2012 Highland Fling

dbm081

Likes Bikes
I'm in! Can't wait after missing last years event because of surgery.

Now to get some km's in the legs so I can enjoy it.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
I take it the Full Fling is fairly tough? Is it brutal like the Kona Odyssey?
Did the Kona Odyssey this year and the Fling in 2011. The Fling is tough but nothing like the Odyssey. The Fling is 10km longer, but I did it 45 minutes quicker than the Odyssey (take 15-20 minutes off that for stopping and helping an injured rider). So lets say the Fling is 30 minutes quicker (for me anyway). I am thinking of doing the 100 mile at the Fling this year.

Being a middle of the pack rider, you can pretty much ride the all of the Fling, where as the Odyssey there is a fair bit of 'hike a bike'.

Did the Kona Odyssey this year and the Fling in 2011. The Fling is tough but nothing like the Odyssey. The Fling is 10km longer, but I did it 45 minutes quicker than the Odyssey (take 15-20 minutes off that for stopping and helping an injured rider). So lets say the Fling is 30 minutes quicker (for me anyway). I am thinking of doing the 100 mile at the Fling this year.

Being a middle of the pack rider, you can pretty much ride the all of the Fling, where as the Odyssey there is a fair bit of 'hike a bike'.
Thanks for the info, it gives me some idea of what to expect from the Fling. I will go ahead and enter, this sounds like a great event.

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
OK. I'm in.

I look forward to the Fling each year. It's a complete package: camping; travel; fun and scenic trails; quirky themes; good food... The ride? Challenging if you want it to be, otherwise it's just a proper ride. Like the atmosphere; like the Early Bath. Like!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in, looking forward to it again. Entered, but since we have a bub due 1 month earlier don't know if I'll end up making there.

Promised my two boys last year that they could enter in the kids fling this year. Fingers crossed for them too.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Just remember, it's not 100.
Not a big difference now, but when your odometer clicks over 98km it will ...
Heh, I remember my first fling when the Odo clicked over 100km and I got to the 10km to go sign around the next bend. I worked out that at the pace I was going I had almost an hour to go. I confess to sitting down and having a little 'moment'.

Of course that was when it was the easy version... (stoopid grassy hill that goes on forever grumble grumble!)

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Only 5 weeks to go.. wow, that went fast. Time to get some training in!

From what I can tell, the half-fling course (yes, i've wussed out) is roughly the same as last year? I'm keen to see how I've improved in 12 months.. hopefully, it's by quite a lot!

NullaTroy

Likes Bikes
Never done the race before - I've heard it's pretty open style of course and perfect for a 29er HT ( which I have ). I'm only doing the half fling so just wanted to confirm I'm not being setup to fail by my "mates"

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Never done the race before - I've heard it's pretty open style of course and perfect for a 29er HT ( which I have ). I'm only doing the half fling so just wanted to confirm I'm not being setup to fail by my "mates"
Perfect 29er country. Lots of wide fireroads. Find a small group to work with and you'll smash it.

notime

Likes Dirt
I can't decide on single speed gearing for the fling this year, hills v flat.

Anyone here in the under 5:20ish times that can enlighten me to what teeth count's they where riding and experience?

dr.evil

Likes Dirt
I can't decide on single speed gearing for the fling this year, hills v flat.

Anyone here in the under 5:20ish times that can enlighten me to what teeth count's they where riding and experience?
Under 5:20 for the full or half?