2012 World 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships - Intense Battle

akashra

Eats Squid
The UCI don't own cycling. If organising clubs and promoters choose to run a format of event under another sanctioning body, that's their prerogative, and it doesn't make it any less valid than if it were a UCI event. An event shouldn't be shunned just because the UCI doesn't have their grubby little fingers in it. It'd be like the AFL going off and having the "Football World Championships", when 98% of the world recognises FIFA and the code it runs under - which is exactly why it's the "AFL International Cup".
The point is that a larger number of people and organisers recognise one or another event as being the key one, and that one individual promotor doesn't nominate themselves.

WEMBO are doing the thing, and the event is titled the "WEMBO World Solo 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships", just as the UCI event is the "UCI <format> World Championships".
24 Sports are trying to go above this and have jumped from one year being the "24 Hours of Adrenaline World Championships" to the "24 Hour World MTB Championships" just because a unified, competitor event came along. It's not, and remains the "24HOA WC". They can call it the Chess World Championships for all I care, that alone doesn't make it so.

You only need to historically look at what happens any time two major bodies clash with each other for significance - take Baseball's National League and American League, Indy's Champ Car and IRL, or Rugby's League vs Union.

MBPL

Banned
Wsc

WSC, Stu Dorland's event has, as long as I have competed in them and followed them, had this as part of their name = World Solo Championships = WSC. Certainly it had a headline name to create excitement, and as a marketing label it worked that is 24 Hours of Adrenalin.

Last edited:

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Damn I would feel so ripped off if I won this race and it's name just happened to be changed to make people confuse it with another race with a similar name, that would make me feel like such a loser. NOT!!!

Anyone else want to move on yet?

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
Global Heroes include English and others...

Epic Battle Guaranteed Between Global Heroes at World 24 Hour Championships (W24C/WSC)

ENTRIES ALREADY RECEIVED FROM GERMANY, ITALY, UNITED KINGDOM,
DENMARK, COSTA RICA, BRAZIL, ECUADOR, PORTUGAL, AUSTRALIA,
NEW ZEALAND, SOUTH AFRICA, CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES

Read Full Press Release, including other global hero's attending... Click Link.

http://www.24hoursofadrenalin.com/w...epic-battle-guaranteed-between-global-heroes/

English to defend his World Title in Canmore September 14 - 16, 2012

W24C 2012 #2.jpg

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Global Heroes, but...

Just once it would be great to see a media release that gave equal coverage to both sexes. Last time I checked, we rode for 24 hours and on the same track, so it's not like we get it any easier, or we ride on a modified course, for less time and the bumps are smoothed out for us. Or isn't there a female category this time?

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
The press release is not about males or females, unless you happen to know that the defending female WSC champion is coming out of retirement then your observation above is ......... biased, ignorant, unfair to Stu and sexist (gotta expect that considering the ulteria motives behind post in the thread - CORC etc) and demonstrates why the term misogynist is a label that seems to be getting much more publicity.

Read the press release it is about defending champions - in the outright elite category.
I did read the press release, which is why I know its about Jason as the current champ, Tinker as a previous champ, Kelly who hasn't won it previously, Josh who hasn't won it previously, Cory who hasn't won it previously, and Leighton from a home town perspective. All males, not all of whom are defending champs.

My comment was based on why there wasn't any coverage of any of the female riders. Why wasn't there coverage of Eszter Horanyi? Andrea Kuster? Any of the local riders? Why can't there be coverage of any upcoming female riders who can now take the crown? How does it make me sexist if I make a point about there being no mention of female riders with regards to the first paragraph that highlights there are 12 countries involved? Can there really be no females from 12 countries who are worthy of a mention in the outright elite category?

So, unless we are praising Stu on what he does 100% of the time, we can't provide feedback on what hasn't happened? For all I know, Stu could be preparing a press release in the same vein as the one already submitted on women. So I may be ignorant through the lack of knowledge that Stu is providing, how is this my fault? He is the keeper of the knowledge. He is the one with the current entrants, he would know how many females are entered, he could have chosen to profile one of these alongside the men.

Obviously being a member of CORC automatically aligns me with everything that has been arranged by a club member. Are you automatically "tainted" with the same brush for what your club members do? Does being a member of the same club mean that I can't put forward my opinion? I'd say the same thing to Russ or to any promoter of a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP event.

And being female I can't comment about the lack of female representation we receive in media? Sorry, should I go back to the kitchen and bake you a pie? Perhaps prepare your paper, scotch and slippers and leave the mountain to you?

As I said in my original post, we ride the same course, the same time and suffer the same as you. We also have to battle with those who believe we shouldn't be in their way on the mountain due to our sex.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I did read the press release, which is why I know its about Jason as the current champ, Tinker as a previous champ, Kelly who hasn't won it previously, Josh who hasn't won it previously, Cory who hasn't won it previously, and Leighton from a home town perspective. All males, not all of whom are defending champs.

My comment was based on why there wasn't any coverage of any of the female riders. Why wasn't there coverage of Eszter Horanyi? Andrea Kuster? Any of the local riders? Why can't there be coverage of any upcoming female riders who can now take the crown? How does it make me sexist if I make a point about there being no mention of female riders with regards to the first paragraph that highlights there are 12 countries involved? Can there really be no females from 12 countries who are worthy of a mention in the outright elite category?

So, unless we are praising Stu on what he does 100% of the time, we can't provide feedback on what hasn't happened? For all I know, Stu could be preparing a press release in the same vein as the one already submitted on women. So I may be ignorant through the lack of knowledge that Stu is providing, how is this my fault? He is the keeper of the knowledge. He is the one with the current entrants, he would know how many females are entered, he could have chosen to profile one of these alongside the men.

Obviously being a member of CORC automatically aligns me with everything that has been arranged by a club member. Are you automatically "tainted" with the same brush for what your club members do? Does being a member of the same club mean that I can't put forward my opinion? I'd say the same thing to Russ or to any promoter of a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP event.

And being female I can't comment about the lack of female representation we receive in media? Sorry, should I go back to the kitchen and bake you a pie? Perhaps prepare your paper, scotch and slippers and leave the mountain to you?

As I said in my original post, we ride the same course, the same time and suffer the same as you. We also have to battle with those who believe we shouldn't be in their way on the mountain due to our sex.
Hi Kris... now I know I don't have to tell you how much I support females of any persuasion of MTB let alone 24 hour female mtb racing. The 2010 World champs was an awesome event... however it was made even more "awesomera" by the women's race. The 2010 Women's field was a staggering 40% of the male elite field. This is still (to my knowledge) the best elite field ever in terms of percentage against the male elite field.

WSC has always done a very good job of promoting women. When Rebecca Rusch was the dominant force she was she was always given equal billing if not more billing that the male equivalent.

However, I do agree with you that the promotion currently does focus solely on the male field. You will know as I do, that this is the "default" amongst virtually all event promotors, not just in the MTB arena too.

So, it's our job to make sure we keep all event promotors (myself included) accountable when they fall short of the mark in regards to female promotion.

Now it's possible that the women's field hasn't yet been organised...

As for the whole "WEMBO" vs WSC debate here's my take.

WEMBO has stepped up to ensure the continuation of elite 24 hour competition at the highest level. Bravo!
WSC has now announced another event to continue their awesome record of providing high quality events.

I've expressed my views to both organisers... I think it's very unfortunate that WSC didn't announce a 2011 event at the presentations of 2010.

I've also suggested to WEMBO people that it would be unfortunate if the WSC events weren't included into the new mix.

However, here's what I think will happen. 24 hour solo racing at the highest level will get another "much needed" boost... and bring it to the front of the sport of MTB.

24 Hour solo racing is freekin awesome. I love it, I miss it... Let's hope that the "New World Order" will result in a vibrant and healthy sport.

Oh and one other thing, UCI doesn't even deserve a mention in this whole topic, they are no more relevant to this topic than the North Coburg Bridge club is.

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
Hi Kris... now I know I don't have to tell you how much I support females of any persuasion of MTB let alone 24 hour female mtb racing. The 2010 World champs was an awesome event... however it was made even more "awesomera" by the women's race. The 2010 Women's field was a staggering 40% of the male elite field. This is still (to my knowledge) the best elite field ever in terms of percentage against the male elite field.

WSC has always done a very good job of promoting women. When Rebecca Rusch was the dominant force she was she was always given equal billing if not more billing that the male equivalent.

However, I do agree with you that the promotion currently does focus solely on the male field. You will know as I do, that this is the "default" amongst virtually all event promotors, not just in the MTB arena too.

So, it's our job to make sure we keep all event promotors (myself included) accountable when they fall short of the mark in regards to female promotion.

Now it's possible that the women's field hasn't yet been organised...

As for the whole "WEMBO" vs WSC debate here's my take.

WEMBO has stepped up to ensure the continuation of elite 24 hour competition at the highest level. Bravo!
WSC has now announced another event to continue their awesome record of providing high quality events.

I've expressed my views to both organisers... I think it's very unfortunate that WSC didn't announce a 2011 event at the presentations of 2010.

I've also suggested to WEMBO people that it would be unfortunate if the WSC events weren't included into the new mix.

However, here's what I think will happen. 24 hour solo racing at the highest level will get another "much needed" boost... and bring it to the front of the sport of MTB.

24 Hour solo racing is freekin awesome. I love it, I miss it... Let's hope that the "New World Order" will result in a vibrant and healthy sport.

Oh and one other thing, UCI doesn't even deserve a mention in this whole topic, they are no more relevant to this topic than the North Coburg Bridge club is.
Couldn't have said any of this any better. Well put!!!

jean5614

Likes Dirt
The press release is not about males or females, unless you happen to know that the defending female WSC champion is coming out of retirement then your observation above is ......... biased, ignorant, unfair to Stu and sexist (gotta expect that considering the ulteria motives behind post in the thread - CORC etc) and demonstrates why the term misogynist is a label that seems to be getting much more publicity.

Read the press release it is about defending champions - in the outright elite category.
Maybe you should go back and read what this person had to say. Carefully. What are these words that you use, biased, ignorant, unfair and sexist. None of them apply to what she has said or how she said them. If you had read a release about a whole swathe of female riders, you would have felt the same way, but given the manner in which you have hithertoo expressed yourself, your articulation of those feelings would have been more likely to be a rant of some small coherence, rather than the more dignified exposition of the facts that was made by her. I am not a current member of CORC but I am not ashamed to say that I have been and will so be in the future. Jack:02.47-tranquillity:

macboy

Likes Dirt
Dude, I think you need to get off the computer and get out on the bike. Stu is a big boy and can take care of himself. You are just arguing for the sake of arguing now. Someone could say something's blue and you'll say it's red. Then they could agree with you and say that it is indeed red, but you'll then say it's not red enough or that it needs to be purple! Disagreeing and contradicting for the sake of it is not making conversation.

Oh, and don't pm me again trying to get support against other people here on the forum, in particular people in this thread. That's bad form. It's a forum, if you put something up here it open to comment, right or wrong, that's just the way it is. Of course I am no doubt wrong, and I soon wait to be corrected.

And just so you know, I don't belong to any mtb club and I too did the 2010 also (gee aren't I a hero!!) and it is one of my fondest memories. So I am in no way an anti 24HoA person.

JessD

Likes Dirt
just ride

Only been watching this thread for a couple of days.
WEMBO & 24hrs of Adrenaline both have the same goal to my knowledge - run successful 24hr events for people who wish to race or ride them.
Both have passionate people behind the organisation and if you want to get a World Class experience, then race them both.

I am not sure why I am actually writing this as every now and again I just feel the urge to remind people that, Yes this is a forum for you to say your piece, but has the internet and social media forums taken away our manners and our humanitarian spirit?
I challenge you to ask "healthy" questions, ones that will get answered to assist others visiting the forum or perhaps offer "constructive" criticism to better assist the organiser/s in their communication.

We are all often misunderstood but I am a true believer that 99.9% of people really want the best for others and wish to be treated fairly.
I think this could possibly cover many topics on Rotorburn. Just because its on the internet and you have a bit anonymity does not mean you have to lose your humanity.

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
how far will you go in 2012?

A very happy new year to all our friends in Australia - New Zealand.

We wish you the very best for the incoming year...

Happy New Year 2012!.jpg

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
International rider number increase

Another strong week as riders look to formalize schedules for 2012.

Thanks to all the riders from Australia and and a few from New Zealand who have already made plans to be at the World 24 Hour MTB Championships.

Could be the largest ever group attending from Australia.

Additional riders from Germany and Switzerland confirmed as well. That makes 13 countries already.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited: