Squid
I haven't done it before, but just signed up for non stop with my training partner in mixed 40+

We are from Melbourne and will be flying/hire car in Adelaide. Mike's wife will run support for some of it. I'm soooooooooooo excited, can't wait.

Love to hear from those who are going, have been etc etc. Still trying to get my head around some of the logistics. What gear to take, how to best carry it.............where's the party Sunday night???

Last edited: