2015 Giant Reign owners

DJR

Likes Dirt
No expert but pretty sure the dt swiss one have a springed handle that you pull out and rotate to change the angle right?....
Yeah the original skewer ( qr size /135mm ) was like that, tighten then rotate. Can't do that on the shimano but it clamps down a lot harder than you can screw the skewer on

thanks for the replies everyone.
I noticed it a couple of rides ago when the rear brake started making ugly noises, thought it was the rear linkages at first because i have never really had an axel just work its self loose. Before that it had never happened.

I will try giving the threads a good clean to get rid of any grease tomorrow and report back.

cheers
EW

DJR

Likes Dirt
I tighten it a few times a day at places like Thredbo. It's definitely the one part of the bike I don't like, so I would love to hear from anyone who has found an easy solution.
Take it to a shop that sells shimano axles and try one out. If it doesn't clamp down at the right angle get a washer between the frame and the clamp head . works fine on trance, reign should be v similar

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Take it to a shop that sells shimano axles and try one out. If it doesn't clamp down at the right angle get a washer between the frame and the clamp head . works fine on trance, reign should be v similar

Cheers - will give that a whirl.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was under the impression that these rigs were sporting RS maxles.... Appears I am wrong.

Surely you could source one of these as an alternative to the DT and Shimano jobbie.

beejay

Likes Dirt
I was under the impression that these rigs were sporting RS maxles.... Appears I am wrong.

Surely you could source one of these as an alternative to the DT and Shimano jobbie.
Thread pitch is different. Maxle is 1.75mm. Reign dropout is 1.5mm rear (pain in the arse)

I had this problem.

Tried loctite it doesn't work most of the time.

You need to remote the axle nut from the frame and give the threads a good clean with alcohol get all grease out. then clean the axkle threads. Then tighten it tight but you don't need to wrench on it.

I have done this and it stays tight all ride now.
I tried this today and it worked!
I went for a quick bash to test it out on the same trail and it didn't come loose. I didn't have iso or metho lying around, the closest thing i had was the dregs of an old bottle of gin and it worked fine.

I think ill replace it with a different axel in the long term though

thanks for the tip, i love a cheap fix!

herbman

Likes Dirt
I tried this today and it worked!
I went for a quick bash to test it out on the same trail and it didn't come loose. I didn't have iso or metho lying around, the closest thing i had was the dregs of an old bottle of gin and it worked fine.

I think ill replace it with a different axel in the long term though

thanks for the tip, i love a cheap fix!
Will try this out as this has started to happen with the rear axel on my reign.

Does anyone know the specs on the P-AM 2 rims, looking to replace them but I can't seem to find any info out on them?

peters

Likes Dirt
BCD on 2015 Reign 2?

I recently picked up a new 2015 Reign 2. I want to get a 34t NW ring but wanted to double check the BCD on the stock deore cranks.

Is it 104? Can't find much info online, I have measured it but want to be sure before I order.

XM 1501 wheels

Has anybody had any issues with the XM1501 wheels on the Reign 1 ?
They seem to be too light to hold the abuse a Reign can dish out .

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anybody had any issues with the XM1501 wheels on the Reign 1 ?
They seem to be too light to hold the abuse a Reign can dish out .
Are you riding the xm1501's yourself?

From what i've heard they're a fairly solid/reliable wheelset, just because they're light doesn't mean they can't handle abuse. 1600g weight range is pretty standard for that sort of bike.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
im quite surprised that giant specced the XM wheelset instead of the wider and stronger E series splines.

Have not ridden the XM1501s yet but i just bought a Reign and will pick it up on Friday and was wondering if the wheels are up to my local DH track, they seem a little light.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have them and am yet to have any major issues. Just make sure you keep the true up on them, especially during the wear in period. I've done a bunch of races incl rotorua EWS and a bunch of shuttling on DH style tracks and they're fine. Only thing that has hurt them so far is me running into a tree.

Edit: Also re the axle unscrewing itself, mine has done the same alot. Cleaning it all out seems to have helped but I've also gone the extra security of positioning it parallel to the lower rear chainstay and putting a few loops of electrical tape around the two.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Give a fuck about the dents. Worry about it when they crack there, and they won't. It'd probably lessen loads on welds if anything, LOL.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have them and am yet to have any major issues. Just make sure you keep the true up on them, especially during the wear in period. I've done a bunch of races incl rotorua EWS and a bunch of shuttling on DH style tracks and they're fine. Only thing that has hurt them so far is me running into a tree.

Edit: Also re the axle unscrewing itself, mine has done the same alot. Cleaning it all out seems to have helped but I've also gone the extra security of positioning it parallel to the lower rear chainstay and putting a few loops of electrical tape around the two.
and mine reign a month and wheel already has a decent dent and needs a true. have abused it good though. good idea with the axle, havent noticed mine coming loose yet.

any of you peeps done many mods? ive done the 1x10 and tubeliss and it weighs in at 14.5kg (large). like it a bit lighter...