2011 world champs Champéry - Switzerland

Ivan

Eats Squid
Those who want it wet - you have got your wish!! Pissed down in the Alps all night & still raining - fresh snow cover on Morzine Alps this morning & now I am glad I took Hoodie and jeans with me. Junior team out riding on wet tyres in Switzerland this arvo to get used to the terrain - will be tired when they finally get back here. Taking them out for a well deserved steak tonight!!
Noooooooo! I wanted it dry!

frenchie

Glenorchy MTB Park
Some facts:

Stevie Smith Fractured his lower leg in Val Di Sole after a big rag- he's off home for surgery.
Mitch Delfs unfortunately didn't qualify for Aussie Worlds Team
The Aussie Juniors will have the best haircuts at the event.
It has been raining most days at 4-5pm in the alps- it hammered down all night the other night.
Champery sits in the shaded side of a massive valley and does not dry out that well.
The course at Champery is steep. Not like anything is Australia Steep. More like you literally cannot walk some parts of the course steep.
The course is not that rough.
There aren't a whole lot of lines, it's as much just a point and shoot affair.
Australian team are all on good form leading in- we will make a good showing this year.
If you think Gwin can't ride steep you really don't get it. Gwin nailed it at Val Di Sole. If you think the guy won't be training harder than ANYONE else for steep riding like in Champery you are way wrong.
Aussie juniors 2 on the podium, the rest in the top ten.
We'll claim an elite mens podium and stack the top ten/twenty.

MTBA now has a Facebook page with regular updates from the venue, inside photos and goss. Search for Mountain Bike Australia and get onboard. This will be one of the best Worlds yet.

Simon

udi

swiss cheese
The course at Champery is steep. Not like anything is Australia Steep. More like you literally cannot walk some parts of the course steep.
Not to detract from the steepest track on the WC circuit, but the track is a lot tamer now than it was in ~2007-2009. A few parts of the track used to go straight down the mountain (where they don't anymore) and catch berms have now increased in size and number. In its original guise the track was not only ridiculously steep, but a lot of corners had minimal support which meant you were doing well if you managed to not roll off the edge of something and start a long tumble down the hill. A lot of corners you'd feel like you *just* managed to brake enough to not die.

It's hardly like that anymore, the course is better supported and smoother. I'd love to see Hill pull something out of the bag, but in it's current state, I'd say this is anyone's game to take.

Should make for some exciting racing.

Last edited:

NZSNOWDOG

Likes Dirt
Seems like from some of the comments on here,Gwin would be more popular if he was a 'bad boy'.
Dont think you need tatts,and a 'look at moi' attitude to be the best.
I cant beleive people are bagging this guy.

Shoryuken

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Where do you all watch this? Or you just read the results after?
Is it streamed online? Can i download a torrent of it etc, plus the previous races?

Ive never seen it on crappy Australian tv before :(

RAC_DH

Likes Dirt
SBS might be playing it live check mtba website ...
but it does not show up in SBS website ????

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
Worth a watch- [video]http://freecaster.tv/mountainbike/1017572/champery-course-ride-with-warner[/video] but turn down your sound if your at work :biggrin:

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
Worth a watch- [video]http://freecaster.tv/mountainbike/1017572/champery-course-ride-with-warner[/video] but turn down your sound if your at work :biggrin:
You are not wrong about the sound. There is only one Warner and was a good laugh.

Thats my kind of speed.

Shoryuken

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info guys
Checking it out now

I really want something like a HD torrent i can DL, that would be lavish.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seems like from some of the comments on here,Gwin would be more popular if he was a 'bad boy'.
Dont think you need tatts,and a 'look at moi' attitude to be the best.
I cant beleive people are bagging this guy.
They're just in denial about Sean Palmers retirement.

Gotta love how he really places emphasis on all the swear words.

caddy

Likes Dirt
Gotta love Warner. Absolute classic!
How much does the live feed work out to be in Aus $$ ?

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Gravy stains in 4th, prokop with the win!!

Gwin has fastest timed practice by secs but a quick look through the results suggests a LOT of guys are taking it easy.
Hill is some where around 14th
Troy in 3rd
Cam Cole was airlifted after a big crash and is out.