VIC 2012 Kona (Otway) Odyssey

^dave

Likes Bikes
I would be very interested to hear more about the 2nd group of 50km starters. I heard the 'marshall stuff up' story thrown around, but a friend in this group also mentioned they didn't go as far up Kaanglang Rd as we did - skipping the climb to the Quarry Loop at the top. I wondered if perhaps the altered course was on purpose, to try and prevent riders from the first group coming down Red Carpet having to cross paths with the second group coming up Kaanlang Rd where the two intersect?
Nup, we had an event organizer come up behind us in a car and explain that a marshall had misdirected us all. I think the altered course resulted in a few extra k's but also cut out a few k's of climbing at the start so no harm done.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Done for 2012, tough day as expected. 3rd time this year

Goal was 5:15, and top 30 overall

Result 5:23 and 25th overall

Started the race well and sat in a good spot up most of the climb, pretty aggressive with lots of bumping and wheel rubbing until the hill sloped upwards. Cleared the KOM 10seconds better than my target. The leaders made a move just before the top so once again the groups split for the next section. Rolled by myself for the next 5k, making a bit of a gap on the next group. Then all of the sudden I hear my chain slapping against the chainstay, no tension in the chain. Fine if I am pedalling but soon as I freewheel the chain is slack. Drop the chain a few times and stuff around with the derailleur. No luck, so ride the next 10k switching down to a lower gear when freewheeling to get some chain tension. Finally get caught by a few guys so decide to stop and sort the derailleur. Something clicks back in and it's all good again. Catch the guys up through noonday

Now red carpet, ran a 10:46 earlier in the year so wanted to hit it hard and target at least 11:30 with tired legs. Caught two 100k riders quickly, and passed them on the climb. Then the 2nd wave 50k riders started to be caught, most were friendly and happily let me pass. Turns out I was spot on 11:30 for the descent which is looking good for a top 10 time overall

456, started to feel good again and caught a few more riders, then passed 3rd place women at the time, then caught 2nd place, came to the A/B rollover log at the end of track 5 and she let me take the A to pass hit it sideways way too fast and landed front wheel first, straight OTB bike cartwheeling down the hill. Few grazes but feeling ok, check the bike and the seat is 90degrees and vertical. The rails are bent no the seat clamp is barely holding on with 1 side. The seat was a spare after breaking another seat at the Ballarat 6hr last week!
Managed to untighten the seat enough to get it reasonably straight, but looking at it now it's still pretty wonky

Struggle through to the football ground, getting passed by a few riders. Start to feel ok again after mariners, but the wonky seat is starting to get annoying, slipping forward all the time. Get through all the ST feeling OK, not passed by anyone else but feeling pretty slow by now

Now the final grind, feeling OK but halfway through I can see a few groups gaining on me. Hold on most of the way but I am caught by about 6 riders on the last few climbs of britneys meltdown. The descent is awesome, but the legs are even cramping standing up on the descent. Riding Sledgehammer is not an option, the legs are not having a second of it make it to the first rutted section and almost fall off with double cramps and get passed by a couple more riders walking the rest. Looking at the times 2mins is lost here alone between riding it and walking it

Roll over the line happy to be done. Only beat my 2011 time by 5mins, but I think the extra road sections last year made a much faster and easier track even with the mud. Defiantly didn't do enough 5hrs+ training, with more focus on shorter stuff lately.

There's always next year, it's funny how quickly you forget the pain of the moment.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Driving back home to Torquay this arvo from a weekend in melbourne I saw so so many XC bikes on cars with race plates... How many riders does the event attract?

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Driving back home to Torquay this arvo from a weekend in melbourne I saw so so many XC bikes on cars with race plates... How many riders does the event attract?
1774 entered in all 3 distances this year, it's capped at 1800 I think

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
Great result Ben, I got in just behind you.
I didn't quite get all the results I wanted, but I did get two goals.
I managed to start the last loop before the winner finished.
I was less than an hour down on Lachie.
I was less than two minutes off a top 20...
My legs were dead on Red Carpet so not my best result there.
I soon realised that <5 hours was based on the wet course so not too fussed about that one.

Very painful race for me, heart rate through the roof, legs spent too early, stomach cramps and broken chain. But I doubt I could've gone much faster.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done Ben. The OO is all about persevering through all the crap that comes up and your 2012 story is proof.

I saw so many people crash (some comical), deal with mechanicals etc. It's always a bit of a giggle when you can spot a rider ahead coming to a stop due to a bad cramp. :) a few minutes later and you're coping with your own. I rode behind a guy that seized and fell twice in a space of minutes. To his credit he just kept going.

The group of dirt bike riders on britney's meltdown pissed me off.

peej

Squid
This was my 3rd year of doing the 50k, and I was in the 2nd group that went up the Thompson's track loop. My mates & I reckon even though it was a mistake this was a better option. I just love that single track descent even if it means walking up the 'sledgy'. The 2nd group of the 50k was larger in size and that climb really helped separate the crowd, and there was nowhere near the holdups that we experienced last year on Red Carpet. I reckon this route should be considered for next years ride.

Only bummer was not doing the run into Kang quarry & more of Red Carpet, but that was understandable as I would hate to be making my way down red carpet and be in the way of the 100k elite guys.

To those not happy about the size of the 50k field, maybe it's time to step up & do the 100k, that is what I'll be aiming for next year

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Care to expand?

I would have expected some volunteer marshalls up there to prevent using that track?

Roland
Roland, they were a group of 4. They rode past me (and a few more riders) twice. Once on Britney's and then near the Sledgehammer.

RoscoeP

Likes Bikes
Defiantly didn't do enough 5hrs+ training, with more focus on shorter stuff lately.
I think 2.5 hours was my longest continuous ride... I think I would have no family to come home to if was out for that long!

And as it stands I am getting no sympathy from the wife for my pain.

But everyone else here does.

From me, not my wife, that is.

Exie

Likes Dirt
I've heard quite a few story's of mechanical issues.

What gives ?! Seats, tubes, wheels, bars, chains, pedals, forks, derailleur's how does so much go wrong ...

No wonder the single speeders have an advantage! I feel guilty to report my bike was flawless. I should have swapped with someone who had some talent! haha

seb710

Likes Bikes
Great stories of success on the thread. My story is one of personal disappointment. I had a time that I wanted to reach based on last year. I had completed what I thought was enough training to hit that target. The target was 6.15 or less. The first 50 was under control and going to plan on time and no real issues, through the 67km point and out to the 20km loop, hit the small incline at the beginning and my heart rate hit high 90% and I could not bring it down had to get off the bike and slow everything down, back in but everytime my heart rate went past 80% I felt like throwing up so this slowed my progress through the loop. Got to the oval and knew what the next 13km was like, filled my bottles and into hell. Got to the gates of Britneys meltdown and the second hill brought on my second physical meltdown, heart rate through the roof and stomach wanting to throw everything up. Stopped, drank, stopped drank, inhaled dust from the moto boys and struggled on, thankful for the decent, sledgehammer walk and then the ride back to the oval. Time 7.04. Dissapointed with the time and effort. Shitty all night last night, today cleaned bike (twice) and started plotting 2012. Had given the bike away at the 78km mark they were all sold, wondering way I do this. After my day of reflection am now booked for Avoca & Dirtworks.
Highlights: noonday decent, j2(unexpected), mariners, the common hurt found with fellow MTBers, not sure who he was but the guy with the prosletic leg riding as hard as anyone one hard mother & the vibe At that the finish line. Looking forward to 2013 OO.

pretendingtoride

Likes Bikes
50km

I started mountain biking a few months ago when a buddy of mine convinced me to enter this race. I'm not the fittest of people, slightly overweight, but I decided that I'd give this a go as a part of losing weight, getting fit, and taking up a hobbie that gives me an adrenalin rush.

I loved the whole day! Getting down their the night before, meeting new folks, talking about bikes (none of my mates locally ride)... Woke up at 0600 on Saturday with butterflies, nervousness, excitement, the lot!

I wanted to just finish, but I did have a time in mind, less than 5 hours (gotta start somewhere)... I was a part of the second wave that got lost... There were some pretty steep climbs in that first 8kms, the flowy descent when we were being put on the right track was good fun, the sledgehammer was a beast! 25kms in and I felt pretty good, was tired but was on target for just sub 5 hours. At 40kms I got terrible cramping in both my quads and hammy above my knees, got off walked a it and it seemed to sort itself out. The Yo-yo and the horse track we were on around the 45km mark with that mental hill broke me, I was exhausted by that point, my descents slowed and so did my average speed.

I definately took away things that I want to work on. Hill climbing - I was getting passed on the uphill fire tails but was then passing people on the downhill sections. Working on my lines going into bends to allow me to maintain speed through the bend and power out. Find some new trails that have more hills and challenge me more!

An awesome day, I'm proud that I finished, already planning for next year and trying to find more 50k races this year to enter! I loved the race element too, wasn't sure about it initially, but even though I was toward the last third of the pack, I was trying to catch and pass the dude in front of me! A great event well organised and made all the better by the friendly folks out on the trails!

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt

What gives ?! Seats, tubes, wheels, bars, chains, pedals, forks, derailleur's how does so much go wrong ...

No wonder the single speeders have an advantage! I feel guilty to report my bike was flawless. I should have swapped with someone who had some talent! haha
Lots of broken chains from riders who didn't take the time to add some lube at the football ground, including Red Racer who "ran" into 5th spot overall.

I had a full bottle of lube in the toolbox at the start of the day which is now empty due to the many "got any lube" requests from riders in transition.

Also glad that RoscoeP found a new seat. Sorry, not much we could do with a seat with one rail completely missing, glad the KONA guys found one to get you through

Roland

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
So they added more hills to help relieve congestion. great. NOT. Too many people in the 50km now. Makes for a day of constant passing. Not so much fun. I much prefer the 50km in the Forrest Festival. Less people, more single track, and more woop wooping fun! :) Third year doing the 50km and I wont be coming back next year.
I tend to agree about the rider quota in the 50km. I'm not so sure about next year... bring it back to 600 and more staggered starts(?). Then again, there is the FF.

Constant passing, if only. There is not a lot of room to pass in some of those tracks in the second 25 when there is a procession of 20+ going along.

NP, sorry about the climb. Better luck next year. Last year's must have been shorter. My Garmin said it was under 50 this year.

Great thread and a great read of all the stories, even the disappointments. You only lose if you don't try. Keep up the good work.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I have to admit that my bike was flawless also. The only thing I could have done was apply some chain lube at the 87k mark, because it was starting to creak, and I had every intention of doing so, but forgot in the rush to get food in. Didn't matter in the end anyway. Gave away my only spare tube before the road section, and I hope it helped the fella I gave it to.

I only felt the need for suspension maybe a couple of times during the faster downhill sections Noonday & West Barwon tracks. The dust made it a little difficult to spot the sharper dips sometimes which in turn made full use of the amount of travel in my arms and legs. Got a fair amount of unexpected air too which the El Mariachi handled brilliantly. That bike just loves fast single track.

Back to my normal gearing (33:19) for next year.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keen to compare split times. The live timing site doesn't allow you to do that. Last year you could see where you ranked on a particular split.

Anyone got a solution?

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Keen to compare split times. The live timing site doesn't allow you to do that. Last year you could see where you ranked on a particular split.

Anyone got a solution?
They will upload the official results eventually, the live timing is just temporary I think

I'm a bit of a newbie and had a crack at the 100km as a hardcore mate dragged me into it (he finished 64th overall as a 45 year old). Unfortunately I listened to too many tales of woe and pain in this board - I took it too easy. No cramping or physical issues for me and although I hadn't done the hill training or enough long rides I rode pretty consistently and picked up a heap of spots during the day.

Came through the KOM after 8km in about 450th position and passed people continuously ending up 264th in about 6.51. Started too far back as on a lot of the climbs I'd come around the corner and run up the bum of a hoarde of people walking and have nowhere to go.

Had no idea of what time I'd do so I'll take the 6.51 and I guess when I come back next time and hit a wet track I'll understand what the tales of woe and pain are all about!