ACT 2012 Australian 24hr Solo MTB Championships

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Hi There,
I can't seem to find much info about this event, and given there are Easter eggs on the supermarket shelf it means that its really not that far away. Is it a confirmed 'national' event ?? If so, when will entries open, and event info start to appear?

Cheers

Flick
Still waiting on MTBA to open the EOI for the National solo's. We (CORC) can't confirm that it's a national event until after this is awarded - and this could be awarded to any club/promoter that submits a response for it.

At present, this is still the CORC solo-only 24hr event.

Easter eggs appear as soon as the Christmas decorations are put away. You can keep your money in the bank for a little longer, I can't put a date on when entries will open. Should be before March though. :) And it won't sell out, there's always room for more.

Event info - um, you start at midday and finish at midday (not on the same day though, Dreggsy); you supply your own custard - broccoli grows in trees; and preferential treatment will be given to those that supply their own gnomes.

Entries open

Just entered yesterday for Majura on the MTBA website from hot and sticky QLD cant wait to ride in anything less than 30 degrees

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Rider Survey

Just in case you didn't get the email from CORC...

Corc 24 Hour Solo Competitors and CORC Members

Canberra Off Road Cyclists are hosting our annual Solo only 24 hour mtb race during Easter (April 7th and 8th 2012) this year. However we would like to ask riders a few questions.

Though it says on the entries the event will be at Majura, we have still not decided and wish to ask competitors and support crew where they want to see the race held.

The entry fee is up by a few dollars this year, largely because Majura Pines will cost a little more to host the event and from what we hear currently this is likely the preferred location by riders.

So if you have a few minutes please respond to the survey at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CG8XBBG

If you wish to enter the Easter Solo only 24 Hour race (including the 6+6 race option) follow the link https://www.registernow.com.au/mtba/ERegister.aspx?E=936

Currently we have applied to MTBA for this event to once more be granted national championships status, rather than wait until we hear from MTBA as we did last year it seemed a better idea to open the entries now and get moving on this great event. We will make an announcement of the title status if the event will once more be the Australian 24 Hour solo national championships.

This race is a little more than a month before the Solo World Championships in Italy this year (May 19th and 20th 2012) so we hope all competitors keen go to Italy also feel they can come to our race this
year also.

Thanks

akashra

Eats Squid
If I have the time free, I'd like to do the 6+6 at Majura.

However on the Aus champs thing, I guess I'm in two minds about this:
- On one hand, it's been the champs for years, and no other event seems to be wanting the title.
- On the other hand, it's only two months away. IMO this is too close to an event to announce such a decision and should have been done long ago.

It would be interesting to hear what others think about this.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
If I have the time free, I'd like to do the 6+6 at Majura.

However on the Aus champs thing, I guess I'm in two minds about this:
- On one hand, it's been the champs for years, and no other event seems to be wanting the title.
- On the other hand, it's only two months away. IMO this is too close to an event to announce such a decision and should have been done long ago.

It would be interesting to hear what others think about this.
Agree...

There was some stuff in the last EOI that does make it a bit challenging for clubs / promoters to put on - IIR it basically implied that you needed a separate track for solos to ride on although there was no problem with it being held in conjunction with another event. The solo only races still require a lot of infrastructure to put on so are expensive (relatively) for a promoter to put on.

You could offset costs by holding it alongside another event (essentially your team entries are subsidising solos) but that means that you need to essentially have two courses worth of track... so Stromlo... Hidden Valley and Forrest are really the only venues that spring to mind. Even then, it means that youre restricting the amount of singletrack available for the teams race which is where you make the $$$...

I had a bit of a rant a while ago about the need to announce the aussie champs early so those of us who can't race (and do well at) a 24 every second weekend can build. For me its a good 2-3 months build to get in good 24 shape and it would be nice to know it early so you can build a season around it!

But... in the end I decided that aussie champs or no... the solo only race is pretty spesh - best vibe of any race through the year I reckon and so I've risked impending divorce by putting it on 'the schedule' (something about spending overy f'n Easter at a MTB race not being acceptable was mentioned a number of times).

Be nice if it was the aussie champs though. If its not then hopefully the aussie champs will be towards the end of the year so we can build again...

Be interesting to see who fronts up given the WEMBO race in Italy is a month later...

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
In case you haven't worked it out....

Location is Majura. The results from the survey were quite interesting, so thanks very much for responding.

If you're a rider, Majura was the overwhelming winner
If you're a supporter, Stromlo was the preferred choice.

So, for those riding this Easter, remember your support person- don't forget to thank them, and if possible provide them a shower, a heater, an armchair, a lamp, comfy throw rug and an ever warm mug of their preferred beverage.

If you've got nothing on this Sunday (riding wise that is) and you love giving back, we'll be having a maintenance day at Majura to fix up some of the water damage. Meet at the main gates on Majura Drive for a 3pm start.

For more information:
http://new.corc.asn.au/info/?IntCatId=13&IntContId=2944&IntContContId=2936

Last edited:

flick25

Squid
Location is Majura. The results from the survey were quite interesting, so thanks very much for responding.

If you're a rider, Majura was the overwhelming winner
If you're a supporter, Stromlo was the preferred choice.

So, for those riding this Easter, remember your support person- don't forget to thank them, and if possible provide them a shower, a heater, an armchair, a lamp, comfy throw rug and an ever warm mug of their preferred beverage.

If you've got nothing on this Sunday (riding wise that is) and you love giving back, we'll be having a maintenance day at Majura to fix up some of the water damage. Meet at the main gates on Majura Drive for a 3pm start.

Looking forward to riding Majura trails !!! Is the event badged as the Nationals Solo 24 Champs???

Cheers Flick

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
At the moment, the event is still the CORC solo only 24hr event.

As soon as we know different, so will you.

For those that are curious, the course we've put together is loads of fun with only a couple of spots that I swore at (the short sharp uphill bit, and the tight right hand uphill rooty and rocky bit) and only one bit where I totally chickened out and said "nah" - but we'll fix that before Easter.

We'll try to put together some footage of the course and a gps trace soon.

I have a note from my mum saying that I don't have to do "the short sharp uphill bit", "the tight right hand uphill rooty and rocky bit" or the " I totally chickened out and said "nah" bit"

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Just a little bit to get you excited...

Thanks to Andrew Hall and Jason McAvoy for riding the tracks. Since they have all the knowledge on the trails I'm sure that gives them in an unfair advantage, so we'll be starting them on Sunday morning.

http://youtu.be/jylmN8DEV3Y

The newest addition to the mandatory rider requirements will be PFD's. Some of the puddles we cleared out were pretty deep.

Garmin Link - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/159736020

Course Description.

The 2012 Australian 24hr Solo Nationals course is set in the iconic Canberra Majura Pine Forest for possibly the last time.

The 8.1km course has some familiar sections from previous years, but also introduces some exciting areas which are rarely used in races.

Like previous years, the course starts from the Girl Guides facility, with riders heading out on a short piece of fireroad and into the first single track. This single track is fast and has lots sweeping corners.

Riding to the bottom of the forest, the course hairpins back up to the lower fireroad, and we transition back into the single track via an A/B line log jump. This brings the rider out into the lower car park fireroad, and there is a brief section to grab a quick drink.

The course heads back into the forest at the lower car park, and the rider follows the sweet flowing lower trails. Remember to have lots of battery life in your lights early in the morning, as this section is dark well past sun rise!

Once out of the lower trails, it is into more flowing single track of the middle "Pooklestein" section. Watch out for the little dips and bridges, and say hello to the kangaroos who like to sleep in this section over night.

Leaving this section, we head into the rooty 'Old George' section, which links us with the vineyard fireroad. This is a great section to grab a gel and a drink, just watch out for the spiky bushes!

At the end of the vineyard, we hit a small pinch which gives enough elevation for a fast run over roots and rocks - and gives the longest (and most fun) descent in the course.

A quick cross over of the fireroad, and we climb through 'Auto Alley', and onto the upper fireroad. From here we jump into the tail end of 'Auto Alley', negotiating some technical pinches, roots, switch backs and rock formations. It's all very ridable, but this section will reward those who scope out their lines before the race.

The rider leaves this section via a rocky descent, and there is another brief fireroad transition - and time for a quick drink. We re-enter the single track used in previous Solo races, and we have a fast run back through the main 'Pit Street' of Majura.

With the lap nearly complete, the course gives one last fireroad section before dropping in under 'Mineshaft' and it's all downhill to the fireroad back up to the start / transition area.

All up, a rider can expect lots of sweet flowing single track, just enough fireroad to grab a quick bite and a drink, and some technical roots and rocky sections to keep it all interesting.

The lap will take most riders 35 - 45 minutes.

Last edited:

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
I'm in - 10 days to get training :)

I've heard Stompin' SS Sam W. - is all geared up for the race this year, just like the young Padwan.
Maybe gears is the new 29er SS?

I got a book on the Ultimate Hipster for my birthday - along with Sh!t My Dad Says.
I'm going to so full of useful information.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
have a good one out there everyone....

after four years at this event....some things have conspired against me and im giving this one a miss.... :-(

to all the characters like Red Racer, Anti Trainer and several others :fox:, that have made Easter over the past four years an awesome experience...thanks for the experience...and catch you at the next event... :02.47-tranquillity: