2013 Golden Triangle Epic 28th April

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
Whenever I closed my eyes last night, all I could see was singletrack. I couldn't stop riding, even in my dreams!
It was a great event though and every bit as tough as any other Victorian marathon, even if it doesn't have as much climbing as some. Although getting up Mount Herbert was always a challenge.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Whenever I closed my eyes last night, all I could see was singletrack. I couldn't stop riding, even in my dreams!
It was a great event though and every bit as tough as any other Victorian marathon, even if it doesn't have as much climbing as some. Although getting up Mount Herbert was always a challenge.
Mount Herbert, is that what that big steep loose mountain thing out the back of the course is called. I thought it was called something completely different!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Mount Herbert, is that what that big steep loose mountain thing out the back of the course is called. I thought it was called something completely different!
Yeah, I had some names for it while I was climbing it, definately nothing as flattering as 'herbert'!!

Great day, really well run and I absolutely loved that it was easily 90% rugged trails/tracks. Knocked 2hours off my time from 2yrs ago too so pretty happy with myself aswell :D

While I was stoked with the whole event, my wife raised a valid point about the novice race though, running it so long after everyone else was a little misguided I think. I know they want the track to be as spread out and traffic free as possible, but she had to wait 2.5 hours after my start for her own ride, that was only half an hour from my mediocre finish time. Anyway, I'll let them know on the feedback form and its the only negative I can muster, it was an entirely awesome event otherwise

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
here is the result that were emailed out.
some very high average speeds in results what sort of metres climbed per loop? - and you did 20+k average for 160k, better check the bike for a motor me thinks.

MJG

Likes Dirt
some very high average speeds in results what sort of metres climbed per loop? - and you did 20+k average for 160k, better check the bike for a motor me thinks.
For 3 laps I got around 2300 m, thus 2300/3 = 767 m climbed per lap.

slowanddim

Likes Bikes
Huge Thanks

A massive thanks to the man on microphone who lent me his bike after I had an early mechanical problem.
He let me use his training bike so I didnt just have to sit round waiting for my mate to finish (and money)

Mountain bikers are an amazing breed.
Cheers Bendigo MTB club. Was a great event

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Climbing was around 950mts per lap and distance was 48.50 kms. In total I had 145.55kms with 2846mts. I know Shane Roberts and Scott Blade had similar figures as we spoke about it after the race, being a longer track than Shane rode last year.

If there is a motor found,I wasn't looking very hard in the last lap when I was trying to peg back Shane because l didn't find one!

johndh

Likes Dirt
Curious did the riders measure the distance using their Garmin and from the GPS? As I rode it on a mtb and got just on 50 km per lap? No saying it's speedo is correct.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Oh there are some high speed sections and if you look at jack haigs overall time and average for the full epic eg 2 laps he averaged well up near 26km hr

Last edited:

MJG

Likes Dirt
Curious did the riders measure the distance using their Garmin and from the GPS? As I rode it on a mtb and got just on 50 km per lap? No saying it's speedo is correct.
My GPS-measured distance (satellite only, no wheel magnet) was in accord with quiggs' and Robbo's values - 145.9 km for 3 laps, including the say 100 m from finish line to carpark.
For 2012 it was 135 km for 3 laps.

johndh

Likes Dirt
My experiences with recording distances from the GPS eg I have had a Garmin for years, is that they are not accurate that is why they give a wheel speed recording on them.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
John I also have had a Garmin for 5+ yrs and find that if a signal is to be lost it shows an on screen msg of "satellite signal lost". I for one have never had this occur on the mtb trails, only when trying to get a signal in the depth of the CBD in btw buildings does the gps signal struggle to be found. I for one aren't trying to start an argument, someone here asked the question on distances and we answered.

quiggs

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Distance discrepancies

One reason I had explained to me for the difference in measured distances is that some GPS units do not take into account all the ups and downs of the trail. They do measure some of the gains but on a course with lots of little pinches they can miss a fair bit. A wheel measurement, properly calibrated will always provide a more accurate measurement than a bike GPS.
The other factor is the speed that a rider is travelling. The faster you are travelling, the greater the distance between between GPS readings. Think of how fast you were riding on some sections with lots of bumps. If the unit is only measuring every 3 seconds then any changes in vertical gain in that 3 seconds will be recorded as only one vertical change. It may not seem like much, but can add up to several kms over the entire course. The wheel measurement will still record the total distance that it has traveled.
I Did a ride on most of the Epic course a few weeks ago with a few mates (we skipped Mt Herbert). The Garmin 500 measured 36.? km while my Garmin 62s measured 38.2km and the speedo on the bike measured 39.5kms.
I`ll take an analogue distance measurement over a standard digital GPS measurement any day.
Hope this helps clear up the distance thing a bit.
Cheers
MH

MJG

Likes Dirt
My experiences with recording distances from the GPS eg I have had a Garmin for years, is that they are not accurate that is why they give a wheel speed recording on them.
I'm guessing this occurs during MTB rides when some corners are "rounded off" by the relatively infrequent data sampling. When GPS units can record more frequent data points, say a few times each second, then there shouldn't be as big a discrepancy. This implies that those who ride a course very slowly get a more accurate distance measurement...an interesting experiment to try later on a twisty course.

On straighter courses e.g. long road rides with only the occasional corner, the GPS-measured distances are quite accurate. Try riding (or driving for the MTB purist?) along a rural freeway and see how your GPS-measured distance compares with the distance to next big town signs that appear every 5 km, or the 1 km apart ones that are simply black numbers on the white posts. You'll find you get them being remarkably close to 5 and 1 km apart respectively.

Last edited:

johndh

Likes Dirt
I was seeking feedback from someone who rode the track using the wheel magnet to compare it to using the GPS.