2015 Giant Reign owners

indica

Serial flasher
They look fairly different to me - the dents, that is.
Surely a worry if different arms of the same company have very different ideas as to why the dent is there.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
They look fairly different to me - the dents, that is.
Surely a worry if different arms of the same company have very different ideas as to why the dent is there.
Not to mention how difficult it's going to be if selling second hand.
An visual dent (that looks non stock) is a definate "no thanks" for me if I'm buying.

will2

Likes Dirt
Not to mention how difficult it's going to be if selling second hand.
An visual dent (that looks non stock) is a definate "no thanks" for me if I'm buying.
Will be a good bargaining term when if I buy one second hand. "What's this then mate?!"

herbman

Likes Dirt
Hi

Anyone replaced their stock rear shock with something more fruity?

I have the Monarch RT, and it's not a bad shock but it does blow through its travel more than I would like.

Looking to replace mine but not sure what to go for?

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi

I have the Monarch RT, and it's not a bad shock but it does blow through its travel more than I would like.

I've just put a Fox DHX RC2 on mine. Yet to take it for a test run, but expecting it to be amazing, but I do love the feel of a coil shock, so I'm biased.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Hi

Before throwing it away bang some volume reducers in. Its a simple job and is very effective.

The pack of rubber bands is alot cheaper than a new shock.

Last edited:

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi

try some volume reducers first, very simple mod that makes quite a difference to the progression of the spring rate as the shock goes deeper into its stroke

herbman

Likes Dirt
Hi

Thanks for the input about the rubber bands. But I'm currently running 4 and still not getting the mid stroke support I'm after. The rubber bands have worked well when the shock is deep in its travel but the issues in berms and G outs is still there

Brent

udi

swiss cheese

Most air shocks follow a digressive to progressive curve, and the initial spring rate can be very high. The result is, for a reasonable sag setting, the shocks do blow through the middle part of the stroke very easily. Cans like the debonair attempt to fix this, but are less than amazing. A better solution would be a Fox shock with a Vorsprung can, or something like the new Float X2 Air. These should offer a noticeable improvement over your Monarch.

However those will still pale in comparison to a coil shock, so if you're happy with the increase in weight and can find the right spring (ideally in Ti or lightweight steel) then that's the ultimate solution. I think a small shaft RC4 works very well in the Reign if you can find one in correct size.

herbman

Likes Dirt
Most air shocks follow a digressive to progressive curve, and the initial spring rate can be very high. The result is, for a reasonable sag setting, the shocks do blow through the middle part of the stroke very easily. Cans like the debonair attempt to fix this, but are less than amazing. A better solution would be a Fox shock with a Vorsprung can, or something like the new Float X2 Air. These should offer a noticeable improvement over your Monarch.

However those will still pale in comparison to a coil shock, so if you're happy with the increase in weight and can find the right spring (ideally in Ti or lightweight steel) then that's the ultimate solution. I think a small shaft RC4 works very well in the Reign if you can find one in correct size.
Why would the vorsprung can work better the the debonair? And would the fox version of them work as well?

A new float x2 is first on the list but is rather $$$. So I have been looking at a monarch plus but other than more oil is there any rear difference between them and the normal monarch? A float x in gold with there fancy new air can in the right size has also popped up locally but will it be any better than the monarch?

Or would I just be better to look at getting the current shock tuned by someone like NSD?

But now it's time to ride, so I'm mite have a think about a coil as I climb.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why would the vorsprung can work better the the debonair? And would the fox version of them work as well?
Also very interested to hear your detailed take on this..... Comes across a bit biased without clarification.

I think the M+ Deboniar is a fantastic bit of kit. Granted not many people will find their perfect setup right out of the box, but that's the beauty of it, it's so easily tuneable by the user, so it covers a wider gamut of bikes and riders.

The EVOL and Vorsprung cans look great too, and I'm certain they're the same principle, but at least with the Vorsprung you choose the can to match your bike, and that may give you instantly better performance out of the box, but the theory is the same.

I highly doubt either brand is significantly better over the other.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Also very interested to hear your detailed take on this..... Comes across a bit biased without clarification.

I think the M+ Deboniar is a fantastic bit of kit. Granted not many people will find their perfect setup right out of the box, but that's the beauty of it, it's so easily tuneable by the user, so it covers a wider gamut of bikes and riders.

The EVOL and Vorsprung cans look great too, and I'm certain they're the same principle, but at least with the Vorsprung you choose the can to match your bike, and that may give you instantly better performance out of the box, but the theory is the same.

I highly doubt either brand is significantly better over the other.
Vorsprung Corset's are shock size, not bike specific (except for the specialized enduro and DRCV shocks)

i'm also intrigued as to why a corset is a better offering than a debonair.

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Hi,
I'm currently looking at buying a 2015 reign advanced 1, I was wondering if a size medium would be a tad big. I'm 170cm (5'7") and on the Giant website I am inbetween a small and a medium.
i can't test out sizes due to my location, so any advice would be awesome.
thanks

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi,
I'm currently looking at buying a 2015 reign advanced 1, I was wondering if a size medium would be a tad big. I'm 170cm (5'7") and on the Giant website I am inbetween a small and a medium.
thanks
Hey, we're near identical in size, I'm 172cm.

Go medium, the extra room is amazing. I would suggest putting a shorter stem on, I'm running a 40mm, and I've now gone back to 740mm bars. Super happy.

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Hey, we're near identical in size, I'm 172cm.

Go medium, the extra room is amazing. I would suggest putting a shorter stem on, I'm running a 40mm, and I've now gone back to 740mm bars. Super happy.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.
That's what i was wanting to hear. I'm buying second hand and there seems to a lot more mediums available. 3k is about a correct price?

beejay

Likes Dirt
Hi,
thanks
I'm 170cm as well and I'm on a medium reign too. Fits perfect with a 40mm stem and 780mm bars for me.

udi

swiss cheese

A new float x2 is first on the list but is rather $$$. So I have been looking at a monarch plus but other than more oil is there any rear difference between them and the normal monarch? A float x in gold with there fancy new air can in the right size has also popped up locally but will it be any better than the monarch?

Or would I just be better to look at getting the current shock tuned by someone like NSD?

But now it's time to ride, so I'm mite have a think about a coil as I climb.
Just take my word for it - have ridden them all and been in this game for a long time.
In my experience, when it comes to spring curve linearity (which is the exact problem you've objectively recognized and need to solve), the pecking order is:

1. Coil
2. Vorsprung and Float X2 Evol (both cans have similar performance)
3. Regular Evol
4. Debonair
5. Any air shock that isn't equipped with a modern negative chamber can (All DB Air shocks included!)

Getting the current shock tuned is not going to solve your problem at all. Limit yourself to the first two options only if you want a real solution.