2016 Stumpjumper Carbon

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahhh OK. I currently have the 2016 XT's and they have this weird inconsistent lever feel and was just wondering if you cracked the shits and went back to the old model (which were flawless).
Hmm i'd probably give them a bleed first.

My old sets of xt's, (both 2015 and 2016) had very few issues. I'm having weird moaning/vibration coming from the rear caliper on this one when it heats up, really not sure what'd be causing it.

slowmick

38-39"
Hmm i'd probably give them a bleed first.

My old sets of xt's, (both 2015 and 2016) had very few issues. I'm having weird moaning/vibration coming from the rear caliper on this one when it heats up, really not sure what'd be causing it.
My XT's are the opposite - they make weird moaning/vibrations when cold and it disappears when they heat up. it comes back when the cool down....

harry.indy

Likes Bikes
Nice little vid.

Looking for a new 140-150mm trail bike and the Stumpy is on the radar.

So is a Lapierre Am 527.

Is that what your co star was riding?

Thoughts ?

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice little vid.

Looking for a new 140-150mm trail bike and the Stumpy is on the radar.

So is a Lapierre Am 527.

Is that what your co star was riding?

Thoughts ?
Apologies for the delayed response. Yep that's what one of the other guys is on.
Just ordered a monarch plus debonair for the stumpy, looking forward to testing it out.

Got a pretty decent ride in at the You Yangs on saturday, think i'll be spending a lot of time there over winter while everywhere else turns to mud.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Apologies for the delayed response. Yep that's what one of the other guys is on.
Just ordered a monarch plus debonair for the stumpy, looking forward to testing it out.

Got a pretty decent ride in at the You Yangs on saturday, think i'll be spending a lot of time there over winter while everywhere else turns to mud.
How's she ride with the monarch compared to the fox?

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How's she ride with the monarch compared to the fox?
Only taken it for a couple of rides since swapping but the the difference is ridiculous, so much better mid stroke support on the monarch.
Was able to carry so much more speed through consistent rough sections of track, huge change to how the bike rides.

It has pretty good small bump too, even though after a day of riding downhill tracks i'd only used 80% travel, will drop the sag to 23-25% and ride it a bit more.

That being said, someone should still buy the fox off me ha, going cheap.

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Monarch

Sweet. Did you have to source this from specialized? I see lots of the pro riders setup with the monarch plus so assume it's a factory thing. I can't find anywhere on the net that sells the monarch in the same size. I've come from mainly riding bikes that don't have propriatory mounts etc so this is new to me

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet. Did you have to source this from specialized? I see lots of the pro riders setup with the monarch plus so assume it's a factory thing. I can't find anywhere on the net that sells the monarch in the same size. I've come from mainly riding bikes that don't have propriatory mounts etc so this is new to me
What size do you need? theres one in the for sale section.

mint355

Likes Dirt
Zaf has one..... He ain't pro

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sourced one through the Australian distributor for Rockshox, Monza Imports. It's a Monarch plus in 197x48mm. They're also available through chain reaction:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/rockshox-monarch-plus-rc3-rear-shock/rp-prod139338

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Few upgrades since my last update. Decided to add a debonair can to the monarch so that i could play with air volume. It's made a significant difference again which is sweet.

Also upgraded the standard roval noodle wheels for some Carbon Bicycle assymetrical carbon rims, laced to hope hubs with DT revolutions and brass nipples. Very happy with how its riding, shame i've now got 6 weeks off the bike after should surgery/bone graft.

IMG_20161009_181607.jpg

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks great. curiousn why you chose to run DT revs over the comps?
Weight/curiosity pretty much. My mate who built the wheels has built heaps of carbon wheelsets, mtb and road, and said they'd be fine. I've seen revs been put through a fair bit of abuse without snapping so thought i'd give them a go.

They feel pretty amazing and i've done a fair few k's on them and couple of races, can't fault them.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Decided to upgrade the pikes to some 36's, definitely a worthwhile swap, feels so much better. New drivetrain on the way next.
IMG_20170406_222727_792.jpg

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Great forks, but what makes them better than your Pikes?

Always keen to understand what people perceive to be wrong with forks, and what they've done to try to address it (without swapping them out).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great forks, but what makes them better than your Pikes?

Always keen to understand what people perceive to be wrong with forks, and what they've done to try to address it (without swapping them out).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess there was nothing 'wrong' with the pikes, these are my third set of pikes and I'd played a lot with tokens and air pressure to get them to feel similar to a pair of 2016 fox 34 factory forks i had on my previous bike. They just didn't seem to be as supple through the rough stuff off the top and ramped up quite harshly at the end of the stroke. I had contemplated trying a vorsprung luftkappe until these popped up in the for sale section.

The 36's are incredibly stiff chassis wise and predictable through rough stuff. The support through the stroke is so good, i can push harder through turns because they've dramatically improve small bump performance/grip and i'm more comfortable going harder off drops into harsh landings because they take the impacts so much better.

Pikes are still a great fork, but the 36 is without doubt better performance wise.

Last edited: