2012 Highland Fling

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep same here, I'm pretty novice, was on a HT 29. The only pain in the butt (pun intended) was the grassy paddocks that were a bit bumpy.

Agree about the amount of trash on course, was terrible.

I thought the signage was good.

bt100

Likes Dirt
Signage seemed good but being the 2nd time I've done this I knew where to go. I didn't notice any rubbish except lost bottles but I think I was hurting too much to notice much.

This is by far the best organized event on the calendar where the whole town gets involved.

I can't wait for the results to get uploaded on cyclenation seeing its the last race of the series.

dr.evil

Likes Dirt
This reminds me - the only negative from the day out for me was getting stuck behind a few people on single speed cyclocross in the single track. Even with polite 'track' calls they really didn't want to yield. That meant to lots of stops/track stands while they stalled and swore in the last 10 kms or so. Full respect to them for doing the course on such a bike, but they really did create bottlenecks for riders =/
There were hundreds of riders in the Fling and there were a few bottle-necks as a result...not really sure why you'd pick SS CX riders as the culrpits. I rode SS CX and can't think of many others that did the same - so I am assuming you mean me. I had a blast this year with some great conversations with all that passed me or I passed. I know my limits and made sure I wasn't in the way...very few calls of track and no mentions of holding riders up.

The single track in the last 10kms was tough on running a 42:18 CX but many other riders were struggling too. I recall being held up several times by slower riders - but not much you can do until they think it is safe for them for you to pass.

Hope you weren't caught behind the SS CX riders for too long and it didn't cost you the race and it sounds like you really enjoyed your fling otherwise.

dbm081

Likes Bikes
The single track in the last 10kms was tough on running a 42:18 CX but many other riders were struggling too. I recall being held up several times by slower riders - but not much you can do until they think it is safe for them for you to pass.
42:18!! No wonder the last 10kms was hard!

I was toying with the idea of having a crack SS next year, but was thinking 32:18 on the 29er.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
There were hundreds of riders in the Fling and there were a few bottle-necks as a result...not really sure why you'd pick SS CX riders as the culrpits. I rode SS CX and can't think of many others that did the same - so I am assuming you mean me. I had a blast this year with some great conversations with all that passed me or I passed. I know my limits and made sure I wasn't in the way...very few calls of track and no mentions of holding riders up.

Hope you weren't caught behind the SS CX riders for too long and it didn't cost you the race and it sounds like you really enjoyed your fling otherwise.
Yeah - don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not blaming them for all of the bottlenecks in the race, and to be honest, i wasn't up the top in the times, so realistically the impact was pretty small. I just recall asking to pass (politely) a few times without being let through (when appropriate) and kind of just rolling behind them watching them struggle.

Like I said, those guys are far tougher than me - it's not something that I'd enjoy doing whatsoever! And, it was more of an observation, rather than a blame thing!

dr.evil

Likes Dirt
Yeah - don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not blaming them for all of the bottlenecks in the race, and to be honest, i wasn't up the top in the times, so realistically the impact was pretty small. I just recall asking to pass (politely) a few times without being let through (when appropriate) and kind of just rolling behind them watching them struggle.

Like I said, those guys are far tougher than me - it's not something that I'd enjoy doing whatsoever! And, it was more of an observation, rather than a blame thing!
Hey no problems...I was pretty sure the experience didn't ruin your fling...I was sort of trying to explain that I was fully aware that a SS CX was not the best bike selection for some sections of the fling so I made a concerted effort to get out of people's way when required...therefore I'd hate people to think it was me ignoring calls of track...etc...etc.

Happy trails.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Hey no problems...I was pretty sure the experience didn't ruin your fling...I was sort of trying to explain that I was fully aware that a SS CX was not the best bike selection for some sections of the fling so I made a concerted effort to get out of people's way when required...therefore I'd hate people to think it was me ignoring calls of track...etc...etc.

Happy trails.
All good :)

ming

Likes Bikes
Has anyone figured out what the cloth thing in the show bag is for? Too small to wrap around your head, pretty big to clean glasses with...

schwing

Likes Dirt
It was my second event of 100km or more.
I found the organisation great. I rode a steel 29er hardtail and the paddock sections were bumpier than I thought they would be, but what I based those expectations on I have no idea.

Rubbish- yep there was some but nothing compared to the Convict100, cant say it was all elite guys, but who else hasnt got time to go back for a bottle?

How about a pre race gel and bar commitment with a 1 minute penalty for each wrapper or bottle not accounted for at the end of the race for the top 20 places.

I scored a packaged energy bar which was much appreciated at 70kms, so being behind the pack has its advtanges. This included no holdups on the singletrack.

A great ride, enough single track ( just ). Not overly lengthy climbs, and a good variety of terrain.

I was too slow though - over 9hrs - got to get faster and stronger, suffer a bit more over a reduced time.

Maybe a short travel dually would increase the comfort level but a bike fit and greater strength and speed will be my goal. I can do the distance now to work speed

The scarf thingy - a map - emergency bog roll?

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Has anyone figured out what the cloth thing in the show bag is for? Too small to wrap around your head, pretty big to clean glasses with...

they should have thought about it a bit...and made it into a BUFF...which come in handy at times....

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
ve no idea.

Rubbish- yep there was some but nothing compared to the Convict100, cant say it was all elite guys, but who else hasnt got time to go back for a bottle?
Actually I don't think it was just the elites, I saw at least one guy loose a bottle and he definitely realised but kept going. I also saw a fair few bottle before the elites came through. I would bet that most of those lost bottle swere people also carrying camelbaks... the elites can't afford to loose a bottle when that's the only hydration they are carrying, unless it's just before a feed station.

schwing

Likes Dirt
Actually I don't think it was just the elites, I saw at least one guy loose a bottle and he definitely realised but kept going. I also saw a fair few bottle before the elites came through. I would bet that most of those lost bottle swere people also carrying camelbaks... the elites can't afford to loose a bottle when that's the only hydration they are carrying, unless it's just before a feed station.
Although I mentioned the bottles, at the convict there were gel wrappers everywhere much better at the fling. LITTERING PISSES ME OFF.

Last edited:

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
I was super stoked at my result this year, being 15 minutes faster than last year for the Half. Last year I really suffered esp. in the last 10-15kms so I decided this year to take it a bit easier during the first section then ramp it up a bit in the second section. Seems to have worked. I think I may have even struck upon the magic formula nutrition wise as I felt strong right to the finish and no cramping. Pulled up okay the next day too. Maybe I'm getting fitter... or not riding hard enough... :lol: Regardless, after the confidence boost of feeling so good after the race this year, I'm thinking it might be time to step back up to the Full next year...

bt100

Likes Dirt
It looks like cyclenation have fixed the categories but most of the results have allocated to the wrong people in the XCM Series

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
It looks like cyclenation have fixed the categories but most of the results have allocated to the wrong people in the XCM Series
the XCM series ranking are a complete mess on cyclenation at the moment they must be trying to upload/run the fandangled system... but it's given all the wrong times and results to the wrong people