DH 2013 Norco Aurum (and others)

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
When Norco and their distributor told me they were going to replace my A-line frame under warranty I was unsure what I was going to do with the new frame. That was until I saw the pretty curves and pivot hardware of the Aurum frame in the flesh. I decided to spend some dollars and build the frame up to sample how it rides.

Frame - 2013 Norco Aurum
Rear shock - Elka Stage 5
Front shock/fork - Marzocchi RCV (temporarily)
Handlebars - Deity Dirty Thirty
Stem - Marzocchi
Headset - Cane Creek Angle Set
Grips - DMR lock on
Saddle - WTB Silverado (temporarily)
Seatpost - Norco
Front brake - Shimano XT
Rear brake - Shimano XT
Cranks - Shimano Saint
Chainguide - MRP G2
Chain - Shimano something or other.
Chain ring - E13 G-Ring (blue)
Pedals - Deity Decoy (old but perfect)
Rear derailleur - Shimano Saint
Rear shifter - Shimano Saint
Cassette - SRAM PG970 11-26T
Front hub - Hope Pro2 evo (blue)
Rear hub - Hope Pro2 evo (blue)
Front rim - MTX 33
Rear rim - MTX 33
Spokes - DT Swiss
Nipples - DT Swiss
Tyres - Maxxis Minion F 3C's
Tubes - None
Total weight - :noidea:

And here it is, not quite finished but ready to roll.

DSC01259.jpg

DSC01256.jpg

DSC01262.jpg

DSC01270.jpg

And it joins the Scalp in the stable, (Scalp here http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?247696-Nukeproof-SCALP&highlight=scalp)

DSC01267.jpg

And the rest,

DSC01275.jpg

Last edited:

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
what the review on the Aurum?
Haven't had a chance to ride the aurum yet, apart from pedalling it around where i I took the photos. From that short ride I found that all I need is a slightly shorter stem to tailor the cockpit to suit me perfectly. I also need to get a decent set of forks on it before I can properly judge it. But after the little taste I've had of it so far I definitely can't wait until it's finished and I hit the trails on it. I'll get back to you as soon as it happens.

doakwolf

Likes Bikes
That bike is going to blow your mind!

I've had my Aurum1 for about 4 weeks now - IN LOVE.

Tracks like a demon, loves anything rough, jumps well, corners incredibly well.

They're weapons.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
got a 2013 recently and also love it. Like to know how the elka rides. i got an vivid.

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
Nice ... what fork is going on ??
Not sure yet mate, I waiting to see what pops up in the trading section. Will be either Marzocchi or Fox though.

Like to know how the elka rides. i got an vivid.
I still haven't ridden the Aurum yet. I was going to on the weekend just gone but a mate needed a rear wheel, so I loaned him the rear off the Aurum and I rode the Scalp. (That's a good thing I suppose, I friggin' love riding the Scalp and I had him to ginnea pig the rear wheel I built. :evil:)

But to answer your query, Elka are still in the testing stages with regards to what valving they will offer in their shocks for the Aurum. I got in touch with NS Dynamics and they found Elka are leaning towards MC20/MR30 valving, which is what I happen to have in the shock mounted in my frame.
I found the Elka Stage 5 to be an excellent shock in my last bike, if a little noisy. It totally transformed the way it rode. It is super responsive to setup changes and because it comes tuned to your frame it takes no time to get it working really well. Compared to the CCDB in my Scalp the Elka is mega easy to use (spend the time though and the CCDB will work better). If I were in the market for another shock I would most likely get another Elka.
I'm pretty confident the Stage 5 will work well in the Aurum.

Tom Daniher

Likes Dirt
Get rid of the bombers on both and put on a pair of kashima coated fox 40s that would make the Scalp and the Aurum look way better!