2013 Nationals

akashra

Eats Squid
As discount rego expires tonight for the 1st rd at mt buller, who is going?
Couple of things to correct here - Sorry I didn't correct this earlier, I wanted to check and be absolutely sure first.

First up, the discounted entry has now been changed to pre-entry period - that is, if you pre-enter, you'll get the discounted rate, so you haven't missed out. Essentially if you enter on-the-day, you'll be stung for the full price.

Second, which I didn't pick up on, but $170 is the full rate, not the discount rate. I actually only discovered this by going through the rego process myself - but the discounted rate is actually closer to $127.50.

I will raise some concerns with the clarity of this information - which even I had mixed up. It really should be up there in a neon flashing sign :/

As for people going - I've put my hand up to help at the event, but it'll be up to the orgs whether I'm needed. I've decided not to compete in this years series as I may have other commitments of the house-building type that chews too much time - both to commit to getting there and to training or maintaining any level of fitness.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
thanks,

Couple of things to correct here - Sorry I didn't correct this earlier, I wanted to check and be absolutely sure first.

First up, the discounted entry has now been changed to pre-entry period - that is, if you pre-enter, you'll get the discounted rate, so you haven't missed out. Essentially if you enter on-the-day, you'll be stung for the full price.

Second, which I didn't pick up on, but $170 is the full rate, not the discount rate. I actually only discovered this by going through the rego process myself - but the discounted rate is actually closer to $127.50.

I will raise some concerns with the clarity of this information - which even I had mixed up. It really should be up there in a neon flashing sign :/

As for people going - I've put my hand up to help at the event, but it'll be up to the orgs whether I'm needed. I've decided not to compete in this years series as I may have other commitments of the house-building type that chews too much time - both to commit to getting there and to training or maintaining any level of fitness.
hey tim . thanks mate for putting up as much info about the nationals as possible, I have found it quite hard getting info from MTBA and all your posts are very helpful.( PS are west gate crits back on tom night?)

akashra

Eats Squid
hey tim . thanks mate for putting up as much info about the nationals as possible, I have found it quite hard getting info from MTBA and all your posts are very helpful.( PS are west gate crits back on tom night?)
Yep, we'll be out at Westgate tonight in the searing heat. I'm advising the boys to set up a short course, since most people will still be off on holiday and that combined with the heat will scare even more people away - so only expecting a turnout of about 30 or so.

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
Yes, it came as pleasant surprise when I entered the other day

akashra

Eats Squid
On another note, in the past there's been a fee for marquees in the expo/event areas - this year they've waived the fees.
http://mtba.subaru.com.au/pdf/Expo_marquee_booking_formfinal.pdf

There's also the teams competition which has got basically no attention - One Elite/U23 Male, One Elite/U23 Female, one U19/U17/U15 rider (either gender) and one Vet/Masters+ rider (either gender).
It's split in to a trade and clubs competition.

adaib

Likes Dirt
Anyone know where the Champs track goes around Stromlo - is this cardiac and them Hammer head or an alternative..?
Taken direct from the new website:

"Cross Country Course
The Canberra XCO course will involve elements of the World Cup and World Championships course including the revered 'Cardia Climb' and 'Hammerhead'. Easier lines will be provided around these sections to ensure the course is accessible to all comers. The challenging 5km (approx.) course will take riders close to the summit of Mount Stromlo before descending down the fast, flowing 'Luge Trail', renowned for its sweeping bermed corners. The course will offer a mix of everything from fast open fire trails to technical singletrack, ensuring those corwned winners on the day will truley represent Australia's best cross country athletes"

Oldas

Likes Dirt
Taken direct from the new website:

"Cross Country Course
The Canberra XCO course will involve elements of the World Cup and World Championships course including the revered 'Cardia Climb' and 'Hammerhead'. Easier lines will be provided around these sections to ensure the course is accessible to all comers. The challenging 5km (approx.) course will take riders close to the summit of Mount Stromlo before descending down the fast, flowing 'Luge Trail', renowned for its sweeping bermed corners. The course will offer a mix of everything from fast open fire trails to technical singletrack, ensuring those corwned winners on the day will truley represent Australia's best cross country athletes"
I don't suppose given that it sounds like a course has been decided on that there is a map somewhere?

johndh

Likes Dirt
I like the look of the new website and it gives good information about the events, but it says very little about what it offers riders, eg why participate etc, cost of events, what services are available, prizes on offer and basically selling the event to the average rider like me.

felixmtb

Likes Dirt
Number of laps for categories in the XCO race?
I can't seem to find them, but then again I can never seem to find anything.
Help?

akashra

Eats Squid
Don't know at the moment, but race times will be within the ranges specified by the 2011 tech regs for race length/duration.
Lap count is usually something that's more determined based on course conditions on the day. (eg, if it buckets down with rain and lap times are expected to be 3 minutes a lap longer, then it needs to factor that in).
It can basically be changed any time up to the start of the race.

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
Self Preservation...

The Canberra XCO course will involve elements of the World Cup and World Championships course including the revered 'Cardiac Climb' and 'Hammerhead'.
Easier lines will be provided around these sections to ensure the course is accessible to all comers.
I want to see this before I pay my money!

Looks like there has already been a bit of rock spider traffic around these tasty bits when I rode up there this morning. Normal peeps in their right mind don't normally ride through there unless there is good reason [training!] If I ride it fifty times between now and Feb 20 I might manage 200m metres out of the 1000m. I have a healthy dose of self preservation and the fire road up above looks like a perfectly good alternative...

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
The Canberra XCO course will involve elements of the World Cup and World Championships course including the revered 'Cardiac Climb' and 'Hammerhead'.

I want to see this before I pay my money!

Looks like there has already been a bit of rock spider traffic around these tasty bits when I rode up there this morning. Normal peeps in their right mind don't normally ride through there unless there is good reason [training!] If I ride it fifty times between now and Feb 20 I might manage 200m metres out of the 1000m. I have a healthy dose of self preservation and the fire road up above looks like a perfectly good alternative...
didn't think "easy" and "cardiac climb" went together :p

Hey Steve, just go the "hike a bike" option if in doubt ;-) Josie might be doing the same!

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
The correct trail title is actually Cardiac Arrest and me+cardiac arrest shouldn't be in the same sentence! I'm not sure of the origins of Hammerhead ..... maybe its reference to an outcome?

Your bride should be fine... those Bay Crits in 40+ heat will be a fond distant memory. You will be on the grid also?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
The correct trail title is actually Cardiac Arrest and me+cardiac arrest shouldn't be in the same sentence! I'm not sure of the origins of Hammerhead ..... maybe its reference to an outcome?

Your bride should be fine... those Bay Crits in 40+ heat will be a fond distant memory. You will be on the grid also?
still deciding if I will race - If you are racing grand masters I reckon I can hang around and heckle/provide support for if you require some it :)

akashra

Eats Squid
Typically they race in the Saturday afternoon session with U19 and Expert.
I'll follow up on this - thanks for the tip-off.

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
so when do veteran men race?
Typically they race in the Saturday afternoon session with U19 and Expert.
I'll follow up on this - thanks for the tip-off.
........ mmmmmm he, he well you did ask the question!

I think you might be drinking full strength on Saturday arvo. I'd like to see that!

I'll be up there with a vid camera doing a highlights reel ... at your age you should bounce pretty well.:help: