2013 Golden Triangle Epic 28th April

johndh

Likes Dirt
2014 GTE RECON / SOCIAL RIDE Don't forget our club social ride on Monday the 10th - this time with two options 50k - full lap of the 2014 GTE track, or 15-20k circuit Monday 10th of March 9.00am at Wattle Dr spring gully.

With less than 2 weeks until the Golden Triangle Epic now is the perfect opportunity to squeeze in some last minute training. www.goldentriangleepic.com.

OT

Likes Dirt
2014 GTE RECON / SOCIAL RIDE Don't forget our club social ride on Monday the 10th - this time with two options 50k - full lap of the 2014 GTE track, or 15-20k circuit Monday 10th of March 9.00am at Wattle Dr spring gully.

With less than 2 weeks until the Golden Triangle Epic now is the perfect opportunity to squeeze in some last minute training. www.goldentriangleepic.com.
I haven't ridden any of the trails in the area, can you give me an idea of how technical they are? The only bike I have that is suitable for long distance xc is a cyclocross bike. I've managed to fit a 29*1.95 tyre on the front and a 42c on the back which helps with rock gardens etc. However tracks like Lactic acid and Boulder at the youies are a bit dicey and I wouldn't want to race on them, Lysterfield and forrest type tracks are fine.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
[SUB][/SUB]
I haven't ridden any of the trails in the area, can you give me an idea of how technical they are? The only bike I have that is suitable for long distance xc is a cyclocross bike. I've managed to fit a 29*1.95 tyre on the front and a 42c on the back which helps with rock gardens etc. However tracks like Lactic acid and Boulder at the youies are a bit dicey and I wouldn't want to race on them, Lysterfield and forrest type tracks are fine.
Not a suitable bike, unless you a sponsored by a bandage and bike tube companies

OT

Likes Dirt
[SUB][/SUB]

Not a suitable bike, unless you a sponsored by a bandage and bike tube companies
So it's much more technical, with lots of rock gardens, compared to forrest or lysterfield? More like Buller? I'm running stans ironcross wheels tubeless so tubes aren't an issue but I don't want to punish myself on an extremely rocky course.

I'm doing the Otway Odyssey 100 and am looking for another marathon to do on the cx bike. The forrest trails are fine, no rock gardens and relatively easy trails, mainly worried about the 2350m of climbing.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I'm doing the Otway Odyssey 100 and am looking for another marathon to do on the cx bike. The forrest trails are fine, no rock gardens and relatively easy trails, mainly worried about the 2350m of climbing.
considered the Wombat 100? I did both the 50km OO and Wombat last year and felt they were similar in terms of technical skills required (i.e. low). The Wombat doesn't have as much climbing as the OO either.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
So it's much more technical, with lots of rock gardens, compared to forrest or lysterfield? More like Buller? I'm running stans ironcross wheels tubeless so tubes aren't an issue but I don't want to punish myself on an extremely rocky course.

It's not that it is more technical, but the Bendigo region is known for having razor sharp rocks that aren't forgiving for rider error or misjudgement! The major factor is it's a 50km loop in the middle of now where with limited marshalled points so if you get stuck it's a looong way out or to help and with small number of entrants there could possibly be a significant period of time between seeing riders on the track that would be able to help a fellow mtber out.

As far as the tubeless goes, I remember a few years ago 2 reasonable riders of mtbs (Andrew Bell & Ben Randall) decided to do a race at Redesdale on their CX bikes and after one lap (17kms) and 5 or 6 punctures between them they decided that it was probably a bit of a silly idea! And they started on tubeless setups.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, because there is sections of the loop that are double track and a CX bike would be the idea weapon for the speed, but the trails aren't smooth and buff like lysterfield or the Yaugher region of Forest, but closer to the rockiness of the southern end of Forest but with much sharper rocks

hope that helps
quiggs

OT

Likes Dirt
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, because there is sections of the loop that are double track and a CX bike would be the idea weapon for the speed, but the trails aren't smooth and buff like lysterfield or the Yaugher region of Forest, but closer to the rockiness of the southern end of Forest but with much sharper rocks

hope that helps
quiggs
Thanks. No your not raining on my parade, I know the limitations of what I can do on a cx bike. I just needed some idea of the type of tracks at bendigo. My mtb is a banshee rampant, great for more technical riding than you will find on any xc track but not really much fun on long xc rides. The cx bike is great for riding to lysterfield rather than driving and is more fun on the trails than my mtb. It's the only way I can make lysterfield interesting to ride.

I'll look at doing the you yangs 6 hour race and the wombat 100 instead.

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
There sould be about 3 of us from the GVMTBC coming over Monday morning to join you all for a 50km lap. Looking forward too it

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Weekend weather in Bendigo looks a bit wet. Saturday has 10-20mm forecast and Sunday has 5-10mm. How well do the tracks hold up out there?

johndh

Likes Dirt
It is that dry here at present that 200mm might make some mud, but 20mm on Saturday will make the trails less dusty and very fast and "grippy", 5 mm on Sunday at 20deg will help to cool riders down.

Stew41

Likes Bikes
It is that dry here at present that 200mm might make some mud, but 20mm on Saturday will make the trails less dusty and very fast and "grippy", 5 mm on Sunday at 20deg will help to cool riders down.
Totally agree. Was very impressed with the track (ridden yesterday) but super powdery in sections and the dust will be something else race day without some rain.

johndh

Likes Dirt
This year the gte is giving away $20000 worth of prizes including $7000 cash from andies earth moving and Kia australia, this will be spread across the 100km and miler events, with the elite winners men and women taking home $1000. Rubena tyres have given us a stack of tubeless 29er Tyres to give away.
There will be 5 golden passes given away each worth $1100 including stretch Limousin and meals at the local pub to the value of $300, accommodation vouchers, free entry to all club events for 12 months and a set of the clubs new riding gear.
Along with that you get to ride 17km of single trail that has been in the gte previously, yep they have replaced quite a bit of the old rocky and rutted trails.
Just reminder that Online entries are open until Wednesday 12th midnight. On the day registrations are available but cost an extra $20 across all events.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
what is the date and day of this race.

what the date of this race? post above says 28th april.

might be worth posting up a few links for those yet to make a decision.

thanks

monc

Likes Dirt
I was looking for a contact to answer an accommodation question, but there doesn't seem to be one anywhere on the event website (unless I'm blinder than normal).

I've registered for the event and accom, but my +1 just wants accom, as he can't commit to racing until the day (various reasons I won't go into). How can I book him a place at the scout camp?

Thanks

(I'm quietly panicking about my first 100km effort)

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Not doing this race, due to many circumstances. Wife pregnant (and unlike Shane last yr she wouldn't be in a Bendigo hospital if she was to be in labour), haven't trained, injuries, dads milestone bday excuses excuses……… Which has lead me to not keep unto date with track changes and increased sponsorship pool thanks Kia Motors, Andys Earth Movers and Rubena Tyres, but the lack of equality in prize money between the 100 mile and 100 km I find a little insulting and really does discourage riders from stepping up and having a go at the longer distance. The track will be slower than last year due to the increased single track, but will definitely be more enjoyable because of the added single track, plus the little rain it will hopefully get means it will be absolutely perfect for grip and fun times.

Very sad to miss the event and chasing Shane around again!
Quiggs

quiggs

Likes Dirt
I was looking for a contact to answer an accommodation question, but there doesn't seem to be one anywhere on the event website (unless I'm blinder than normal).

I've registered for the event and accom, but my +1 just wants accom, as he can't commit to racing until the day (various reasons I won't go into). How can I book him a place at the scout camp?

Thanks

(I'm quietly panicking about my first 100km effort)
Koolamurt Scout camp
44 Mandurang Rd, Spring Gully VIC 3550
(03) 5441 3881

Give em a call and ask for a single room/Dorm, simple cheap accommodation right at the start line of the track

hope that helps

quiggs

johndh

Likes Dirt
The scout camp won't be able help monc, as the club has booked out the venue, best idea is to turn up early in the afternoon, bookings are taken online when you register, others who turn up are first in, gets it.
The issue of $$ equality between the 100mil and elite 100km is something we need to address, although more $$ was given to the miler last year plus the medallion and product, this year with the increase in numbers (especially in the 50km event) and increased sponsorship the milers and winners of other 100km categories will receive more. Not parity with the elite winners though!!!