VIC 2012 Kona (Otway) Odyssey

delbified

Likes Bikes
I signed up to get the pics automatically posted to my facebook account, but so far I have received nothing. I did the 50km and only know of two riders who did the 50km that have pics of themselves.
ensure you enter your race plate no., not your entry number.

RoscoeP

Likes Bikes
Hey Steve,

Have to ask, on viewing the times today it occurred to me that i think you were the SS rider I was chatting to when my chain popped at around 70 km - I also had a chat to you at the finish line (although I was a little non-compus-mentis at that time).

If so, I apologise for my expletive outburst as i ground to a halt.

Next year I plan to park my potty mouth. My mantra will be 'I will not swear at the mountain, I will not swear at the mountain...'

Anyway, if that was you, it was a pleasure meeting you and great ride btw.

Rosscoe.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Steve,

Have to ask, on viewing the times today it occurred to me that i think you were the SS rider I was chatting to when my chain popped at around 70 km - I also had a chat to you at the finish line (although I was a little non-compus-mentis at that time).

If so, I apologise for my expletive outburst as i ground to a halt.

Next year I plan to park my potty mouth. My mantra will be 'I will not swear at the mountain, I will not swear at the mountain...'

Anyway, if that was you, it was a pleasure meeting you and great ride btw.

Rosscoe.
Thanks Rosscoe. I think I might have been a little non-compus-mentis on the course.:tickled_pink: Mate, don't apologise for the potty mouth. I worked at Carlton & United breweries for about ten years, I've heard (and uttered) it all.

It's always great meeting and chatting to people out on the course and afterwards. I'd hate to just pack up and leave straight away.

Well done on finishing in a good time given your problem.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Howdy.

For all those none Facebook people I see the photo's have been loaded onto the site.

Click here for 2012 Photos

Survived the ride, now I'm getting a cold. Just when I was looking forward to a ride tonight!

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not finished sorting them yet obviously. I know of at least six more SS riders not listed there, self included
I rode for a while with the girl that finished with a singlespeed in less than 7 hours. She did not stop at all at the 90km transition, just kept going. I caught up with her grinding away on Britney's Meltdown. I kept telling her she was a star. :)

Does she get the "hardest chick" award for the 2012 OO?

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm keen to know what gear ratios you single speeders on 29'ers were using for the 100. I can only dream of riding my Unit in the KO (but it's a great dream!) and am interested to see what you use compared to the 32:18 that seems perfect for a punter like me for trails like the Yarra. Would also really appreciate comments around how your training would be different on a SS compared to a geared beastie, if in fact there are any differences.

A bit off topic, but being a sucker for punishment I just never know what ludicrous thoughts might pass through my mind before next year.

singleminded

Likes Bikes
I'm keen to know what gear ratios you single speeders on 29'ers were using for the 100. I can only dream of riding my Unit in the KO (but it's a great dream!) and am interested to see what you use compared to the 32:18 that seems perfect for a punter like me for trails like the Yarra. Would also really appreciate comments around how your training would be different on a SS compared to a geared beastie, if in fact there are any differences.

A bit off topic, but being a sucker for punishment I just never know what ludicrous thoughts might pass through my mind before next year.
Hey Coaster,

I run 32:18 on my SIR9 fully rigid. did it in 6:48. Most of the other guys I know ran the same gearing and got better times. Next time though, I might run with 32:19 which might get me a bit further up those climbs B4 I need to walk. My son rode his Ti 96er with 32:17 (roughly the same as 32:19 on a 29er wheel) and did it in 6:21. I'm pissed off he beat me, but really proud of his effort.

Training! Hills, hills, and more hills, and lots of them!! We were doing a regular ride from Smiths Gully Store to Kinglake return. There's another ride we do sometimes where I go 32:20 to have half a chance of climbing everything. Generally I ride a couple of nights a week (3-4hours each ride) and a weekend ride if I'm a good boy!

On all these rides we have a mix of SS and geared bikes. Don't think it matters what you ride, you just need to put in lots of k's and elevation to have a successful Kona Odyssey experience.

Cheers,
John

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Coaster,

I run 32:18 on my SIR9 fully rigid. did it in 6:48. Most of the other guys I know ran the same gearing and got better times. Next time though, I might run with 32:19 which might get me a bit further up those climbs B4 I need to walk. My son rode his Ti 96er with 32:17 (roughly the same as 32:19 on a 29er wheel) and did it in 6:21. I'm pissed off he beat me, but really proud of his effort.

Training! Hills, hills, and more hills, and lots of them!! We were doing a regular ride from Smiths Gully Store to Kinglake return. There's another ride we do sometimes where I go 32:20 to have half a chance of climbing everything. Generally I ride a couple of nights a week (3-4hours each ride) and a weekend ride if I'm a good boy!

On all these rides we have a mix of SS and geared bikes. Don't think it matters what you ride, you just need to put in lots of k's and elevation to have a successful Kona Odyssey experience.

Cheers,
John
+1

Nice post John. Your son is a gun!

Cheers, Jim

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Coaster,

I run 32:18 on my SIR9 fully rigid.....<snip>......

Cheers,
John
That's a great response, thanks John. I'm keen to know half through the thought (dream) of doing it one day but also just getting a real appreciation of what you guys have achieved. A sincere congratulations to you all.

As part of my training for the OO I rode a hill very much like Wild Dog on my single speed. I could do it but not sure if I could the 40 or 50 more hills after it!!! Then all those pinch climbs in the ST after red carpet. Oh well, the challenge is there, might put the anthem away for a while!

I'm impressed with both times, it's quite a family outing!!! Better tell your son to harden up and go fully rigid next year :)

I know the Smiths Gully ride you're talking about so will try that puppy at some time on my single speed for a bit of fun :nevreness:

Thanks for the response. Always keen to know a bit more about things!!!

Cheers,

Coaster

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
John's on the money for sure Coaster. I ran 32:17 on my rigid 29er and whilst I did the race in 6:11, I suffered needlessly, having to walk a lot more stuff (due to fatigue and cramps) than I did last year when I ran 33:19. 32:19 would have been a much smarter choice.

I probably ride on average just over once per week, but they're usually pretty good value kms.

ps. If I'm not mistaken, John's son did run rigid this year I think, with a Niner carbon fork.

fatarseracing

Likes Bikes
go figure!

John's on the money for sure Coaster. I ran 32:17 on my rigid 29er and whilst I did the race in 6:11, I suffered needlessly, having to walk a lot more stuff (due to fatigue and cramps) than I did last year when I ran 33:19. 32:19 would have been a much smarter choice.

I probably ride on average just over once per week, but they're usually pretty good value kms.

ps. If I'm not mistaken, John's son did run rigid this year I think, with a Niner carbon fork.
i made the same mistake this year too! last year i ran 32:18 on my 26er fully rigid (im not that fit!)and this year i ran 32:17 but with 100mm forks (with a lockout of course) whilst i only do the 50km shorty and it doesn't sound like much i rode nearly all the climbs last year but this year i walked 3 !!! and i would say my fitness is exactly the same!

as far as training goes i do short stuff @ high intensity....im time poor!....a mate i know trains 'long and soft' and im fitter than him!and he knows it!

it seems the single speeders have hijacked this thread!

Chromo

Squid

Hey Coaster, I did the Shorty on my S/S and there wasn't much left in the tank at the end. I ran 33:20 and would have been in trouble with anything higher. For reference, I believe that 'The Padawan' (an elite S/S racer from Canberra) runs 32:20 on some of the tougher enduro courses. 32:18 would be fine for a shorter ride with less elevation. Given that I only did the 50km, I'll defer to the other posters on how to train but I'd agree that regular climbing practice is essential.

Those hardy souls who did the 100km on singlespeeds deserve medals or mandatory psychiatric assessments - I'm not sure which. The riders who did it with 32:17 gearing or more deserve a special mention - this is not achievable for mere mortals. My advice, for what it's worth, is to gear down a bit and stay in the vicinity of 46 - 50 gear inches.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all the replies guys. Curiosity killed the Coaster so to say. My SS is my training and muck around bike, but seeing all the guys soldier on makes me want to try an event on it. Luckily I have a good mate Tbay who is itching to ride as a team of 2 on his rigid SS 29'er (that is a bit of fishing there, will he bite?).

I suffered needlessly....... <snip>
That made me laugh out loud at work Stevob! Could almost be an Otway motto!!!